The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 04-16-2021, 01:46 PM

Default restored 1929 SS Stewart Professional

looking for anyone that may have info on the pictured guitar i just restored. 1929 SS Stewart Professional Archtop. the older gentleman i bought in from said it was in his family since purchased by his great aunt. states it was made by Gibson. I know it could of been sold via B&J or chicago instrument co ?based on date, but unable to find any markings ( i even had to reset neck and no marks there or any visible from the f holes.) I know there were many makers for the SS Stewart brand: Gibson/harmony/regal/etc. im not sure where else to look. the label on headstock is identical to early ww1 models ( same labels used on the old stewart banjos of early 1900) any advise on where to look, ive exhausted most online opts and guitar stores in canada. the underside of top has no bracing (super sounding with no dead spots) very similar to the Loar designed L-5s in 23-24 before he left gibson and they went more mass produce quick/dirty. the birds eye maple and tortoise shell inlays indicate a very high end guitar, but im guessing now and have spent hundreds of hours researching to no avail...any info or input would be appreciated

Last edited by ssstewart; 04-23-2021 at 04:08 PM. Reason: updated info
Old 04-16-2021, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

I have no answers to your questions. I will simply say...WOW. Beautiful guitar. Wish you luck finding answers. I suspect there are folks here that can help you.

17 John Osthoff SJ
12 Brad Daniels Kolaya MJ
1990 Kiso Suzuki J200
1980 Kiso Suzuki 12 String

"Tomorrow is promised to no one"
Old 04-16-2021, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doons View Post
I have no answers to your questions. I will simply say...WOW. Beautiful guitar. Wish you luck finding answers. I suspect there are folks here that can help you.
thanks Doons, appreciate the wow. spent over 100hrs restoring it, was in pieces, gouged faded dark brown. the neck even had the original dried out hide attached. all original except machine heads were worn out and the tortoise shell pickguard was toast, so made the one on it out of a $5 piece of wood and templated it with a nice swooping grain, to give it nice look. shop in toronto wanted $400.00 for a fake tortoise shell pickguard so the $5 substitute it was has tortoise shell inlays on all sides of body and neck. bought it for the birds eye maple body looks pretty. action is great now as well especially in dadf#ad with a slide, very robert johnsonish.
Old 04-16-2021, 06:13 PM

heres the headstock label before i restored it.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:41 PM

I am fairly certain that Gibson didn't make guitars for S.S. Stewart, and that Kay/ Harmony/Regal was more likely involved. There is a book called "The Other Brands of Gibson" that might spell things out.
Old 05-04-2021, 11:00 AM

thanks for replying, appreciated. i agree that they probably did not make this one, according to ken parker they did make guitars for ss stewart and via B&G, so i dunno and as per the other brands of gibson From 1926 through 1970, Gibson guitars made over 40 different brands and over 300 different models of instruments that didn't carry the Gibson name. The vast majority of the "budget brands" were made during The Great Depression. They include names like Bellson, B&S Barrington, Oriole, Cromwell, Kalamazoo, Ambassador, Capital, Carson Robison, Ray Whitley, Andy Sannella, Fascinator, Francis Day & Hunter, Grinnell, Hayden, Kel Kroydon, Martelle, Marshall Special, Henry L. Mason, Mastertone Special, Mitchell Brothers, Old Kraftsman (Spiegel), Montgomery Wards/Recording King, Reznick Radio Special, S.S. Stewart, Trujo & Truett, Washburn, and Werlein Leader. Gibson also supplied many guitar components for National/Valco.
having a heck of a time finding, waiting to hear back from 12th fret and fret.com after emailing them. appreciate your input though..all info is good and helps iin my journey

1929 SS Stewart Professional Archtop
1979 Canadian Classical Private quebec luth
2003 Briarwood YCL-1
2020 Fender Telecaster
80's frankenstrat
Fender CD60 Acoustic
1982 Ovation acoustic electric
+beaters and bangers
1963 Ampeg Gemini II + wrfdale cabinet 300
Randall RX25RM
Peavey practice amp
pyramid studio pro 250
Old 05-04-2021, 11:13 AM

SSStewart - boy did you do an excellent job - she looks great - a labor of love but this restoration is something to be proud of
Old 05-04-2021, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadzmad View Post
SSStewart - boy did you do an excellent job - she looks great - a labor of love but this restoration is something to be proud of
thank you very much dad, appreciate that alot

1929 SS Stewart Professional Archtop
1979 Canadian Classical Private quebec luth
2003 Briarwood YCL-1
2020 Fender Telecaster
80's frankenstrat
Fender CD60 Acoustic
1982 Ovation acoustic electric
+beaters and bangers
1963 Ampeg Gemini II + wrfdale cabinet 300
Randall RX25RM
Peavey practice amp
pyramid studio pro 250

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops