The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-01-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
Hmmm...keen eye there...
Thanks, he needs to be watched closely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Wait..what?? Who...when? I'm a sneakster?? I will investigate ...well after I eat stuff and take a few naps and go pull some weeds..then get to the top of this!!
Come on spill the beans inquiring minds want to know this stuff!
Old 05-01-2020, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

A Sable is a Sable regardless of the "package". To some, the gold package looks cooler, while to others the chrome/nickel and carbon weave (or basket weave) looks better. But underneath the trappings, it is still a Sable.

That said, we should each get whichever package does it for us.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-01-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
A Sable is a Sable regardless of the "package". To some, the gold package looks cooler, while to others the chrome/nickel and carbon weave (or basket weave) looks better. But underneath the trappings, it is still a Sable.

That said, we should each get whichever package does it for us.

Tony
Absolutely! My attraction to the gold package was solely for the EVO frets though I have no issues with the rest of the package. Black on gold does provide a nice contrast. Sure I do prefer the all blacked out look but wasn't going to compromise on the frets. Just curious, are you aware of any particular reason why they don't offer stainless steel frets?
Old 05-01-2020, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
Absolutely! My attraction to the gold package was solely for the EVO frets though I have no issues with the rest of the package. Black on gold does provide a nice contrast. Sure I do prefer the all blacked out look but wasn't going to compromise on the frets. Just curious, are you aware of any particular reason why they don't offer stainless steel frets?
No, but you could email Justin at McPherson and ask. I know that my CA Guitars Cargos all have stainless steel frets, so that should certainly be an option.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-01-2020, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

If I remember correctly, the first Kevin Michael had stainless steel frets but they stopped using them due to the excessive tool wear. I asked them if it would still be possible to get them instead of EVO Gold, but it’s not.
Old 05-01-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tøf View Post
If I remember correctly, the first Kevin Michael had stainless steel frets but they stopped using them due to the excessive tool wear. I asked them if it would still be possible to get them instead of EVO Gold, but it’s not.
Cool thanks for sharing. So far I've done stainless steel re-frets myself on 2 of my electric guitars in the last few years. It's definitely a lot more labor intensive than nickel frets and I could certainly see the issue with extra wear and tear on tools. Not something I would want to be doing everyday that's for sure.
Old 05-02-2020, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Ok sneaky Kramster I just noticed that the Sable is no longer in your signature. The last bit of detective work I did on you regarding the X30 turned out to be correct. My senses are picking up a new incoming Sable Gold Honeycomb...
What....kramster is buying a new guitar....unbelievable
Old 05-02-2020, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixedgear60 View Post
What....kramster is buying a new guitar....unbelievable

I uhhh..well...uhhhh.. I’ll get back to you, if I remember .
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-02-2020, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
I uhhh..well...uhhhh.. I’ll get back to you, if I remember .
You're not allowed to acquire any more carbon fiber guitars. Only wooden ones from now on!
Old 05-02-2020, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
You're not allowed to acquire any more carbon fiber guitars. Only wooden ones from now on!
"More Sables" is the modern version of "more cowbell" that used to be the SNL cliché.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-02-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
So far I've done stainless steel re-frets myself on 2 of my electric guitars in the last few years. It's definitely a lot more labor intensive than nickel frets and I could certainly see the issue with extra wear and tear on tools. Not something I would want to be doing everyday that's for sure.
This has been the conventional wisdom - excess tool wear from harder stainless steel frets makes them a no-go.

But some also report a change in tone with SS frets versus regular nickel silver. Bob Taylor says that they have explored using stainless but "...did not like the tone...". I suspect that the extra labor and tool wear involved in a high-production factory environment was the real reason, with tool wear as a convenient justification. I don't recall anyone comment negatively on EVO frets changing the tone of their guitar.
Old 05-02-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
"More Sables" is the modern version of "more cowbell" that used to be the SNL cliché.

Tony
Yes that was an awesome skit. If Bruce Dickenson wants more cowbell, he gets more cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
This has been the conventional wisdom - excess tool wear from harder stainless steel frets makes them a no-go.

But some also report a change in tone with SS frets versus regular nickel silver. Bob Taylor says that they have explored using stainless but "...did not like the tone...". I suspect that the extra labor and tool wear involved in a high-production factory environment was the real reason, with tool wear as a convenient justification. I don't recall anyone comment negatively on EVO frets changing the tone of their guitar.
Yeah that's interesting nonetheless. I can see SS frets having a subtle impact on the overall tone but not drastic, though, that would be hard to prove. You're right, it's more than likely a justification to not use them due to the extra labor involved and tool wear.
Old 05-02-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post

I just had one of my Parlors refretted in EVO. At three months nickel silver would look dented and these still look brand new. No local repair shop would use stainless for tool wear reasons and lack of experience. The Brother (Brothers Music, Wind Gap PA) who did my EVO frets commented that when he snipped off the fret ends the bits of EVO would go flying and he laughed that they would never be seen again (apparently very dramatically different than nickel silver). EVO must be harder and more brittle than nickel silver in ways the standardized Vickers test must not completely reveal (200/250/300 NS/EVO/SS).

I suspect the two X-Martin Brothers had not used EVO before either but since Martin is using EVO on the Modern Deluxe just down the road a bit they felt obligated to agree.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 05-03-2020 at 04:40 AM.
Old 05-02-2020, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

It is my hope to never need a refret. Between my original Cargos all with their stainless steel frets and my McPhersons, all with their EVO frets, there should be little to no wear. All these guitars are also all carbon fiber except for the frets, tuning machines (Gotoh 510 minis on the Cargos and Schaller on the McPhersons), and Elixir nanoweb strings, so I think maintenance-free is my expectation.

When the economy picks up and people start GASing again, I intend to move toward fully carbon fiber by selling off my wood instruments.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-02-2020, 11:45 PM

My understanding is that stainless steel frets causes issues with the plek machine and that that is why McPherson stopped using SS early on the touring (Travel). I think I read it here on the forum.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber