The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-12-2012, 05:12 AM
Charter Member

Default Looking for my next Rainsong....

So having my H-DR1100N2 for about six months and loving it, I decided that I want to get another smaller guitar, and have been thinking about an OM sized body. I typically don't gravitate to them, because to me, they tend to sound too small, but the RS OM clips on Youtube have changed my perception a bit, and I now have an open mind to a CF OM.

My dilemma is whether to do a Hybrid OM (H-OM1100N2), or go for a Shorty SG. While the body styles and sizes are the same, I'm just not sure what I would prefer, as the scale length and bridge position will certainly have an affect on tone. I want as much punch as possible with a nice high end timbre, but not harsh. I play phosphor bronze strings.

One thing I know for sure, is that I want a gloss finish. I am not a fan of the FT finish at all. Also, it must be acoustic only. No electronics or barn doors. If I need to amplify, I will install a K&K PWM.

Any opinions or thoughts around this would be greatly appreciated, especially someone who has played or owned both models.

Thanks in advance,

Dave
Old 06-12-2012, 06:27 AM

Well, we are a dealer where I work and I have played both models. I liked the H-WS1000 but, in the end I bought the Shorty SG. I think that the position of the bridge on the Shorty made it very warm with more bass then the other model with the treble zing I was looking for (what I can think of to describe the sound). The OM body style is still a loud guitar that responds very well to your pick attack and super comfortable to play. I was not sure about the punch the guitar would have but, it will drown out most wooden acoustic dreads of the other players I have jammed with unless I really keep my picking at a moderate level. I hope this all helps you in your descision

Gone But Not Forgotten
12 RainSong S-WS1000
11 Taylor 814ce
11 Taylor 414ce Spring Limited
11 Taylor GS Mini
09 Taylor T3
09 Taylor 514ce
90 Taylor 510
Old 06-12-2012, 07:44 AM

Lovin' my Shorty..just sayin'
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 06-12-2012, 12:57 PM

Dave, as I'm sure you already know the Shorty is a short scale with 12-fret design that moves the bridge back towards the "sweet spot" so what you get is added warmth from the short scale, and some more warmth from the repositioned bridge. The difference is not day and night but it's there. Normally a short scale gives up some volume and projection which might be a concern to you but in this case the Shorty's unidirectional carbon fiber top (as opposed to the hybrid top of the S-OM) makes up for any loss of projection.

The big thing to consider is the overall size. The Shorty is 1-1/2" shorter than the OM so it can either feel cramped, or intimate depending on your build. I own both and find the Shorty a little cramped when I first pick it up but after a few minutes it feels great. Bottom line, you can't go wrong with ether one.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:27 PM

Shouldn't the OP also pay close attention to the necks? The Hybrid OM (H-OM1100N2) has the N2 neck and (correct me if I'm wrong) the Shorty has the slimmer NS neck which is dimensionally what all RainSong's had until the N2 neck became available.

I decided on my RainSong H-WS1100N2 before the Shorty was available and was concerned about the N2 neck as I have very small hands. But I demo'd both necks a couple of times and decided I didn't mind the N2 (they are noticeably different in my hands). I probably would have chosen a Shorty had it been available but no worries, I continue to adore my WS1100 and for many songs the beefier neck can be a plus. This simply means that my next guitar will be a Shorty.

I agree with those above that say you can't go wrong with either one. I thought finally owning a RainSong would satisfy me but I really need/want another and it will be a Shorty.
2012 Fender American Standard Strat
2015 Fender American Standard Telecaster
1965 Fender Mustang (Original)
Squier Vintage Modified Mustang Bass
iPad2 w/SetListMaker
Old 06-12-2012, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

Thanks very much to everyone who responded. I think I am leaning towards an OM rather than a Shorty. I am "slightly oversized" (6'3", 240lbs.) and have pretty big hands. The H-DR1100N2 neck fits perfectly in my hands, and I'm concerned that the Shorty would feel cramped as Ted mentioned. I'm also concerned about the thinner neck as Sonicland pointed out, especially since I love the N2 neck.

I wish there was a place here locally that carried the full line of RS acoustics, so that I could try them out.

One thing I did notice, is that there doesn't seem to be an OM model listed on the RS website that's offered without electronics. I wish I could just order a custom setup. What I think I would go for is the following:

A CO-OM1100N2 (no electronics) with the unidirectional sound board and the abalone rosette and bridge pin inlays, but no fretboard markers (pure black). I would also like a set of the Gotoh 510CZ tuners in black chrome installed.

Does Rainsong even offer custom guitar options? Before I did this, I would certainly make sure that I play both a shorty and an OM to remove all doubt as to which setup I would prefer.

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to respond.

Regards,
Dave
Old 06-13-2012, 05:55 AM

MacNichol's or LA Guitar Sales, can handle a custom order. I've bought instruments from both and they are both excellent. Jon
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 06-13-2012, 06:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
MacNichol's or LA Guitar Sales, can handle a custom order. I've bought instruments from both and they are both excellent. Jon
Jon,

So does that mean that Rainsong will take a custom order? I should just call Ted when I get a moment. On vacation right now and enjoying my H-DR100N2. Just wish the weather was was cooperating, but it's still better than being at the office!

Thanks again,
Dave
Old 06-13-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser View Post
Thanks very much to everyone who responded. I think I am leaning towards an OM rather than a Shorty. I am "slightly oversized" (6'3", 240lbs.) and have pretty big hands. The H-DR1100N2 neck fits perfectly in my hands, and I'm concerned that the Shorty would feel cramped as Ted mentioned. I'm also concerned about the thinner neck as Sonicland pointed out, especially since I love the N2 neck..
Really sounds like the OM will work better for you but folks should know that the Shorty does in fact have the N2 shape neck with the adjustable truss rod. And yes, you can order any Rainsong without electronics.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Really sounds like the OM will work better for you but folks should know that the Shorty does in fact have the N2 shape neck with the adjustable truss rod. And yes, you can order any Rainsong without electronics.
Ted,

Thanks for the response. Great that I can order without electronics. What about a CO without fretboard inlays, but keeping the abalone rosette?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 06-13-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser View Post
Ted,

Thanks for the response. Great that I can order without electronics. What about a CO without fretboard inlays, but keeping the abalone rosette?

Thanks,
Dave
No problem Dave, we love making the folks at Rainsong go crazy with special orders.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
No problem Dave, we love making the folks at Rainsong go crazy with special orders.
Ted, how about a Shorty with the N1 (original) neck?
Old 06-13-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
Ted, how about a Shorty with the N1 (original) neck?
Sorry Ed, no short scale N1 necks at this time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber