The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 05-10-2020, 12:51 AM

Location: 4 miles from Abbey Road, 5 miles from Page's Gibson(maybe), 120 miles from the Richards's mansion(I think)
Default Album/compilation of classic bluegrass music

Does anyone know if there exists a single album compilation of classic bluegrass music(by which I guess I mean the most commercial) from various artists.

I had a look on amazon music and could not really find anything.

I am new to the genre so want to sample a number of artists ideally in one downloadable compilation.

Any advice gratefully recieved.
Old 05-10-2020, 08:35 AM

Rounder has some:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/58957:...tar_Collection

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Hand...elease/4174604
Fender Baja Telecaster
Old 05-10-2020, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Although I had heard some bluegrass in the early-mid 60's, I never really dug in to it very much...

Until The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band put out an album called, "Will The Circle Be Unbroken" in the early 70's... the Dirt Band were local for me, being raised in Orange County, Ca., so perhaps that was one reason that I warmed up to this record so easily...

Not ALL standard bluegrass tunes, but a lot of 'em... and with Roy Acuff, Vassar Clements, Doc Watson, Maybelle Carter (?), Ferlin Husky, Bill Monroe and the likes, you had (what I now realize was ) a pretty darned good compendium an cross-section of the genre.

Don't know if you can still get a hold of this; was a 3 record set, very nice packaging, as I recall... and some REALLY good music with stellar playing and a whole lot of heart!

This was decades ago, so "New Grass" had just gotten started - don't even know if that title has been levied on the genre as of then... certainly Sea Train, Old and In The Way and others were already making inroads towards what has become New Grass...

Lots of fun to explore... Have Fun!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 05-30-2020, 11:17 PM

Early Doc Watson ( actually just about any Doc Watson) albums like Midnight Train. The Will the Circle Be Unbroken is a try classic. No Bill Monroe though but you do get Earl Scruggs, who was the major force behind getting all the artists together. Should be available on CD, even iTunes. ( I didn’t look). There are two albums, the second one came out some 20 years later. It’s ok, the the first double album is the one you want.
Martin D28 1937 Aged Authentic
John Walker Lochsa
Roberts Slope Dread
Johnny Rushing Ditson Style 12 Fret
Beard Goldtone Resonator
Bob Thompson Slope Shoulder
Old 06-06-2020, 07:21 AM

In addition to the Rounder discs mentioned, there is

Classic Bluegrass from Smithsonian Folkways

This has many less commercial but still important groups featured, Red Allen, Hazel Dickens and a live segment by the Stanley Brothers. Stanley brothers are essential for bluegrass appreciation, as are the Ralph Stanley bands of the 1970s, great music.

Check out Countysales.com and look for compilations, they will have any important ones.

I have mostly discs of individual bands, but a compilation might be a good start to see if you prefer hard core grass, or some of the more mellow offerings like the Seldom Scene. But any of it will be worth listening. Good luck and enjoy the music.
Old 06-06-2020, 08:34 AM

Rebel Records was the premier label for quality artists for many years.

35 Years best in Bluegrass 1960-95 has all the quality bands and many less famous groups, one couldn't go wrong with it. This will be missing Flatt and Scruggs and Monroe, but they are available other places.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN