The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-10-2021, 09:30 PM

Default Martin "Expert Authentics"

Adjustable truss rods, EIR back and sides, ambertone finishes:

https://themusicemporium.com/blogs/n...-arriving-soon

Martin, just allow people to get Authentic bracing in the custom shop instead of having dealers choose the specs for us, please!
Old 04-10-2021, 09:45 PM

What's more annoying/plain stupid is that they pretend that those guitars get more and more authentic each year. "Did you get an authentic last year? Bad luck, now they are even authenticar!"
Old 04-11-2021, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspoel View Post
What's more annoying/plain stupid is that they pretend that those guitars get more and more authentic each year. "Did you get an authentic last year? Bad luck, now they are even authenticar!"
How is this annoying or stupid? They're fulfilling a demand, so good on them. I don't think anyone on this planet would argue that offering Authentic bracing on a wider array of build options is going to result in less sales for Martin, but quite the opposite. It's something people have been requesting for years.
Old 04-11-2021, 06:10 AM

Stages = Levels? Sounds to me like maybe they want some of that market share from the Pre-War Guitars company.
Old 04-11-2021, 06:28 AM
Charter Member

They’re feeling market pressure. And running out of Madagascar rosewood. Collings and others have been selling $6000 Indian rosewood guitars, so Martin figures $5k might work, I guess. And yes, you have to think Martin has recognized PewWarCo here. Too bad that crowd will largely still go for the PW because of the necks on these 28s. But the D-18 could be a game changer, in terms of competing w PW at a competitive price point.

Good news is, these guitars look awesome. One step closer to allowing customized Authentics in the custom shop. Meanwhile, for those of us hankering to try an Authentic D28 with Indian rosewood, now is the chance. And I like the natural top option without yellow toner. These are cool guitars!

Last edited by zoopeda; 04-11-2021 at 06:49 AM.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspoel View Post
I can't say I find it annoying. I think everyone realises that in this context "Authentic" is a marketing term not a dictionary definition.

Authentic : 1 known to be real, not a copy.

2 An accurate representation.

By definition they can't be 1.

You could more than reasonably argue that they're not 2 either (aged toner, adjustable truss rods etc)

Either way, they look fabulous but are a bit out of my price range.

I'll have to buy whatever the "Authentic" is in a few years time.
Old 04-11-2021, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
They’re feeling market pressure. And running out of Madagascar rosewood. Collings and others have been selling $6000 Indian rosewood guitars, so Martin figures $5k might work, I guess. And yes, you have to think Martin has recognized PewWarCo here. Too bad that crowd will largely still go for the PW because of the necks on these 28s. But the D-18 could be a game changer, in terms of competing w PW at a competitive price point.

Good news is, these guitars look awesome. One step closer to allowing customized Authentics in the custom shop. Meanwhile, for those of us hankering to try an Authentic D28 with Indian rosewood, now is the chance. And I like the natural top option without yellow toner. These are cool guitars!
I agree about the 18s. I'm far from an expert on PW but comparing the one I had with the 37A D18 I have it's no contest. The Martin is better in every way tone-wise. If a relic option is on the table for the 18s it would be incredible. Although might not be great for the long-term value of my 06 D18 37A.
Old 04-11-2021, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

This is something that has been a long time coming! The Martin D-28 Authentic 1931 is one of the best sounding instruments I've played but the 1 7/8" nut width just doesn't work for me at all! Being able to customize some of this stuff is a dream for most players who've experienced Martin's top of the line instruments!

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 04-11-2021, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperB23 View Post
This is something that has been a long time coming! The Martin D-28 Authentic 1931 is one of the best sounding instruments I've played but the 1 7/8" nut width just doesn't work for me at all! Being able to customize some of this stuff is a dream for most players who've experienced Martin's top of the line instruments!
Agreed on the 1 7/8". I've not seen anything regarding those models but if that particular change is on the table I might be getting in line for a 12 fret! Over on the other forum, there was mention of another project that may be a more historically accurate 30's style Martin. I hope that one is true.
Old 04-11-2021, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
Agreed on the 1 7/8". I've not seen anything regarding those models but if that particular change is on the table I might be getting in line for a 12 fret! Over on the other forum, there was mention of another project that may be a more historically accurate 30's style Martin. I hope that one is true.
I talked to two vendors about these. They said this is not necessarily the beginning of a custom shop free for all where you can order a customized authentic. This was a specific special run of Authentics with: thinner tops, non torrified red spruce, Indian rosewood on the style 28s, and adjustable truss rods. Apparently the only options open for order are: aged vs semi gloss finish, natural vs amber tone. Interesting to see an 000-28 in the mix. I don’t think there’s been an authentic one of those yet but could be wrong.
Old 04-11-2021, 09:50 AM

This is exactly the kind of Martin I would be interested in. It depends on the neck shape. If they continue to insist on the '37 barrel and heel, forget it. In the end, this guitar is just a replacement for the well loved D-28 Marquis. Instead of GE bracing, they are using a thinner top and Authentic bracing. I think these models will be a hit because a lot of people like me prefer EIR to Madagascar. The lower (than authentic) price is attractive too.
Old 04-11-2021, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
I talked to two vendors about these. They said this is not necessarily the beginning of a custom shop free for all where you can order a customized authentic. This was a specific special run of Authentics with: thinner tops, non torrified red spruce, Indian rosewood on the style 28s, and adjustable truss rods. Apparently the only options open for order are: aged vs semi gloss finish, natural vs amber tone. Interesting to see an 000-28 in the mix. I don’t think there’s been an authentic one of those yet but could be wrong.
I've heard this in the ad re: thinner tops, but has anyone confirmed if the newer authentics were already using this spec? Thinner tops in context of the ad may mean thinner than standard series.
Old 04-11-2021, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
This is exactly the kind of Martin I would be interested in. It depends on the neck shape. If they continue to insist on the '37 barrel and heel, forget it. In the end, this guitar is just a replacement for the well loved D-28 Marquis. Instead of GE bracing, they are using a thinner top and Authentic bracing. I think these models will be a hit because a lot of people like me prefer EIR to Madagascar. The lower (than authentic) price is attractive too.
The vendor I asked about this said the necks are same as the authentic they’re based on. If that’s true, that’s probably the thing that’s preventing me from order the D-28. If you’re in the market for a D-18 though, that authentic neck is much nicer, if you like a more typical full neck with a smooth even taper.
Old 04-11-2021, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I've heard this in the ad re: thinner tops, but has anyone confirmed if the newer authentics were already using this spec? Thinner tops in context of the ad may mean thinner than standard series.
seems like if the aurhentics had the .105" top, these ads wouldn't need to point out "thinner top" as a feature. Then again, they mention hide glue. I could swear people over on the tech forum of UMGF have said repeatedly the prewar originals and authentic series copies do not have thinner tops vs the standards, except the 000-30A. Would be great to start getting some caliper measurements. I can measure my HD28V but don't known an authentic. Yet
Old 04-11-2021, 11:07 AM

Those look really nice but not a fan of the "Expert" moniker. Maybe they should have called them Authentic++.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion