The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-20-2020, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
The prices in you link are in Australian dollars, but actually it is much cheaper than Tonewood.

Another variation of the effects pickup is below.

In US dollars direct from China, price is pretty good. You could almost buy two for the price of a Tonewood . . . . but of course, assembly required.

https://8soundsmusic.com/products/fr...system-pickups

A different glimpse of package contents for assembly from Italian site:

https://www.mercatinomusicale.com/mm...id5771248.html
Yes I'm aware the one I linked is in AU dollars. Just an FYI the one you linked is the older S1 version. That was once used by Enya but now they're using the S3. I don't really know if it's "newer and improved" but it definitely looks a lot more compact and sleek compared to the S1.
Old 07-20-2020, 06:33 PM
Guest 928

Hummm. Maybe a Fernandes Nomad for some augmented projection, and cool look.
Old 07-20-2020, 08:09 PM

For those of you who are interested in the tonewood for adding volume or projection to your nylon guitars I found I could run a simple test of the TA to see if it makes a noticeable increase in volume....I put the tonewood on the back of my Emerald harp guitar and plugged my sable into the tonewood with a 10 ft patch cord keeping them 10 feet apart......By strumming the sable and listening to the effects come out of the emerald I was able to listen for any noticeable difference in the volume of the tonewood guitar vs the acoustic projection from the sable.....at normal usable settings on the tonewood/emerald,the volume did not seem louder than the projection of the sable when strumming....Even maxing out the gain and volume on the tonewood made little difference in volume/projection only adding distortion to the effects...My conclusion is the added depth and presence that TA effects produce may trick the ear to perceive the guitar as being louder but to my ears it was pretty equaly balanced between guitar projection and effects projection
2005 Gibson Es 335
2012 Gibson Les Paul standard
2017 Fender elite stratocaster
2001 62 AVRI Fender stratocaster
Old 07-21-2020, 05:03 AM

Interesting experiment but with a strange outcome. If you attach the tonewood to another guitar, how can there not be a volume increase? Because now the effect is actually added to the volume of the guitar, instead of a single guitar body that is doing all the work.

This reminds me of a situation where adding a second guitarist to a band produces a weaker overall sound because the new guy is playing the same parts as the first guitarist.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 07-21-2020, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
Interesting experiment but with a strange outcome. If you attach the tonewood to another guitar, how can there not be a volume increase? Because now the effect is actually added to the volume of the guitar, instead of a single guitar body that is doing all the work.

This reminds me of a situation where adding a second guitarist to a band produces a weaker overall sound because the new guy is playing the same parts as the first guitarist.
Think of it this way...sound is measured in decibels...60 decibels of sound is the same volume whether it comes from 1 , 2 or 4 speakers....If you spread 4 speakers around the room the sound reference point will change but overall volume will still be 60 db
2005 Gibson Es 335
Old 07-21-2020, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
I'm interested in hearing how this works out. I have an x7 nylon that I quite like but it is a bit quiet unplugged.
IMHO the Tonewood can definitely add some volume. Certainly not enough to replace using a PA at a gig, but significant enough to be noticeable in a smaller setting.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed62 View Post
I tryed 2 longer strips of alien tape the length of each of short sides of the tonewood today instead of the 4 corners just to see and boy did it stick to the sable.Stuck maybe a little too well..I had all I could do to get it off but it finally let loose and slowly pulled off the back LOL....Needless to say I cut the strips a little shorter and stuck the tonewood on my resonator where I plan on keeping it for awhile anyway....Its on there good and it starts to lift off when I tried get it off so I think Im good..... My advice is to start with the corners and see how that works for you with the cargo
Got the Alien Tape in and tried it tonight, with two 1" squares to hold the TWA to my Cargo. It worked really well – as good or better than I had possibly hoped. However it was indeed a serious challenge to get the TWA back off of the guitar – think next time I'm going to try 3/4" pieces.
Old 07-28-2020, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ealmasy View Post
Got the Alien Tape in and tried it tonight, with two 1" squares to hold the TWA to my Cargo. It worked really well – as good or better than I had possibly hoped. However it was indeed a serious challenge to get the TWA back off of the guitar – think next time I'm going to try 3/4" pieces.
HaHa , yeah I took mine off the steel resonator the other day and I thought I was gonna have to use a cutting torch to get the tonewood off...Finally let loose and came off nice...That tape is the nuts !!!
2005 Gibson Es 335

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber