The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-22-2011, 03:19 PM

Default Short Scale Classical for $2,200?

Hi,

I just started playing more classical lately, and I'm looking for a short scale (630mm ~ 640mm). The nut width can be anywhere between 48mm and 52mm, although I like it to be a bit narrower than 52mm. My budget is $2,200.

Any recommendations?

I have looked at some Hill guitars. The non-Chinese ones seem to be out of my budget, unless I find a good deal on a used one. Is there any other guitars I should check?

Oh, I don't need electrics.

Thanks
Old 02-22-2011, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Check the Guitars For Sale section over at DelCamp.us
Old 02-22-2011, 06:18 PM

There's a Hill New World Almeria 640mm, 51mm up for auction on Ebay right. The New World guitars are all-solid, well-made, and a great bang for your buck. The Almeria would bring you in well under budget. If you're patient, you'll find a used Hill that meets your specs. Great guitars.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaddyT View Post
Check the Guitars For Sale section over at DelCamp.us
Thanks. I'll check.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogsnax View Post
There's a Hill New World Almeria 640mm, 51mm up for auction on Ebay right. The New World guitars are all-solid, well-made, and a great bang for your buck. The Almeria would bring you in well under budget. If you're patient, you'll find a used Hill that meets your specs. Great guitars.
Yeah, I know this one. It's in my watch list. I may get it, but not sure yet.

Do you know the neck shape of the Almeria? I asked the seller, but haven't received the answer yet. Tonight, I played the 650mm eStudio, and the neck was pretty thick.

Thanks
Old 02-23-2011, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk49 View Post
Do you know the neck shape of the Almeria? I asked the seller, but haven't received the answer yet. Tonight, I played the 650mm eStudio, and the neck was pretty thick.
I'm not sure if you're referring to the width at the nut or the neck profile. I haven't played an Almeria, but I think the width at the nut is a just tad narrower than the Hill Estudio, 51mm vs. 52mm. In general, all the Hill guitars I've played have a middle-of-the-road, c-shape neck profile and are quite comfortable, especially for steel string players making the nylon switch over.

Larry Darnell has a couple of narrower width New World guitars for sale on his his site as well. Keep in mind, these have a 48mm width at the nut, which I personally find too narrow:

http://www.thehandmade.com/instruments/classical.html
Old 02-23-2011, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogsnax View Post
I'm not sure if you're referring to the width at the nut or the neck profile. I haven't played an Almeria, but I think the width at the nut is a just tad narrower than the Hill Estudio, 51mm vs. 52mm. In general, all the Hill guitars I've played have a middle-of-the-road, c-shape neck profile and are quite comfortable, especially for steel string players making the nylon switch over.

Larry Darnell has a couple of narrower width New World guitars for sale on his his site as well. Keep in mind, these have a 48mm width at the nut, which I personally find too narrow:

http://www.thehandmade.com/instruments/classical.html
I was referring to the thickness of the neck, not the width. I can probably live with 52mm, but I can't deal with thick and fat necks. The 650mm eStudio that I played tonight was a little too thick for me. I also played the Cervantes Crossover, and the neck was a little too narrow, and I believe it's 1 7/8". I think 630mm or 640mm scale with 50mm nut width would be perfect. Again, the neck needs to be thin, though. The Crossover had a nice thin neck. I also tried a Cervantes Hauser, and the neck was thin enough. It's 650mm/52mm, though.

I exchaged a few emails with Larry today. He told me to call Kenny. His shop is 45min from here, so I should probably stop by sometime.

Thanks for all the info.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:17 AM

I would also check Pavan guitars. Tom builds a short scale and I have heard very good things about his guitars.

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 02-24-2011, 07:59 PM

Hey MK!
Wet weather isn't it?
You might want to try Bruunari guitars. Bruno Merks is a luthier in the Netherlands and gets all sorts of instruments. I bought a Rodriguez 645 mm from him.
He also builds classicals and flamencos.
Here is his site.Tell him Jan sent you.

http://www.bruunari.nl/home.php
Old 02-25-2011, 01:09 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I went to Kenny Hill's shop today, and played some guitars. Very nice people. I have a feeling that I'm going to spend a lot more money than I orignaly planned.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:26 AM

It will be money well spent. Kenny Hill makes outstanding instruments. When I was first making the transition to nylon strings, I owned one of his master series crossover guitars. It was one of the short scales as well - 630mm if memory serves me right.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:32 PM

Visiting Hill's shop gave me some ideas of what I want. Unfortunately, they didn't have it in stock. Then, I found a dealer who had one that's very close to what I wanted. I ordered it this morning, and it'll be here tomorrow.

I ordered the Kenny Hill Performance in Torres body with 630mm scale. I played 640mm at Hill's, and it was comfortable. Hopefully, the 630mm is even better or not much different from the 640mm.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

There won't be a lot of difference. 5 mm proportionally divided between 19 frets. Figure that out, per fret. The other 5 mm will be absorbed by bridge location and/or changes in the body.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:06 PM

I received the guitar today. It's pretty amazing. It's very responsive with great clarity. It's got great dynamics. I'm getting used to the 630mm scale. How I hold the guitar is less critical with the shorter scale. With the 650mm scale, I have to hold it in a certain way to play some of the stretches.

It was interesting to know my hands aren't as small as I thought, though. When I went to Hill's shop, I told Kenny that I was looking for a short scale guitar. While I was playing the 630mm and the 640mm guitars, they told me that my hands weren't that small. I compared mine to Kenny's, and they were about the same size.

I ended up paying more than double, but I'm prett happy with the guitar.

Thanks
Old 02-27-2011, 12:07 AM

Congratulations. Pics please.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical