The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-25-2021, 12:47 AM
Charter Member

Default Santa Cruz Vintage Jumbo

IÂ’m considering doing a custom build on a SCGC VJ. I typically prefer Rosewood guitars so IÂ’m considering EIR or African Blackwood paired with a Adi top. What are peopleÂ’s opinions on this combo for this guitar? I like a cannon that is very responsive and loud. Any opinions would be appreciated.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

If you prefer rosewood slope shoulder dread you might audition a Gibson AJ or a Kevin Kopp AJ. I'm sure SCGC can build whatever you'd like but the wait time and upcharge could be prohibitive? Just a thought?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 02-25-2021, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

I'm sure an SC slope is incredible but don't overlook Iris. A lot more affordable and incredible tone. They do custom orders. Although they're very plain with a satin finish, etc.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I'm sure an SC slope is incredible but don't overlook Iris. A lot more affordable and incredible tone. They do custom orders. Although they're very plain with a satin finish, etc.
I didn't know Iris did custom orders. Their slope dread sure sounds good. Could be that satin finish helps with that huge tone?

Old 02-25-2021, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
If you prefer rosewood slope shoulder dread you might audition a Gibson AJ or a Kevin Kopp AJ. I'm sure SCGC can build whatever you'd like but the wait time and upcharge could be prohibitive? Just a thought?
...the current wait time on a Kopp is considerably longer than Santa Cruz...and I don’t think there’s any upcharge for a custom order Cruz ...I own both Santa Cruz and Kopp guitars and love em both...there is a used Kopp AJ on Reverb currently..Madagascar Rosewood/Adi I think...
Old 02-25-2021, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
...the current wait time on a Kopp is considerably longer than Santa Cruz...and I don’t think there’s any upcharge for a custom order Cruz ...I own both Santa Cruz and Kopp guitars and love em both...there is a used Kopp AJ on Reverb currently..Madagascar Rosewood/Adi I think...
I don't know much about the CS at SCGC but assumed (and I shouldn't have) that changes would be additional. AMW in Pittsburgh has a 2016 (shop worn never sold) Kopp AJ Adi/Madagascar. Probably the same one as on Reverb?
https://acousticmusicworks.com/colle...-sunburst-used

Last edited by llew; 02-25-2021 at 08:26 AM.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw3571 View Post
IÂ’m considering doing a custom build on a SCGC VJ. I typically prefer Rosewood guitars so IÂ’m considering EIR or African Blackwood paired with a Adi top. What are peopleÂ’s opinions on this combo for this guitar? I like a cannon that is very responsive and loud. Any opinions would be appreciated.
Hi Jon. I feel compelled to advise against this build with an Adi top. If you proceed, I would go Sitka as I find most new Adi topped SC's to be super-tight out of the gate. Maybe I'm just getting cranky in midlife, but I have very little patience these days to invest the time to break in green/new Adi from ANY builder.

The VJ is a cool guitar but you will take an absolute bath on resale if you don't like it. A Adi/Mahogany VJ in excellent condition sold on the forum some time in the last 5 mos for $2900 - $3200. That's 1/2 or slightly less than half of what an Adi/EIR custom is going to cost if ordered new.

Your call...

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 02-25-2021, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don't know much about the CS at SCGC but assumed (and I shouldn't have) that changes would be additional. AMW in Pittsburgh has a 2016 (shop worn never sold) Kopp AJ Adi/Madagascar. Probably the same one as on Reverb?
https://acousticmusicworks.com/colle...-sunburst-used
Santa Cruz will include many customizations at no additional cost. Nut width, bridge spacing, some neck profiles, many top woods (Adi, Sitka, Euro). Some custom specs add small amounts of cost (wood binding, etc) and then upgrade b/s woods can add a good bit to the cost.

You obviously take a pretty solid hit on any new SCGC if you want to sell it down the line. I'd scour the used listings first, before paying $7K for a new one, unless you are very confident in the build and you want particular / specific specs.
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |
Old 02-25-2021, 09:19 AM

Quote:
I like a cannon that is very responsive and loud.
I have a basic Sitka/mahogany SCGC VS (short-scale version), and my first guess would be that Adi/rosewood would darken and quiet what is a lively, lightly built guitar. I'd be curious to know how the folks at Santa Cruz would advise you on whether you'd reach your goal.

I don't have hands-on experience with the VJ. I assume the longer scale would give you more volume. But if you're expecting an excellent version of a big-sounding Gibson AJ, I'd first want to try out a SCGC slope-shoulder in rosewood.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:06 AM

I have found that the most beneficial thing about SCGC instruments is the ability to confer with Richard Hoover and Carolyn Sills.....BEFORE you set your mind on any wood combo. Tell them what voice you want to achieve with a bespoke guitar and let them guide you....They have been doing this for 44 years and they have listened to and advised and built guitars for some of the best musicians on the planet.
Remember even the most famous guitar players in the world have to pay for their Santa Cruz instruments....just like the rest of us.
If they consult with and pay for their guitars , then the Folks at SCGC must have a pretty good sense of what they want.
I have owned 7 SC guitars and currently have 5 that will stay with me until I pass them down to family. 2 were new when I purchased and all were custom ordered either by me or someone else who had the confidence to have SCGC build them a guitar.
Talk to them, then decide if they are the builder you want...... I'll bet they can make you very happy.

Life is a journey...not a guided tour...
Old 02-25-2021, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I didn't know Iris did custom orders. Their slope dread sure sounds good. Could be that satin finish helps with that huge tone?
Yes they do custom orders. They won't do fancy inlays but I know of a custom being built that has Guatemalan rosewood being used for the B&S and another custom being built with a torrified Adirondack top.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the responses. I should've mentioned some of the other SC guitars I have. I have a D12, 1934 D Hog, and a D with Adi/African Blackwood. The D is my favorite which is why I was considering African Blackwood on a Slope. I was considering a slope SCGC since my other SC's are not slope shouldered. I also own a Gibson AJ but was considering seeing how SC's slope compares.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:08 AM

Quote:
and a D with Adi/African Blackwood. The D is my favorite which is why I was considering African Blackwood on a Slope. I was considering a slope SCGC since my other SC's are not slope shouldered. I also own a Gibson AJ but was considering seeing how SC's slope compares.
Well heck. Guess you been holdin' out on us. If you think it's a good idea, give it a go.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:49 PM
Charter Member

Have you had a chance to play a VJ? They a great guitars, but they don't sound like a Gibson slope shoulder. I owned an early one, from around '03 and a couple others came through the shop I worked in back then. To my ear, they sound more like a Martin.

If you want an AJ, Kevin Kopp would be a good choice. I played one of his Brazilian/red spruce AJs, and it was a fantastic. I'd also consider a John Walker "Clark Fork" (AJ). There are sound clips in this link and a video here. Like Kevin, John worked for Gibson.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

I have not been able to play a VJ, there aren't around my area. I have a Gibson AJ so i'm not too worried if it ends up sounding like a Martin.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion