The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-12-2021, 06:30 PM

Default 0000 or SJ 12-fret w/ cutaway?

Hi All,
I want something with roughly 16" lower bout for a deep powerful voice, more OM than dreadnaught shape, 12-fret long-scale & cutaway for energetic (and sloppy, sigh...) fingerpicking in lowered tunings? Any recommendations?

I had actually commissioned a build from a hobby-luthier, but the poor guy broke his arm and we had to cancel. I'm looking at Sparky Kramer's offerings, since he seems to specialize in this feature set, fantastic but $$$. Is there anybody else or any small or medium shops that make such an instrument?

Cheers, /jd
Old 04-12-2021, 07:27 PM

Do you happen to live within driving distance of Western Washington?
If so, I have a builder to recommend.
He is why I don’t miss my Martins, Taylors and Gibsons.

But he won’t build and ship a guitar on commission.
Details upon request.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:48 PM

Alas, I live in central California. The drive up to Washington would be a bit much for me. I can understand not wanting to ship, it is a hassle and adds business risk. Thanks for the input though!
Old 04-12-2021, 08:57 PM

I think you're on a good track with Sparky Kramer. He is said to be a builder's builder, flying a bit under the radar, but knowledgeable people know he's really good. And he does this beautiful cutaway. There is a video of Eric Schoenberg explaining their collaboration model, the Quartett (you might already have seen it):
[https://youtu.be/VokgFw0k5ZM]
Old 04-12-2021, 09:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

Sparky is not only a great guy but a great builder. You would be getting one of the best out there.

However, how long does a broken arm take to heal? Is two months more too long to wait for a commission?

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 04-12-2021, 10:33 PM

>Is two months more too long to wait for a commission?
Not at all. The builder asked to end the project though. Apparently his arm will need some physical therapy, so it would be longer than that. The build had been a struggle already. It was his first 0000 build and there had been some problems. I think the project had become a burden. And to be honest the fun-factor had declined for me as well. But good will all around. Maybe in six months if I haven't made some other choice, we'll restart the project.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:31 PM
Charter Member

Sounds like a Froggy F12 could do the trick. If the cutaway isn't a must, I know of a member who is thinking about listing one. PM me if interested.

edit: I missed the long scale part. Froggy F12 only has a 25.25" scale. Maybe that would be too short for your needs.
Old 04-13-2021, 01:26 PM

Yeah, I could live with a Froggy Bottom. Maybe not afford it, but certainly enjoy it! I do need a cutaway though, due to the 12-fret neck. I have a 000-12 and I would like to have a bit more upper-register access than it gives me. Thanks for the lead though!
Old 04-18-2021, 12:23 PM

Well, I bought this one. I was lucky and pleased to find a 2nd-hand instance of the Quartet within driving distance. This saved me a year wait and considerable $$. That aside, it is a glorious instrument! It took me a year of searching to find the right, or nearly any, long-scale 12-fret cutaway 0000. Now I am happy and can stop watching the AGF classifieds. Cheers! /jd

https://reverb.com/item/6124842-schoenberg-quartet

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion