The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-27-2010, 02:10 AM

Default Learning Bach's Cello Prelude-Learning curve

I love this Bach tune, and I really like it on classical guitar, so Im gonna go for it. This thread is for others who want to go through the tab, and maybe post progress, (so you can stay focused on learning).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KsxTmN1BSA

Just an experiment. Anyone want to try this song out? I think it would take me a year, but we shall see...
Tab:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/..._major_tab.htm
Old 11-28-2010, 07:46 AM

Bach, is without question, my favorite composer for Classical guitar. That being said, he is amongst the most difficult to play, as most of his pieces were composed for the harpsicord. His pieces are considered in the "advanced" category, so don't beat yourself up if it is more than challenging your skill level.

On my list to learn is Bach's Prelude BWV 1007, and Bach Air. Another off topic to learn is the Theme Song from Schindler's List.

Peo Kindgren is a master:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F1tgImEymU

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo

Last edited by Kindness; 11-28-2010 at 07:57 AM.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:15 PM

Yes, this is his Cello prelude. The concept is to use 'peer pressure' to push through it, and learn it.

You say its on your list to learn, when? It starts out with a D chord, its actually not that hard, so far.

Then you can post your progress, others can say, hey, I need to catch up.

So, when you gonna learn it?
Old 11-28-2010, 07:24 PM

Well, I do have the music, I suppose I can give it another try. What makes the piece difficult is some of the stretches. Yes, it "starts" out easy, but she gets mighty difficult!

It is always good to tackle a piece above one's level, but even my teacher said this one is advanced (he is a master's level student who studies under Frank Koonce, yes the reowned editor of Bach's major pieces). http://www.frankkoonce.com/

I'm working on a Carcassi piece and an Oshio piece right now. As soon as I have those down and memorized, I will have a look at this one again.

Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo

Last edited by Kindness; 11-28-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:42 PM

Yea, those stretches bother me. I gave up on Mozart in C, but I was taking on way to much for my level. This is a year or more for me.

There is only one or 2 Mozart in C on youtube, the one with the dog barking seems to be the best.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itself View Post
His pieces are considered in the "advanced" category, ...
Not all of them. "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" is somewhere between late beginner and early intermediate. On the basis of technicality, it's considered to be an easy piece (contrary to what many might think upon hearing it). It's just long. If I recall correctly, only one barre is even required and it's a 2-string barre for the duration of a quarter note.

Other relatively easy pieces include:
  • Bourree (from the 4th Cello Suite)
  • Bist du bei mir
  • Menuett in G (Anna Magdalena) - Many of you have heard this one
  • Gavotte (from the Third Violin Partita)

One mistake that many players make is to play many of these pieces FAST. This is music and not a race. Check out my neighbor Julie's pace as she plays the same piece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r9xbwj1M70
Old 11-28-2010, 08:10 PM

GuitarVlog,

Jesu Joy is a good one! And yes, very good point about playing slowly. I also really take time to break the piece down. For myself, I like to memorize and play without mistakes so many measures, and then move on and learn more. This really builds confidence.

I did not mean to burst your bubble about the Cello Prelude!! I so wish I had the skill level for that piece as well as Bach Air on G. I just melt when I hear Per Olov play these!

But I have to evaluate myself and make sure I don't take on too difficult a piece. Not only is it frustrating, but I do think it can break one's confidence. And most of Bach's pieces are difficult, unfortunately (sparing a couple!)

If I do take on a more difficult piece, I make sure I am also learning an easier one at the same time, so that I can work between the two pieces.

Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 11-28-2010, 08:12 PM

I like 'Where sheep may safely lay", very simple.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:52 PM

The Bach solo cello suites are my favorite collection of music of any type on any instrument. Terrific idea.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:46 AM

I spent a bit of time last winter learning this - what a wonderful, beautiful composition!

It's kind of funny - I'm not the most knowledgeable guy when it comes to classical music.
Just about every time I would see a clip of Yo Yo Ma, he would be playing this, and I would be going "What is that piece?".........it was almost driving me crazy.

Then, I bought a Yamaha CG171SF, and a few books of classical guitar music to go along with it.
The Cello Prelude was the second song in one of the books.
I remember vividly how when I played the first couple of measures I just started smiling and laughing.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:38 PM

thats because his genius and simplicity was touching you.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:36 AM

Great thread Blackheart, thanks for starting it. BWV 1007 is one of my favorite pieces ever, very moving. I tried to take on Aire on a G-String a year ago, but I was not quite ready for it... you have inspired me to give another go, and I do think I am ready. Afterward, I will try BWV1007... keep this post alive... Vlog, a great little list of other peices that are "not too difficult" (for me, anything by Bach is difficult, but worthwhile)

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 02-27-2011, 07:46 AM

OK, I have officially started work on Bach's Cello Prelude. I just started playing 14 months ago, and I am trying to gain some sense of what it takes to learn a piece at different levels of proficiency. I don't play every day, and some weeks more than others... I am averaging 50-60 hours of practice per month. I have now spent 3 sessions, a total of around 4 hours, working on this piece. I am trying to measure my progress for each of several steps:

1. Work my way thru every phrase, looking for the difficult bits to play (Done... there are five bits that will require work to play even at a slow tempo)

2. Memorize the piece and play in time a very slow tempo, say 40-50 bpm... I use both the front-end and tail-end memorization methods. (I estimate 10 hours over 1 month to know the music by heart... it is memorized when I can consistently "look ahead" and play it from beginning to end from memory).

3. Work on the details, shifts, hand position, clarity, dynamics. At the end of this process, the piece should be good enough to play in front of friends. (I estimate this will take another 20-30 hours over 4 months)

4. Work on emotion, breathing, expressiveness, confidence, consistency... this is the mastery level of a piece. I estimate another 80 hours over 1 year.

I devote more time per practice session to newer pieces... I let the learned pieces "age and mature" more slowly.

This forum and Delcamp have been great resources for me, learning about music and musicality. I know I spend too much time here and not enough actually playing, but I try to focus here on things that need work in my playing (such as practice planning for improvement... this thread). Thanks once again to everyone here for your input... I learn something from every forum participant.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!

Last edited by billder99; 02-27-2011 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Reconsidered time requirements
Old 02-27-2011, 04:22 PM

Ive gotten to row 9, and am stalled out! Maybe we should post what we have so we are forced to play it more.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:53 AM

I am now working on rows 9&10, and also on rows 20-22... I was strongly advised to learn a long piece from both ends toward the middle. I am definitely not ready to put anything on video... unless you go first.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical