The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-13-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs-R-Me View Post
Too "LARGE" to accept a smaller string??? How could that be?
string buzz...not always but I does happen
Old 01-13-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john bange View Post
string buzz...not always but I does happen
But my point was that the nut slot would still "accept" the smaller string. It may or may not buzz, but the smaller string would still go into the larger nut slot. OTOH, if you meant to say that the nut slot was too "small" to accept the larger string, then that makes sense, but I'm not sure if it's factually correct because I don't know if a wound G string is smaller or larger than a solid G string.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:43 AM

A wound G string is thinner than a monofilament one and it will fit into the G nut slot. It usually works OK, but as john bange said, you can sometimes get string buzz. You can usually cure this by placing a small piece of paper in the slot belore fitting the wound string - just trim off any excess paper with a razor blade and the fix is invisible.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:29 PM

fyi...

I just got some Pro Arte hard tension composites in the mail. I've only had them on for a little while, but the difference in sound quality and the "g string issue" already seem a dramatic improvement for this instrument. Yes, the g is now the color of phlegm, but from 5+ feet away, I don't find it even the slightest bit offensive. It's less "tubby". The higher tension seems to improve things for this instrument, imhbao.

Thanks for all of the great help!

Aparicio AA100 Classical Spruce/IR
Guild GAD-50e (meh)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical