The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-08-2012, 04:22 PM

I've always used Augustine Blue but they seem harder and harder to find so right now I'm trying D'Addario Pro Arte high tension and so far I give them a thumbs up.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:55 AM

Pro-Arte Hard Tension - best strings I've used.

Dan
Old 03-13-2012, 10:35 PM

D'Addario Pro Arte medium tension, consistent, long lasting, nice sound.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:53 PM

I'm still searching for my perfect set. I have some Galli carbon strings on one guitar, which sound good, but feel much too tight to my fingers. Particularly the high E. Harder to play than a well set up steel string, and those are "normal" tension I suppose I could make a new saddle with lower treble action, but seems too much trouble. I have some Oasis carbon trebles, so I'll try those next.

On my other guitar, I have some Aquila Ambra nylgut strings. I love them. Wonderful sound and feel, and very even across the board. Definitely my current favorite. Only problem is that they never seem to stop stretching. I've been playing on this same set for over a month and still have to tune up every day (although it may be that taking them off and on "resets" the stretching process, which I've done a number of times since the guitar they're currently on isn't actually finished yet)

I don't like D'Addarios. Particularly the G, just sounds and feels tubby and not fitting in with the rest. At least on my Cordoba.

I used to use the Savarez 520F set, which has a wound G. Great sound, but the G is higher tension than the rest so even though it sounds more even than a regular fat G, it feels wrong. It also breaks pretty frequently.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical