The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-12-2021, 04:30 PM

Default Interesting info about Fender acoustic strings.

Placing a string order with an online vendor, I noticed he stocked Fender phosphor bronze strings. Having never tried them, I emailed to ask if he knew who makes them (because it's a cinch Fender doesn't want to be in the acoustic string business). He asked Fender. They told him, and I quote: "Fender strings are manufactured by a name brand string manufacturer using the finest materials and construction methods. I cannot divulge the name of the manufacturer." So I told him to add a set to my order.

Well.

They arrived today, and upon inspection I noted the following when comparing them to D'Addario.
  • Their outer packaging is the same style as Godin, which are made by D'Addario.
  • They are all packaged together in a single thin inner plastic pouch, with color coded ball ends to distinguish them, like D'Addario, although the color code is different.
  • The protruding core wire on the wound strings is gold colored, like D'Addario. Ernie Ball also uses gold colored core wire but does not leave the same kind of protruding ends.
  • The ball end wraps are exactly the same length as D'Addarios, and are wound and anchored the same way.
  • The plastic pouch is clear, unlike D'Addario's opaque ones; but the pouches are exactly the same dimensions and sealed exactly the same way, and have the same perforation tear-offs at the ends.
  • The windings go in the same direction as D'Addario.
My conclusion? 98% certain these are rebranded D'Addario EJs. I'll be 99% certain once I put them on a guitar and listen.

Why should you care? Because they're a lot cheaper this way. I got them at gimmesomestrings.com, where they're $14.99/3-pack. If these truly are rebranded EJs, that's even cheaper per set than buying EJ in 25-set bulk packs.
Old 04-12-2021, 04:37 PM

I generally assume rebranded D'Addario when I see colour-coded ball-ends, but you've taken this to a refined science

I did once get something from china (I really can't remember what - might have been a $99 store-brand guitar) that also had colour-coded ball-ends, which we're really, really bad and I decided in the end that the stings were a Chinese knock-off of D'Addarios.
Old 04-12-2021, 05:24 PM

Graffiti Yellow is my favorite. B string.
Old 04-12-2021, 05:28 PM

Good post.
It will be interesting to hear how you like them too.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 04-12-2021, 08:20 PM

I believe gibson strings are rebranded or manufactured by d’addario as well.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphH View Post
I generally assume rebranded D'Addario when I see colour-coded ball-ends, but you've taken this to a refined science

I did once get something from china (I really can't remember what - might have been a $99 store-brand guitar) that also had colour-coded ball-ends, which we're really, really bad and I decided in the end that the stings were a Chinese knock-off of D'Addarios.
Having done the Giant String Experiment, I learned that there are other companies that color code the ball ends, but they usually don't use the same code. Cleartone/Everly uses the D'Addario colors in a different order. Mapes uses the colors of the spectrum, in order, which is both logical and cool. La Bella is blue, red, white, black, silver, brass. Dogal is black, silver, and brass. Closer to home for you, Rotosound is red, white, and blue.

Counterfeit D'Addarios are apparently a big problem. It's not hard to find stories and videos about this with a google search. Takeaway seems to be don't buy strings on eBay, or if you must, at least make sure the seller is an actual music store and not some skeezy fly-by-nighter.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:03 PM

D'Addario strings tends to be lighter than expected. Fender strings are heavier than expected. Quite different.

D'Addario 12s, for example, are too light and buzz on two of my guitars which are generally OK with 12s fitted. Fender 12s are just fine, noticably heavier than the average 12, and more like a "12 and a half" gauge set. Fender 13s are way too heavy on these same guitars, while various other-brand 13s are fine.

I hasten to add that there is nothing wrong with either brand. Both sell good strings. But they are clearly quite different and you need to know what to expect so as to fit the right set to the right instrument.

None of this proves that Fender strings do or do not come out of the D'Addario factory. In fact, I don't much care where they are made: I've used a few sets of Fender strings now and they sit in my spare string box ready for front-line use alongside other excellent strings from Martin, D'Addario, SIT, Darco, John Pearce, Elixir, Ball, and Rotosound.
Cole Clark Angel 3, Huon Pine & silkwood.
Cole Clark Fat Lady 2 12-string, Bunya & Blackwood.
Old 04-13-2021, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey_day View Post
I believe gibson strings are rebranded or manufactured by d’addario as well.
That was my thoughts when I got my Gibson; they looked and sounded exactly like d’addarios
Old 04-13-2021, 03:35 AM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
Placing a string order with an online vendor, I noticed he stocked Fender phosphor bronze strings. Having never tried them, I emailed to ask if he knew who makes them (because it's a cinch Fender doesn't want to be in the acoustic string business). He asked Fender. They told him, and I quote: "Fender strings are manufactured by a name brand string manufacturer using the finest materials and construction methods. I cannot divulge the name of the manufacturer." So I told him to add a set to my order.

Well.

They arrived today, and upon inspection I noted the following when comparing them to D'Addario.
  • Their outer packaging is the same style as Godin, which are made by D'Addario.
  • They are all packaged together in a single thin inner plastic pouch, with color coded ball ends to distinguish them, like D'Addario, although the color code is different.
  • The protruding core wire on the wound strings is gold colored, like D'Addario. Ernie Ball also uses gold colored core wire but does not leave the same kind of protruding ends.
  • The ball end wraps are exactly the same length as D'Addarios, and are wound and anchored the same way.
  • The plastic pouch is clear, unlike D'Addario's opaque ones; but the pouches are exactly the same dimensions and sealed exactly the same way, and have the same perforation tear-offs at the ends.
  • The windings go in the same direction as D'Addario.
My conclusion? 98% certain these are rebranded D'Addario EJs. I'll be 99% certain once I put them on a guitar and listen.

Why should you care? Because they're a lot cheaper this way. I got them at gimmesomestrings.com, where they're $14.99/3-pack. If these truly are rebranded EJs, that's even cheaper per set than buying EJ in 25-set bulk packs.
In the 90s, Fender made their own strings at their Ensenada factory... I personally witnessed them being wound by machines, inclosed in glass cases... The huge room where they were made was filled with what looked like, scores of aquariums, all winding several strings per minute! It was an interesting sight to watch! I didn't see any sets being packaged, just packed into 3"X 3ft tubes...

The Ensenada factory had over 600 people working there, building guitars, basses, cases, and low end amps. They also did lots of the buffing on their American instruments... It was an impressive state of the art operation....

Don
Old 04-13-2021, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
D'Addario strings tends to be lighter than expected. Fender strings are heavier than expected. Quite different.
How long ago did you reach this conclusion? As Don notes above, Fender formerly did manufacture strings. Also, though they're pretty clearly made by D'Addario now, we don't know if they've ever used some other supplier. If it's been a while since you did your testing, you might not have tested the current product.

When I unseal the Fender strings, I'll mike them against D'Addario and see if they're any different in gauge.
Old 04-13-2021, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
How long ago did you reach this conclusion?
Quite recently, DW. I bought the D'Addario EJ16s and Fender 12s and 13s in the middle of last year; more Fender 12s early this year; and the EJ38s just three weeks ago. It is possible, of course, that the vendors have been shipping me older stock - the Fender strings were a very good price, maybe the local importer had a stack of them from pre-pandemic times. The Fender packaging, however, is exactly as described earlier in this thread.

The EJ38s are an interesting example. I used them to replace a set of Elixir 10-47s on my 12-string which I'd tuned down to Eb because in standard tuning it was a bit too muscular for my taste. According to the labels, the EJ38s are exactly the same gauges except for the octave G, a 9 instead of the Elixir 10. But in practice, the 12-string felt sloppy. I compensated by tuning it up to E natural, where the EJ38s sound and feel fine.

I don't think measuring the gauges side by side will be very useful. It is the tensions that are different. (Sitting here in my string box waiting its turn for a try-out is a set of Santa Cruz strings in bluegrass gauge: on it they write "Gauge means nothing, tension means everything." They have a point.)

One thing I've noticed over my own "(mini) giant string experiment" this past year or so is how big the differences in apparent gauge (tension) are from one set to another. I've used 22 different sets so far, plus a few repeats of ones I like better than most, and several stand out as being different: D'Addario and GHS were both noticeably lighter than expected, Fender and Sfarzo heavier, with numerous others (Martin, Elixir, Darco, SIT, JP, Ball, Rotosound, one or two others) in the middle.

I don't see that variation as an issue, quite the opposite. The lighter-than-expected EJ38s, for example, suit my 12-string better than the Elixirs did and I'll buy them again. (But not until after I try out the Martin PB and Dean Markley 85/15s I have on order.) Similarly, the Fender brass 12s go better on my Angel than the other 12s I've tried: just that little bit firmer, but softer than 13s or bluegrass sets.
Old 04-13-2021, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
Quite recently, DW. I bought the D'Addario EJ16s and Fender 12s and 13s in the middle of last year; more Fender 12s early this year; and the EJ38s just three weeks ago. It is possible, of course, that the vendors have been shipping me older stock - the Fender strings were a very good price, maybe the local importer had a stack of them from pre-pandemic times. The Fender packaging, however, is exactly as described earlier in this thread.

The EJ38s are an interesting example. I used them to replace a set of Elixir 10-47s on my 12-string which I'd tuned down to Eb because in standard tuning it was a bit too muscular for my taste. According to the labels, the EJ38s are exactly the same gauges except for the octave G, a 9 instead of the Elixir 10. But in practice, the 12-string felt sloppy. I compensated by tuning it up to E natural, where the EJ38s sound and feel fine.

I don't think measuring the gauges side by side will be very useful. It is the tensions that are different. (Sitting here in my string box waiting its turn for a try-out is a set of Santa Cruz strings in bluegrass gauge: on it they write "Gauge means nothing, tension means everything." They have a point.)

One thing I've noticed over my own "(mini) giant string experiment" this past year or so is how big the differences in apparent gauge (tension) are from one set to another. I've used 22 different sets so far, plus a few repeats of ones I like better than most, and several stand out as being different: D'Addario and GHS were both noticeably lighter than expected, Fender and Sfarzo heavier, with numerous others (Martin, Elixir, Darco, SIT, JP, Ball, Rotosound, one or two others) in the middle.

I don't see that variation as an issue, quite the opposite. The lighter-than-expected EJ38s, for example, suit my 12-string better than the Elixirs did and I'll buy them again. (But not until after I try out the Martin PB and Dean Markley 85/15s I have on order.) Similarly, the Fender brass 12s go better on my Angel than the other 12s I've tried: just that little bit firmer, but softer than 13s or bluegrass sets.
I have definitely noted that Sfarzo-made strings feel a bit thick and heavy.

I'm trying to figure out a way to measure tension on the instrument. Maybe use some sort of scale or pressure gauge to measure how much force it takes to deflect the string by x amount at the 12th.

I should get the guy at Project Farm to devise some sort of test rig.
Old 04-13-2021, 05:27 PM

^ Hmmmm .... Interesting idea. Well, at the simplest brute force level, you could hang a string from something and attach progressively heavier weights to it, plucking now and then until a tuner says it has reached the appropriate pitch.

(A jig sounds like a much more practical solution.)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion