The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-20-2021, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

I reviewed iZotope's new "Guitar DeNoise" feature for Acoustic Guitar last fall. Demo is here:

As long as the squeak is fairly "clean", the plugin takes care of it pretty easily. More complicated situations require manual spectral editing, and in the worst cases, you may not be able to remove the noise. Better to avoid making them in the first place, but iZotope can really help with any remaining issues.
Old 03-21-2021, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
I'm currently using Martin Lifespan PBs on my HD-28V. Do you have any comments about how these might compare in tone?

Thanks.
I have not tried Martin Lifespan PB.
The only comparison info I can offer is
with D'Addario Flat Top Phosphor Bronze strings.

Please forgive me for the such a wordy comment.

I tried the Flat Top strings and string squeak was reduced compared to round wound strings but there was still too much string squeak for me,
especially when compared with the Magma Flat strings which have no string squeak.

D'Addario claims:
The four, round wound strings in D’Addario’s Flat Top sets are flattened by a precision polishing process essentially creating semi-flat,
acoustic strings. These strings have virtually no finger noise, but still maintain the excellent volume and tone of phosphor bronze strings.

I reached out to Magma and asked how they were able to achieve a polished squeak free string surface but the D'Addario Flat Top string surface was only semi-smooth and string squeaks were reduced but still present.
I also asked about tension information for the 3 string set gauges they offer (GA120PBF, GA130PBF & GA140PBF).

Here is Magma's response:
Our Acoustic Flat Strings are not exactly wound flat, they are round one. But then, we polished it but not the simply way like Dadarios one.
We have special process that allowed us to achieve a flat string with volume and bright. Tensions are similar to the traditional sets. They donÂ’t have any variations.
For your reference, tensions are similar to:

Magma Set GA120PBF similar to Dadario EJ15
GA130PBF similar to EJ26
GA140PBF similar to EJ16
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 03-21-2021, 05:48 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

String squeaks are the bane of my existence, especially when recording. I don't mind them as much when playing. I do a lot of sliding. In those instances, I cannot lift my fingers. I've tried many different strings to tame the squeaks. Here are some I've used:
Cleartone
S.I.T. silencers (semi flat)
D'addario flat tops phosphor bronze
silk and bronze

The D'addarios go dead pretty quickly and then sound awful.

Good luck!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 03-21-2021, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
String squeaks are the bane of my existence, especially when recording. I don't mind them as much when playing. I do a lot of sliding. In those instances, I cannot lift my fingers. I've tried many different strings to tame the squeaks. Here are some I've used:
Cleartone
S.I.T. silencers (semi flat)
D'addario flat tops phosphor bronze
silk and bronze

The D'addarios go dead pretty quickly and then sound awful.

Good luck!
My style of playing results in too many squeaks too, and I've also tried many different strings attempting to reduce string squeak.
I agree that D'Addarios Flat Tops go dead rather soon. They also seem to have a higher tension feel than other similar gauge string sets.

The Galli 80/20 Bronze flat wounds I've tried are almost squeak free except for the 3rd (G) string but with some smoothing up with fine grit sandpaper string squeak can be silenced.
Dogal Nightclub V25 80/20 Bronze flat wound are really nice strings. They are free of string squeak and easy to play due to their low tension but unfortunately they are very pricey.
I've only had these Magma Flat Phosphor Bronze (GA120PBF) strings for 12 days and they still sound fresh, hopefully they last a long time as Magma claims they will.
If they hold their sound quality over an exceptable period of time, they will be my go to string.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD