The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-21-2012, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Default Do you record with or without finger/thumb picks?

I asked this question as part of my H4n thread, but I think this topic is interesting enough that it deserves its own thread. I usually play fingerstyle with a thumb pick and Pro Pik Fingertones. I like the crispness, precision, and volume I can get from them.

However, when recording, they can also generate a bit more noise. For the most part, the fingerpicks are ok, but I do get significant clicking with my thumb pick on certain tunes (it's a very stiff, thick, and well shaped Red Bear thumb pick).

How many of you actually record with finger and thumb picks? What are your tricks to minimizing the noise associated with them?
Old 09-21-2012, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

Default Aloha Justin

Aloha Justin,

I used metal fingerpicks for years because my natural nails are so fragile & could not be toughened up (tried everything).

The last 15 years or so, for more touch & consistency, I use a thumbpick with acrylic nails on the other fingers. Much better control. Unlike some players who look like they have on claws (Ha!), I keep my acrylics short, just over the tip. I use a combination of tip & nail.

I go to a manicurist about every 1-1/2months. $10/incl. tip. 1/2 hour. Three fingers done to spec. I use files to maintain the right smoothness, shapes & heights I need. I've tried different acrylic mixes to cut down on the noise created by harder mixes.

RE: Plastic thumpicks. Norman Blake gave me some pointers in the 70's.

Go to a manicurist supply house & grab a selection of rough-fine files. Or get a variety of sandpaper grits, rough to fine. You can use either to thin, reshape & refine your thumbpicks (National, Dunlop, etc.). If you shape your nails right, you won't get the noise on recordings, especially if you don't attack the strings at an angle (tip).

But the best advice? Put your thumbpick in a microwave for a few seconds, take it out & hold in the shape of your choice while it's cooling. That really works, Justin.

I never use thumbpicks that are too rigid. I work them to my liking using above techniques. It's a lot easier to work a decent strum into your fingerstyle with a much-thinner thumbpick. That's for sure. The stock Nationals are so hard & far too thick that they are difficult to control.

Try it!

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 09-24-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

To get at least one example of the difference, compare early Kottke recordings (e.g., 6 & 12 String Guitar, Greenhouse, Mudlark albums) with middle and later Kottke recordings (e.g., My Father's Face, One Guitar No Vocals albums).

Leo started his career with fingerpicks and changed to no fingerpicks (basically callous with fingernail backing) about 30 years ago.

Although fingerpicks have many positive attributes, it is very hard, if not impossible, to utilize the right hand technique called "preparation" with fingerpicks.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:19 AM

With. That's just the way I play. Had a producer give me a lot of grief about it once because of the pick noise. I suggested he use a cheaper microphone. No sense of humor whatsoever, that guy.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:36 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
I asked this question as part of my H4n thread, but I think this topic is interesting enough that it deserves its own thread. I usually play fingerstyle with a thumb pick and Pro Pik Fingertones. I like the crispness, precision, and volume I can get from them.

However, when recording, they can also generate a bit more noise. For the most part, the fingerpicks are ok, but I do get significant clicking with my thumb pick on certain tunes (it's a very stiff, thick, and well shaped Red Bear thumb pick).

How many of you actually record with finger and thumb picks? What are your tricks to minimizing the noise associated with them?
Juston,
I would not try to get rid of any noise associated with my playing, frankly, and trying to be more quiet about it has a really negative effect on my overall performance.

You can certainly try some different thumbpick material, lengths, etc, but in the overall scheme of things, as a solo player, it's part of what you are, and that's okay.

HE
It Ain't Necessarily So: http://howardemerson.com/music2.html
Old 09-22-2012, 09:49 AM

Seems like I've worked "for years" to get the best sound possible with picks. I've come realize that they are with me, for better or worse! I play with two OLD Nationals ( WW2 vintage) and so their surfaces are smooth and worn which are part of the key to getting the best recorded sound ( for me). I do turn them slightly on my fingers to get more of a direct strike and this helps a lot. At times, I alternate between one National and one Finger Tone depending on the song I'm playing. My thumb pick ( current fav are Golden Gate) are managed with filing and shaping to taste. Here, I try to balance the sound/tone I'm getting with the finger picks to what the thumb pick will offer. It's "hit or miss" with filing and shaping but I know right away when I've got a good one made and try to duplicate a couple as back ups.
Mic positioning could also help. Listen to where the pick sound is most evident, and then move your mic away from that location and see if the pick noise is reduced some. This tip came to me from a guy who is a recording engineer and author when I asked this same question.
Overall, I think technique has a lot to do with it too......something to work on over time.
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 09-22-2012, 10:16 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I could never get the feeling I needed with fingerpicks and then I studied classical, which got me into meat and nail. These days I use applied liquid acrylic.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-22-2012, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Hi Juston

I've developed a style I like that that is based on what sounds great out front of the guitar, and not just to me behind the guitar. As a result, I don't have to alter things to record.

If you don't like what you are hearing in the recordings, it may mean you would not like it as much were you sitting out front and listening to you play. This is a tricky part of playing and recording.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD