The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-15-2012, 02:12 AM

Question Guys Im new to this section..

Can any1 explain me what u guyz r discussing in this section and what are carbon fiber instrument..
playing a handcrafted acoustic.

Check out my youtube channel: www.youtube.com/user/yasaswijethilake
Old 04-15-2012, 06:56 AM
Charter Member

In no particular order....

http://rainsong.com/
http://www.caguitars.com/
http://www.emeraldguitars.com/
et. al.
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 04-15-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yasas.w View Post
Can any1 explain me what u guyz r discussing in this section and what are carbon fiber instrument..
any1? u guyz? Are you texting this query in?
Old 04-16-2012, 12:45 AM

Don't forget Blackbird.

http://www.blackbirdguitar.com/index.html

There are only 4 makers of carbon fiber guitars and reading first what they have written about their guitars is a good start. Then look at some of the info on this part of AGF and their is also a lot of info at MacNichol forum where there are many discussions by owners also.

MacN
Old 04-16-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yasas.w View Post
Carbon fiber instruments are just that, instruments, made from carbon instead of wood. There are many instruments built using carbon but here the talk will mostly be about carbon acoustic guitars.

Currently there are four main builders of carbon acoustic guitars, Rainsong, Blackbird, Emerald and Composite Acoustics. All four are different in looks, feel and tone, and all four have their following. Rainsong is the leader in the field, they were the first and they produce the most guitars at around 1000 guitars a year compared to 200 to 300 guitars a year each from Blackbird and Emerald. Composite Acoustics went under March of 2010 but was acquired by Peavey Electronics who are building some gorgeous guitars. Not sure how many guitars CA has built since the new ownership but my guess is that the total number of carbon acoustics built by the four builders mentioned add up to less than what Taylor builds in a week.

The biggest selling point of carbon guitars is their durability and their resistance to climate changes, but many people buy them strictly for their tone which can be outstanding. If you have not tried one you really should. Some of the brands will be a bit more difficult to locate but most Guitar Centers will have a Rainsong or two for you to try.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcole View Post
any1? u guyz? Are you texting this query in?
Even if this was sent as a text, it's just as easy to to type "guys" as it is to type "guyz", so maybe this style of writing is a personal preference.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pauhana View Post
Even if this was sent as a text, it's just as easy to to type "guys" as it is to type "guyz", so maybe this style of writing is a personal preference.
Or if English isn't your first language. If this is true and you also text a bit, it's easy to default to the spellings you use the most and which are understood by everyone you 'normally' communicate with.

Also, this forum probably has a slightly older demographic and we're not as used to these shortcuts. I've stumbled on some forums which are populated by much younger groups--and there I've seen this type of SMS short hand writing is common.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Currently there are four main builders of carbon acoustic guitars, Rainsong, Blackbird, Emerald and Composite Acoustics.
Hi mates,
There are a few carbon resonator models on the market. Delta in the UK and Beltona, also John Alderton has one. There are also some others.

Do they get the bodies from the builders mentioned above or are there more than 4 by now?

Cheers, FM

"Never play a note you don't believe"
Old 05-29-2012, 10:06 AM

For someone new to the concept of carbon fiber guitars, it's probably worth repeating Ted's statement: "The biggest selling point of carbon guitars is their durability and their resistance to climate changes..."

With wood guitars, you really have to worry about humidity (high or low) and extreme temperatures. While CF guitars can sustain some damage due to high heat (though less likely than wood), they are much less likely to have environmental related issues. They are also a lot sturdier (much less likely to break or crack) and they stay in tune much better than their wooden counterparts.

One big advantage of CF construction is that specialty guitars are possible that can't be done (or are compromised) with wood. Take the 12-string guitar, for example. When made of wood, you either need to make the top thicker, beef up the braces or tune the guitar lower in order to maintain structural integrity. If you put 12 strings on a standard 6-string guitar and tuned them to concert pitch, the guitar simply wouldn't last very long before it fell apart or imploded. No matter what you choose, it's a compromise. With CF, you don't have to make that compromise. Heck, I've got an 8-string acoustic bass that really just can't be done with wood.

The big knock on CF guitars is that they're not made of wood. Some people just can't get over that. However, if you can look past that, there are many advantages and they are well worth looking into.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:44 PM

Talking

Played a Rainsong at GC and was amazed at how good it sounded. A Rainsong will definatley be a future buy for me, hands down one of the most durable acoustics out there.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalebk View Post
The big knock on CF guitars is that they're not made of wood. Some people just can't get over that. However, if you can look past that, there are many advantages and they are well worth looking into.
I'm sure people do knock the non-wood aspect, but in all my years of hobbyist guitar, I ALWAYS thought (and will continue to believe) that the holy grail was T.O.N.E.!
Old 06-01-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
I'm sure people do knock the non-wood aspect, but in all my years of hobbyist guitar, I ALWAYS thought (and will continue to believe) that the holy grail was T.O.N.E.!
I agree. I'm lucky enough to live close to MacNichol Guitars, so every time a new model comes along and Michael has one in the shop I go over and try it out. I'm looking for a CF guitar for the durability and the stability against humidity and I want one that sounds like a great wood guitar. Add to that, I want one that has a traditional shape to it. I think that is the sweet spot for CF guitars.

The new Rainsong BG is the closest thing I've seen yet that hits all three marks if you want a 12 fret dred.

As far as tone and warmth, the new Composite Acoustics GX is the gold standard for me. It's braced like a wood guitar and it sounds like wood. I'd buy one tomorrow if it wasn't for the funky cut away.

Michael is going to contact me when a CA OX comes in so I can try that out. I'm hoping its the best of both worlds.

One thing I can say about these CF guitars is that every one I've seen has been top quality construction.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H View Post
As far as tone and warmth, the new Composite Acoustics GX is the gold standard for me. It's braced like a wood guitar and it sounds like wood. I'd buy one tomorrow if it wasn't for the funky cut away.
Dave, have you tried the CA Legacy? I've got a Vintage Performer (same as vintage-voiced Legacy) and it has a great woody tone. I believe they still offer it in two voicings (modern and vintage). I would imagine one of those would work nicely for you.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalebk View Post
Dave, have you tried the CA Legacy? I've got a Vintage Performer (same as vintage-voiced Legacy) and it has a great woody tone. I believe they still offer it in two voicings (modern and vintage). I would imagine one of those would work nicely for you.
I did, and I had high hopes for it after hearing so many good things about the pre-Peavy Legacys. I'm not sure which model of the new Legacy Michael had but I was disappointed in the tone. It was more thin and trebly than I was expecting. I believe the body on the new Rainsong BG is deeper and the bridge is located more in the center of the lower bout so maybe that contributed to it's deeper woody tone.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:37 PM

Dave, if you get a chance, try a vintage-voiced Legacy. My VP is anything but thin and trebly; it has that classic dread tone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber