The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-04-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crobs808 View Post
So you would opt for a ES-N Taylor with an Aura pedal over a Fishamn Taylor without?

Thanks
Yes.

I used to have an NS72ce-LTD which I really miss so I have a lot of experience with the Fishman Prefix Pro Blend system. I often had to turn down the microphone lower than I wanted in order to avoid feedback. Sometimes I had to turn it off completely.

Last edited by Herb Hunter; 02-04-2011 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Typographical mistake
Old 02-04-2011, 01:41 PM

Well it sounds like what you like is the plugged-in sound of the older Taylor model. What you want to know is how the ES-equipped Taylors sound plugged in, by comparison. And better or worse unplugged sound doesn't seem to matter much.

In that case, try an ES-equipped Taylor. There's nothing that has arrived on the market in the last eight years that you'd expect to sound better to you plugged in than a Fishman-equipped Taylor. Maybe, maybe not the ES. Maybe, maybe not some other pickup. But you're basically wanting to compare the sound of various pickup systems and there haven't been any quantum breakthroughs that I'm aware of in nylon-string guitar pickups.

P.S. If you can't find any way to try out a current model Taylor then be sure to order from somewhere with a two-day or seven-day trial period and be able to return it if you don't care for it.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 02-04-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
Well it sounds like what you like is the plugged-in sound of the older Taylor model. What you want to know is how the ES-equipped Taylors sound plugged in, by comparison.
I can't imagine that the ES-N sounds too, too different compared to the mic-less Fishman formerly used in the lower-end (cost-wise) NS's, but they do obviously have a different preamp. They're both basically UST's with an internal preamp.

Nick
Old 10-14-2013, 01:02 AM

I bought Cervantes Crossover 1 for my son.
He doesn't like neck on my classical guitars, but likes the sound.
I am very, very pleased with Cervantes Crossover, even to point that it is hard to believe how great it sounds unplugged.
Later I installed L.R. Baggs Anthem Classic system (I left job to guitar shop, although it doesn't look too complicate) and bingo. Amplified sound is so expressive and rich in subtle nuances that I started to play this guitar on many ocassions. I think we are going to buy second one. It is PE wood combo.
Taylor amplified or not doesn't come close (to my ears at least) in richness, dynamic and stimulation for lively kind of playing.
Crossover 1 is guitar I can warmly recommend to anyone who is with same dilemma as I was to buy nylon/classical kind of guitar with 'steelish type' of neck and bit smaller, more comfortable body. My first bet was Taylor and I am happy I didn't make the mistake.
Other than that, I have really nothing against Taylors, they look nice.
I can imagine some like their sound, as well.
Try Cervantes or even buy it blindly, as there is very great deal of chance it will be no need to search further.
LR Baggs electronics can be found for 170$ shipped.
My main classical guitar is Contreras Doble Tapa that is 10x price of Crossover and I have quite a good ears, if that means something, as reference basis.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical