The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-31-2020, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Old thread revived--I know, I know...

So while waiting for progress on my Baranik Meridian to resume, I decided to revisit this thread form start to finish. What an awesome build thread this was--the guitar is simply amazing and only heightens my anticipation at getting mine completed!

John--Congrats on this guitar and your current Kraut build. Looking forward to seeing it completed and your full report upon it's arrival!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 04-01-2020, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Smile Baranik Meridian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Old thread revived--I know, I know...

So while waiting for progress on my Baranik Meridian to resume, I decided to revisit this thread form start to finish. What an awesome build thread this was--the guitar is simply amazing and only heightens my anticipation at getting mine completed!

John--Congrats on this guitar and your current Kraut build. Looking forward to seeing it completed and your full report upon it's arrival!
Thanks so much for reviving this thread Nemoman. I just re-read it from start to finish, and it brought back a lot of great memories. Hey, it looks like this thread is going to top 50,000 views now, thanks to your revival. I just wish I could have made it to the last Healdsburg or Santa Barbara show before they closed for good.

I still play this Meridian every week or so in rotation, and it has opened up even more since recording it in 2017. I have a better recording setup now, so I will use this opportunity to re-record it to see if I can capture some of the magic sound I hear when playing it in person.

Unfortunately, because of the Coronavirus pandemic, my Kraut 00 may be delayed by a month or so. Ray is still waiting for the Visesnut case to arrive and there is no ETA yet. He is also waiting on the EVO fretwire and a couple other things. At least this gives me more time to play the Meridian!

Your Malachite Machinga Meridian looks to be spectacular Nemoman! I can't wait to see how it turns out. I have a feeling it's going to be quite special.

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut
Old 04-01-2020, 05:42 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

I'm totally looking forward to seeing the two figured cocobolo Meridians to get together!

We all have had to make tough choices lately, specifically me selling an insanely fantastic guitar like the Meridian. But Sophie's Choice must be merciless, and with the addition of the 1930 OM28 I am comparing other stellar guitars and have found that this old Martin is about the most perfect guitar I've ever played. It's an extension of me.

So, I'm happy to have passed the Meridian on to someone who will enjoy it as much as I did! The circle goes on.....
Old 04-02-2020, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Smile Baranik Meridian

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
I'm totally looking forward to seeing the two figured cocobolo Meridians to get together!

We all have had to make tough choices lately, specifically me selling an insanely fantastic guitar like the Meridian. But Sophie's Choice must be merciless, and with the addition of the 1930 OM28 I am comparing other stellar guitars and have found that this old Martin is about the most perfect guitar I've ever played. It's an extension of me.

So, I'm happy to have passed the Meridian on to someone who will enjoy it as much as I did! The circle goes on.....
Thanks for posting Matthew. Warren and I were supposed to get together last week to play and compare the sister-set Cocobolo Meridians. Unfortunately, because of the Coronavirus spread, Warren canceled his trip to Tucson. I am sure he will make it to Tucson as soon as travel opens back up, maybe in a couple months. I will definitely post some photos of the two Meridians together on this thread.

Old 04-19-2020, 11:10 AM
*mahoganut*

So, hi John, Matthew, and Kevin. To whom did the Meridian go, Matthew?

Kevin, still following your build...

John, I hadn't listened to the "celtic" Meridian tunes for a while... nicely done... hauntingly done...

Cheers all,

Phil
Old 04-22-2020, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocobolo Kid View Post
Thanks for posting Matthew. Warren and I were supposed to get together last week to play and compare the sister-set Cocobolo Meridians. Unfortunately, because of the Coronavirus spread, Warren canceled his trip to Tucson. I am sure he will make it to Tucson as soon as travel opens back up, maybe in a couple months. I will definitely post some photos of the two Meridians together on this thread.
Yes, that trip got bumped by the bug. I was also looking forward to checking out "Black and Blue".
We'll get the coco-backs together sometime. That's going to be one "busy" visual.

why2
Old 04-26-2020, 01:05 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by why2 View Post
Yes, that trip got bumped by the bug. I was also looking forward to checking out "Black and Blue".
We'll get the coco-backs together sometime. That's going to be one "busy" visual.

why2
I love the coco back on my Meridian too! Mine is quite sappy, which I wanted. Let’s have a convention!

Jenn
Old 08-27-2022, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

Default again

This 2013 Baranik creation thread has been brought back to life in 2017, again in 2020, and now has come up for air again. It is in my top handful of all time favorite agf build chronicles.

Fun to zip through, from wood selection to delicious recordings. What a fabulous guitar.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 08-27-2022, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Smile Baranik Meridian, Still Sick

What a great way to start my day. Thank you so much Mr. Paul for such an unexpected and wonderful compliment.

I'm still playing this sick guitar, and appreciating its beauty every time I open the case. I'm still crazy for that cocobolo! Between this and my Kraut 00, I feel extremely blessed to have such fine guitars. Even though much of these two builds was planned, a lot of luck and good fortune was also involved.

Getting into hand built guitars and finding this forum has definitely enriched the past decade of my life. I have met some great people and lasting friends through AGF.

Thanks again Mr. Paul and thanks AGF. Of course, my biggest thanks to Mike Baranik for building me this work of art and putting so much of his heart into this guitar.

Last edited by Cocobolo Kid; 08-27-2022 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-27-2022, 08:05 PM

Is Mike no longer taking acoustic commissions?
Kostal Jumbo
Taran Tirga Mhor
Gerber RL15.5
Old 08-27-2022, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scallywag View Post
No, not really. He’s focusing on electric.
Old 08-28-2022, 06:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scallywag View Post
As Juston said, the acoustics are pretty much on hold, but the new website looks good: https://www.baranikguitars.com/acoustic

And his electrics are off the planet for style!
Old 08-28-2022, 06:56 AM
Charter Member

Default Baranik Meridian

I subscribed to John's build thread for his Baranik Meridian in Colorado Blue Spruce - Cocobolo some time ago and still enjoy reviewing it's content. I'm the current care taker of Cooler King's 2015 commissioned Meridian, an art-deco themed fan fret guitar made from the same tone woods as this one. I concur with John that this truly unique wood combination looks amazing and thanks to Mike's talents sounds even better.

While Mike is currently focused on filling orders for his popular electric models, he did showcase 3 acoustic guitars at the La Conner Festival in May. Both an OM and a Sinker Redwood Super Meridian were new builds delivered at the show.) I believe the Retreux Parlor was on loan from its owner. It was great fun to visit with Mike and meet a few other happy Baranik owners.

Last edited by doodahdoug; 08-29-2022 at 07:20 PM. Reason: info correction
Old 08-28-2022, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

That Super Meridian looks amazing!!

Any further info on the Retreux Parlor? Woods, special features?
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 08-29-2022, 03:53 PM
*mahoganut*

Marc, I'm trying to recall the woods on the Parlour but am coming up *blank*!!

The OO on the left was actually a new build (like the Super) and shown / delivered at La Conner 2022. It's a Kingwood b&s and blue spruce topped gem - basic shape and size inspired by Col's OO (but you guys know I'm a OO nut as well as (mostly) mahogany...

I'll have to post some pics of the Kingwood - a dalbergia closely related to Braz, and rarish because the trees don't normally grow much in diameter.

If we have a "pairs" thread Col and I will have to post our OOs.... even the headstock designs are similar!

And, along the way, I picked up a Meridian in coco and blue - the "Geo" that was shown at La Conner 2 years ago. I love my OOs but that larger coco/blue really rumbles!

Cheers all,

Phil

Paragon RW/Macassar Ebony Baritone
Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Woolson LS RW/30s African mahogany LG 12
Baranik LS RW/"tree" mahogany OO
Baranik Blue Spruce/"tree" mahogany OM
Boswell RW/koa OO
Baranik Retreux Parlour Adi/Pumaquiro
Baranik Blue Spruce/Coco Meridian "Geo"
Baranik Blue Spruce/Kingwood OO
Woolson T13 RW/Walnut SIG

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop