The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-22-2013, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJP5 View Post
Out of curiosity, which Roland do you recommend?
The Roland AC-60.rev/del/chorus/ 2 input mic/line/phantom power. feedback sweep (very handy)
I remember the earlier versions having a sweepable notch filter
Kid brother is AC33, but it has less options and is only a little cheaper.

Last edited by ballynally; 03-22-2013 at 05:14 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

My shop got the Fishman Loudbox Performer in today. Texted me when it arrived. I'm off work this week recording my second album, so I ran down there with my Breedlove Bossa Nova nylon crossover and my Samsung tablet (where my backing tracks live) to plug into the Performer and see how she sounds in my gigging setup. Awesome! Louder and bigger sounding that my Mini (obviously) at 3X the wattage. Much more in the way of options. FX loops for each channel, Aux input volume knob, DI outs for each channel, and a DI mix out, tweeter in/out button, feedback/phase control for each channel. I've been 100% satisfied with the Mini for the past year, but the Performer seems to have enough options to make the upgrade worth it. So he sent it home with me to try out at my gig tomorrow. Will still likely take my powered 1X12 PA cabs (Alto 800 watt class D), due to the nature of the room size and shape. But having gigged the Mini alone for many gigs, I have NO doubt about the Performer's ability to fill most rooms volume-wise. Just don't want to have to blast the people right in front of me to get the sound to disperse throughout the weird-shaped room I'll be in.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:13 PM

Try a few different options. First, I would probably avoid buying a nylon crossover with electronics already built in, but I would opt for playing unplugged until sound satisfies you and then go with k&K classical mini or k&K mini for amplified sound. I have both a classical and also a new nylon crossover that is a Pono solid rosewood/englemann. The crossover does have radiused neck, but it does sound quite nice, and if I was going to play gigs, I wouldn't hesitate to put in a k&K mini system...probably classical. The comments made regarding amps was good info. Good luck and happy plucking.
Parkwood PW-340 FM-E spruce/maple
Guild GAD 30 PCE...spruce/padauk
Timberline T-70A/C
Tacoma DR-20
Tacoma DM-9
Guild GAD25
Old 03-25-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
Wow... your experience could NOT be different from mine. I took home several of the new Roland acoustic amps AND the Fishman Loudboxe Mini and the Mini CRUSHED ALL of the rest for NATURAL tone. NO comparison. Read the reviews out there. There are FAR more positive reviews of the Loudboxes than the Roland ACs. In fact, my local dealer is the one who sent me home with several of the Rolands to try and I took them back because the tone from my Breedlove Masterclass nylon crossover (NOT a cheap guitar and loaded with the LR Baggs Dual Source pickup system) was very artificial through them. I also ran some backing tracks that I use from my tablet PC and they sounded very muddy. Not natural and "hi-fi" as they should have sounded. So I ordered a Loudbox from Musician's Friend to try. Loved it from the moment I turned it on -- for both natural guitar tone (steel string AND nylon string), as well as using the Aux Input for the backing tracks, which sounded very crisp and natural.

Told the Roland dealer about my experience and they picked-up the Fishman line. Now they sell a lot of the Loudboxes and the Rolands gather dust. I've been gigging my Loudbox for a year now. In venues ranging from small rooms, to large rooms, to outdoors. Whether I'm using the Loubox solo, or running out of its DI-out into my PA... it always delivers and sounds great. I've got the next three weekends in a row of gigs in various venues, as well as a video interview and performance for my local newspaper and my Loudbox will be with me at all events. I've never had a $300 amp that delivered like this amp has.
Good for you! I must be wrong then..since so many people agree with you!
(i'm off to gather some dust)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical