The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-16-2010, 11:32 AM

Default Capricho Árabe

The fast descending scale in the 11th measure is it best to play with alternating i m or just with the index using alternating up and down strokes? I have been using the latter technique but i have been told that in classical guitar the alternating i m technique is the only bona fide method to play it.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:39 AM

I would play it by using alternating strokes with the index and middle finger. Even if your alternate method works well enough, sooner or later you are going to want to be proficient with the proper, classicl technique anyway.

Last edited by Herb Hunter; 06-16-2010 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Typographical mistake
Old 06-16-2010, 11:57 AM

Default Back to the drawing board.

I hear you, sometimes the desire to play a piece caused one to ignore the good advice of others. Suppose i must work on my picado.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:21 PM

While up/downstrokes with i might be frowned upon, don't think you're "stuck" with i-m alternation, even when adhering to proper classical technique.

You might want to consider how you finger the passage with the left hand, and then apply a more complex but perhaps easier/more efficient right hand fingering, such as a mix of i-m and a-m-i, or using the occasional p-i passage to facilitate a string crossing.

Strict i-m is not ALWAYS the best way (although you can definitely play this particular passage successfully in such a fashion).

Hope this helps.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:54 PM

I think the thing to do is learn to play it like this guitarist and once that is accomplished, if one still prefers a single finger technique then one can always revert to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDMr2...eature=related
Old 06-16-2010, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Great song. I played it so many years ago I can't remember the details but you would alternate fingers to play the passage.
Often which finger you begin the run with makes a big difference in the outcome. Once you find it stick with it.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-16-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
I think the thing to do is learn to play it like this guitarist and once that is accomplished, if one still prefers a single finger technique then one can always revert to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDMr2...eature=related

I only would advice not to rest the thumb on the strings while doing such passages, but the i-m finger technique is right.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:27 PM

Alternating i up and down seems like a much more difficult (lazy) method of playing at high speeds.

No better method than hard work and dedication to securing a hard passage.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:44 PM

Wonderful piece. One of my "to learn" classical pieces for too many years. One day.

I like Jason Vieaux's interpretation. It's alive. He's using i & m in that passage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThruwvV25nc
Old 06-16-2010, 11:47 PM

Default Lazy stay in bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonca View Post
Alternating i up and down seems like a much more difficult (lazy) method.
I must admit that i am guilty of being a bit of a lazy guitarist, relying on technique more suited to other styles instead of learning bona fide technique. Since i dont actually know any classical guitarists in person I'm happy to have found this resource to discuss the different points of correct technique and improve my lazy attitude.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:10 AM

When I come up against a quicker, more technical passage, I try distance myself from the instrument. As in, I treat it as if I don't have a care in the world. Relax, look around the room and breath while you work on each string crossing.

Use speed bursts, dotted rhythms, play with staccato slowly to simulate playing fast.

You could spend an eternity on hard scale runs if you have the desire!
Old 06-17-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamóN View Post
I only would advice not to rest the thumb on the strings while doing such passages, but the i-m finger technique is right.
Why would you so advise? I notice that Jason Vieaux rests his thumb in this video clip of a Capricho Árabe rendition (song begins one and half minutes into the video clip) and I have observed that Christopher Parkening and other classical guitarists rest there thumb for similar runs. I am not arguing that resting the thumb is better or more proper. I'm simply curious as to why you recommend against it.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:28 AM

Mr Vieaux does a really fantastic rendition of this piece, so inspiring.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Why would you so advise? I notice that Jason Vieaux rests his thumb in this video clip of a Capricho Árabe rendition (song begins one and half minutes into the video clip) and I have observed that Christopher Parkening and other classical guitarists rest there thumb for similar runs. I am not arguing that resting the thumb is better or more proper. I'm simply curious as to why you recommend against it.
I agree that at times resting the thumb on a string is a common and useful technique.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-17-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:

I would advise not doing that for someone who is still in a learning stage of their technique. Those guitar players you mentioned, already have a proper developed technique and they have the freedom to play in different ways and still accomplish what they want, at least they seem to.

If someone learning gets used to rest the thumb, its almost always oriented to rest tension from the hand to achieve speed. The way i prefer is that you shouldnt need to do that and you should achieve clarity and speed with a fully relaxed hand so you dont need to rest tension anywhere. And it gives the hand more independence to play fast scale runs while using your thumb to play a bass line. Like in this version of czardas for example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XEWqFh6ES8

in 1:04 you hear the fast runs not so clear, he is having a hard time keeping the tempo and the bass notes are barely audible while they should sound much louder and staccato. Thats what happens with a not so relaxed hand making a fast melody with bass. (im just setting an example, his performance is still very good, this piece is really hard to play on guitar)

Couldnt find another example of this version of czardas so Here is zorba the greek by cacho tirao:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gxMgwqJBjk

starting 3:20 there are some fast runs and they have an open string bass line. This video isnt his best performance of this piece but you can hear the difference. Thats for me is a relaxed hand that doesnt need to rest tension anywhere and has full finger independence in those kind of passages.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical