The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-23-2021, 01:32 PM

Smile What is it about DÂ’AngelicoÂ’s ?

I have 3. Is it the unique headstock? I have a blue premier SD hardbody, a blond Excel EXL 1-a archtop , and the newest addition a premier Fulton 12 string. The Fulton is Chinese made , the SD and EXL are Indonesia made. The quality on these babies is superb The sounds and electronics are clean. I play different instruments in the shops and I get a good feel on the DÂ’s as on any comparably priced instruments. So, maybe it IS the headstock. I donÂ’t see many if any listed in peoples collections. What am I missing?
Old 07-23-2021, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

I think a lot of people are put off by the headstock. I also think they are more popular with the electric and jazz crowd. I almost bought an Excel DC a couple years ago but opted for a Gretsch instead.
Old 07-23-2021, 01:49 PM

I sold my Washburn archtop and bought the D'Angelico Excel. Single cutaway, single floating pickup. I really like it.
It has some acoustic sound but it is weak. Plugged it is sounds rich.
Old 07-23-2021, 04:05 PM

I have a D'Angelico Premier SS hollow body, single cutaway with two silver humbuckers, in black with the art-deco tailpiece and, of course, the full art-deco headstock. I normally play a Strat, but I was in the market for a hollow or semi-hollow body anyway and this model was selling at a very low price. Took a bit of tweaking, but now it plays beautifully. Long story short, I can't seem to put it down, so much so that I rarely play my Strat. Handles 11s really well, too. Not a great acoustic sound, but I have a Martin for that.

I think you either like the headstock or hate it; I personally think the guitar looks pretty classy. The same headstock on an acoustic might be overkill, but I did see at least some D'Angelico acoustic models have a more toned-down headstock - just a curve across the top, and not the whole bowling trophy thing. So, maybe...
Old 07-23-2021, 06:19 PM

I also have a Fulton 12 string and love it. I just found a used Premier Gramercy six string that looks just like my 12 string! Cleaning it up now and once setup I will finally get to hear it's song.
Old 07-24-2021, 09:52 AM

Bowling trophy…thats funny! I came real close to buying an acoustic a few years ago but couldnt get past the headstock. I dont have a problem with cutting one up but none of my sketches could improve it enough. They’d triple their sales with a new headstock design.
Old 07-24-2021, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beljum View Post
Bowling trophy…thats funny! I came real close to buying an acoustic a few years ago but couldnt get past the headstock. I dont have a problem with cutting one up but none of my sketches could improve it enough. They’d triple their sales with a new headstock design.
I dunno; that headstock has been the D'angelico signature for decades, much as the Gibson or Fender headstocks have been-and I think it's a big part of the appeal. Last year I bought an Excel DC. Nice guitar, but not exceptional and it felt little different to similar offerings from Ibanez or Epiphone. I traded it for something else.
Old 07-24-2021, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
I dunno; that headstock has been the D'angelico signature for decades, much as the Gibson or Fender headstocks have been-and I think it's a big part of the appeal. Last year I bought an Excel DC. Nice guitar, but not exceptional and it felt little different to similar offerings from Ibanez or Epiphone. I traded it for something else.

With a fancy decked out archtop I think the headstock fits with the overall motif. It seems out of place to me on a standard flattop.
Old 07-25-2021, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenumber2 View Post
With a fancy decked out archtop I think the headstock fits with the overall motif. It seems out of place to me on a standard flattop.
Yes; don't get me wrong, in spite of my bowling trophy comment, I really love the headstock on my archtop (while perfectly willing to tease it, too!). I think the headstock fits the whole art deco vibe, from the silver staircase bridge and tuning pegs, down to the aged-ivory trim. And probably for that very reason, IMO, the headstock manages to pull itself off better on a hollow or semi-hollow guitars than a solid or acoustic, since it's deliberately pulling from a jazz era motif. On a solid body, the headstock is a bit like putting a fancy hood ornament and tail fins on a Camry.

Obviously, its looks are not for everyone. There are many equally good lower-end archtops out there, equally playable; Ibanez, Hagstrom, Epiphone, to name a few. So in many ways, in addition to being a decent guitar in any event, it often does come down to whether you like its look or not.
Old 07-25-2021, 11:42 AM

Although a number of individual luthiers make/have made "tribute" instruments, and the circa-2K Vestax Japanese-made D'A's were very good in their own right (and have achieved player-collectible status among jazzers), the current Pac-Rim crop are D'Angelicos in name only; while they exhibit all the requisite styling cues, they lack the craftsmanship and tonal refinement of the New York originals - I've played a couple dozen of the latter in my lifetime and there's no comparison - and if you're looking for an all-solid jazzbox that won't beat your wallet to a pulp, Eastman (and to a lesser extent Loar) is far closer to the spirit than anything currently produced under the D'A banner...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion