The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-27-2015, 09:40 PM

Default Memory card for Tascam DR-05

Pulled the trigger on a Tascam today. Will be the first time I've recorded myself since the 70's! {Yikes!} Will most any micro SD card work with the Tascam DR-05? I see a list of compatible cards on the Tascam site but I suspect the list is quite old.
The one I had in mind is this one on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-microS...micro+sd+32+gb
Sorry if I messed up the link. It's the Sandisk 32 GBmicro SDHC UHS-1 card. Thanks for your replies!
Dave
Old 11-28-2015, 01:49 AM
Charter Member

There should be a list of cards that will work with that in the packaging of the unit. I have the same one and like it quite a bit. I bought a card at Costco, and don't really remember what size it is, but I do remember that the DR-05 has an upper limit of the size it will take. Check your manual before you buy something...

By the way, it comes with a decent enough card in it that you can get more than a couple hours from using... I have my unit set for mono recording, which doubles your recording time at whatever resolution/speed you choose to use...

I've found that the DR-05 can produce fairly well-balanced recordings (mine have guitar and voice) without any additional eq or effects... I put mine on a tripod, suing a corner of my dining room/kitchen area to get a "corner loading" effect. I have the unit about 12-14" in front of me (quite close!) and I vary the height of the tripod, depending upon my picking and singing style/volume for any particular tune. (You can hear some of them on my Soundcloud account, under John Seth Sherman... the two that came out the best were "Shelter..." and "Payday", I think.)

The sound thins out very quickly if you're too far away from the unit; I suppose that could be "fixed in post", as they say, but I don't really have any recording software on my PC, and wanted to make the songs as "presentable" as possible with one take, no production... SHIP IT! (Ha!)

Hope you like yours... very handy little recorders!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 11-28-2015, 04:46 PM

Thanks Jseth!
I guess the card that is included will be enough for now.
Your music sounds very nice. If only I could sound that good! {Not likely in this lifetime}
Hope I don't have to make a guitar bonfire after finally hearing myself again.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD