The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-13-2021, 03:48 PM
AGF Sponsor

[QUOTE=meb;6661030]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
SunnAudio has a new Stage DI in the works that is more of a stomp box.

I regularly use the sunnaudio Stage Di. Do you have any more info on
the new Stage? features, when available?
Thanks.

Hi Meb and everyone, we have this coming out next month or so.

It will not have: notch filter, phase switch or effects loop because they just don’t fit.
It will have: adjustable HPF (high pass filter) and adjustable boost with LED knobs.
Full eq; Treble-mid-bass - shown in pic.
Internal presence switch, 1meg/5meg switch, adjustable trim pot for mids,
9v battery, AC, and XLR phantom powered.
Discount codes for forum members

Old 03-13-2021, 04:30 PM

Microphone. Did it for years, solo gigs and open mics. There may be a reason they call them open MIC.
Old 03-13-2021, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

It will be more stomp box oriented. The FX loop is deleted, with a boost switch and a mute switch added. I don't know any details, or if the original will be discontinued. Changes made from customer feedback. Since I don't use the FX send/return, nor a boost, either would work for me.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 03-14-2021, 01:09 AM

I have a K&K in my HD-28V and a JJB in my D-2832 Shenandoah. Both work fine, but the output is higher from the K&K. If I were to do it again on a higher-end guitar like the HD-28V I would probably go with James May's Ultra Tonic pickup.

BTW, any piezo pickup, either bridge plate or under-saddle, will require some degree of enhancement to get the sound you like. For me the ToneDexter was the right solution. Your mileage may vary.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 03-14-2021, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the info sunnaudio & Brick. The DI-2 looks great, but I am
concerned that my size 13 foot could actually differentiate the
Boost from the Mute button in live situations due to their close
proximity. I am sure it will sound great, though.
Mike

Goodall MdRSC/Adirondack yr2018 + Sunrise
Goodall RSC/Sitka yr2001 + Sunrise
Goodall HRGCC/Italian yr2004 + Sunrise
Martin D-10E Sitka/Sapele MX-T
Bose L1 mod2, Pro8, S1 Pro, QSC K8.2, CP8
Old 03-14-2021, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=sunnaudio;6661459]
Quote:
Originally Posted by meb View Post

It will not have: notch filter, phase switch or effects loop because they just don’t fit.
It will have: adjustable HPF (high pass filter) and adjustable boost with LED knobs.
I'm not in the market for this right now, but thanks for the news and for offering a discount code to forum members.
Old 03-14-2021, 09:51 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks for the info sunnaudio & Brick. The DI-2 looks great, but I am
concerned that my size 13 foot could actually differentiate the
Boost from the Mute button in live situations due to their close
proximity. I am sure it will sound great, though.
Mike

The
buttons look intimidating, but they are easy enough to use at the corners - press both footswitches at the same time and you’ll mute, press again and your back where you were.
The button covers can be removed and you can leave one of them on to access that particular function easier.
Cheers !
Old 03-14-2021, 10:01 AM
AGF Sponsor

[QUOTE=Chriscom;6662081]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnaudio View Post

I'm not in the market for this right now, but thanks for the news and for offering a discount code to forum members.

Thanks Chriscom, we wanted to share here since it pertains to the topic. The Stage DI-2 really reflects this forum and the feedback we’ve gotten back from everyone over the yearrs!
Old 03-14-2021, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
I have a K&K in my HD-28V and a JJB in my D-2832 Shenandoah. Both work fine, but the output is higher from the K&K. If I were to do it again on a higher-end guitar like the HD-28V I would probably go with James May's Ultra Tonic pickup.

BTW, any piezo pickup, either bridge plate or under-saddle, will require some degree of enhancement to get the sound you like. For me the ToneDexter was the right solution. Your mileage may vary.
There is a very nice UltraTonic upgrade kit for your K&K - ask James about your JJB, maybe it’ll work with that too?

The Tonedexter is a fantastic solution, but just having a clean, balanced, feed-back free signal, which you get with the UltraTonic, is the really essential starting place.
Old 03-15-2021, 11:30 AM

[QUOTE=sunnaudio;6661459]
Quote:

As I understand it phase switch and notch filter are for those pickups that have issues with feedback. Wouldn't this be a requirement for quite of few of those with certain pickups that are prone to feedback issues?
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Fender Player Stratocaster HSS Plus
Timberline T60HGpc
Kolaloha KTM-000 with MiSi
SunnAudio MS-2
Digital Piano Yamaha P515
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 03-15-2021, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
There is a very nice UltraTonic upgrade kit for your K&K - ask James about your JJB, maybe it’ll work with that too?

The Tonedexter is a fantastic solution, but just having a clean, balanced, feed-back free signal, which you get with the UltraTonic, is the really essential starting place.
Yes, I'm considering it for my HD-28V.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 03-15-2021, 09:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

[QUOTE=tbirdman;6663142]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnaudio View Post

As I understand it phase switch and notch filter are for those pickups that have issues with feedback. Wouldn't this be a requirement for quite of few of those with certain pickups that are prone to feedback issues?

Hi tbirdman,

Notch filters are popular as a solution for addressing guitar plate and body feedback problems. The feedback is the result of a resonance peak at that frequency. Ideally, the frequency is tuned to the problem frequency and then the notch depth is adjusted just enough to remove the resonance peak so that the signal level is similar to the desired tones.

The down side is a negative hit to sound quality as steep analog notch filters also result in steep phase changes and ringing in the filter response. The natural ambience and sound is lost and cannot be recovered. Some simplified notch filters that only adjust the frequency will either take out too much or not enough of the trouble spot to be not effective and/or take out the sound quality with the feedback.

The new IR EQ's offer some improvements as DSP can control the phase and response independently. The DSP also offers accurate adjustment of the notch frequency and depth. Some new DSP units, e.g. ToneDexter, specifically looks for and fixes resonance peaks in its application.

The StageDI-2 implementation strived for the absolute best natural acoustic sound possible. If notch filter is required, then the optimum solution is to add a IR EQ unit after the StageDI to address the resonances when needed. This preserves the transducer impedance and bandwidth matching and provides the IR EQ with a solid signal to work from.

For the phase inversion switch, we will try to fit one in on the next update. It's purely a mechanical fit issue for the switch placement.

Cheers
Sunny
Old 04-23-2021, 12:04 PM
AGF Sponsor

We have an update: the new Stage DI-2 DOES come currently with an insert - effects loop!

We are pleased to announce that we are taking orders now on the new Stage DI-2!
Units will ship out next week.
We’ll send a discount code to all AGF members: let us know if your an AGF member.

*these have the adjustable internal Mid control frequency trim pot and insert jack.

Old 04-27-2021, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

If you go back to the OP's question, he said for occasional open mic use. He likely will not use the mute or boost function. What will get used is the SunnAudio full frequency signal path. Won't have much worry about feedback either. You just need an audio path with good design and quality parts. Any SunnAudio product will give you that.

With anything new, I think there is a notion people have about going cheap. That is how you spend twice the money arriving at a quality product. The better you sound, the better the experience, and the more of a likelihood you will do more.

With a compact pre in your guitar case, you'll be ready for any likely scenario. My Stage 1 stays in my guitar case for the most part, because most often I use the custom blender SunnAudio built me that stays with the open mic gear. Hard to believe its been over a year now.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 04-27-2021, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
Why not just leave the HD28 home and take the Taylor? Wouldn't want someone inadvertently bumping into the Martin or asking to borrow it.
That is exactly I do (most of the time). I have a Martin D-16 with a K&K Pure Mini that sounds really good, but for my gigging and open mics I usually take my Taylor 214ce DLX. It is more comfortable to play, has a more durable finish, and if something were to happen to it I wouldn't feel as bad. Plus, the ES2 gives me some amount of control over sound level and EQ if the sound man is not up to the task. Other times, I just feel like taking the Martin though and the K&K is fine, especially if I run it through a preamp or pedal with a buffer. Though I don't think that 99% of the audience can appreciate the difference.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification