The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-22-2022, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

I already have doubts about whether I’m player enough to have thrown down for the J-45. However, I’m open to the insane possibility that I may one day want a D-28. I believe I can confidently say that would be my ceiling. But as of today, I’ll need to see my skill level step up to the J-45 before I consider going nuts one more time.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 05-22-2022, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post
I already have doubts about whether I’m player enough to have thrown down for the J-45. However, I’m open to the insane possibility that I may one day want a D-28. I believe I can confidently say that would be my ceiling. But as of today, I’ll need to see my skill level step up to the J-45 before I consider going nuts one more time.
Buy what you want, your playing will gravitate up.

If we all waited until we got "good enough" for XXX guitar we'd all be playing the kazoo

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-22-2022, 11:15 AM

Cool

US$1219. That’s about the price of my new 2019 00-15M and also my new 2019 Yamaha FS5.
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 05-22-2022, 11:18 AM

For me, about 2k.

The most I've spent is 5k on my custom build, then 4500 on my Lowden and 4500 on my old J200. I've had over 30 guitars that cost at least 2k, and the difference, for me, once you reach 2k had more to do with the builder and less to do with the exact cost.
Maestro Singa, Sinker Redwood / Wenge (incoming)

Gone but not forgotten:
Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, sundry others.
Old 05-22-2022, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post
You always want a guitar that you will grow into, as opposed to one that will hold you back.
Old 05-22-2022, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

For me, the sweet spot seems to be in the $2500-$3000 range - I'm not the first in this thread to throw those numbers out. But that covers the Martin 18 and 28 series, and similarly nice Guilds, Taylors, Gibsons. The most I've ever spent for a guitar I kept more than a couple of days is $3500. I could have gotten a roughly identical sounding guitar for $3000, but I wanted a specific neck and the model with that neck cost several hundred $$ more than the more affordable option.

That said, I turn 65 in a little under 2 years, which should free up considerable $$, so I put down a deposit on a Pre-War 00 or 000 that should arrive about the same time as my senior citizen status. That's gonna be a little under $5000 (or a little over if I change my mind and go with rosewood, but I'm pretty sure it's gonna be mahogany). I don't know whether I'll appreciate the differences between that and the Martins I have now. If I don't, I'll sell it and stick with what I've got now, which is frankly waaaay more than I need already. If I really love it, though, I'll sell one or both of my current Martins. I can't really imagine spending more than that, but five years ago I couldn't have imagined spending anywhere close to that, so who knows what the future holds?

As to the poster worrying about if his playing was up to the quality of his guitars, you can make yourself crazy with that kind of thinking. If that was the standard, I MIGHT be able to justify a $200-$300 Yamaha. The only questions I ask are a) can I afford it, and b) can I hear the difference such that I enjoy my playing more than with a different guitar. I have a less than $400 Alvarez that lives at my daughter's place out in Oregon, so I'll have something to play when we visit out there. My playing doesn't really justify anything more than that, but after playing my Martins, the last time we were out there visiting and I played that guitar, I realized how pitiful it sounded in comparison. After a couple of weeks playing it and not having anything else to compare it to, it sounded OK, but then when I got home and pulled out either of my Martins, it was like angels singing in comparison. So, the $$ I spent on my Martins is worth every penny to me. I hope I feel the same way about the Pre-War when I get it in a couple years. If it helps me enjoy this passion more, it's worth the money...

-Ray
Old 05-22-2022, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
You always want a guitar that you will grow into, as opposed to one that will hold you back.
wise words
Takamine F349, Takamine g340, Yamaha LL6M
'78 Fender Strat
Univox Ultra elec12string
Lute 13 strings
Gibson Les Paul Triumph Bass
Piano, Keyboards, Controllers, Marimba, Dusty Strings harp
Old 05-22-2022, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

What I've done, and I'll try to adjust for today's market. All purchased in the last ten years.

Bought my 70 Guild D 35 for $250 and spent another $1100 on it. Was underwater until recently. I could easily live with this as my one and only.

Bought my 65 Texan for what was then Reverb's top dollar price of $3400. A very large stretch for my cheaper nature, but it was a once a decade guitar for me, a good $1500 more than I ever paid. Never regretted it.

In 2014 I wrote down on paper exactly the guitar I wanted. Basically a 00 15sm with binding. At the time I did not know it was a fairly popular Custom form the likes of LA Guitar. Around a month later, one was in Gryphon, new, from someone's busted deal. $1695 was in my comfort zone. Probably $2000 or more today.

Three years ago I bought an 07 D 35 Custom through Bryan Kimsey, $2000 plus a Hiscox case to replace the Martin case that was falling apart. Today I'd probably list it for $2500.

Over this time period I played probably every kind of boutique guitar. Gryphon's used wall is great for that. Many, many great guitars. Mid $3000s to around $6k. The only ones I lusted after were mid 60s D 18s. Should have bought the really worn 65 for $2200.

So my likes are mine alone, and no sale so far, though some Collings dreads I've played with thirty years on them are starting to show promise, as do some older D 18 Authentics.

Now it could very well be age, but I don't really lust for much. I did buy a Weber Yellowstone Deluxe last year. Usually I buy something every two or three years. I play my guitars one at a time for what is usually a month or so at a time. I recently switched from the Martin D 35 to my Texan, and a whole new world emerged. like it does every time. My Guild will give me the same feeling when it comes around. The 00 15 gets spot play.

So for me, a mid sixties D 18 or a D 18 GE is the only thing on my radar, either would be under $4K. Most guitars are too lush for my ear. I guess you can count me lucky in that respect.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 05-22-2022, 02:57 PM

I’d say around 3,000. That gets me all the guitar that I need…but I’m always curious about that next level.
Old 05-22-2022, 03:02 PM

At this point in time I'd say $4000. But a D45 is in my future....soooooo....
Various other acoustics
Various electric guitars and amps
Old 05-23-2022, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
So what is the sweet spot for you in terms of price? At what point to you get to the place where you say it's not worth it to go up any further, or, the point of diminishing returns becomes unjustifiable?
The question has assumptions in it. Because it's not that simple. It depends on allot of things like intent and purpose of the guitar. A person can change the world with a cheap guitar.

Experiencing a large number of guitars is the key and not that many really have that opportunity.

I have played $1,500 guitars and thought it was a waste of money that could have gone for a much better guitar. I have also played very expensive guitars I wish I have never touched.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 05-23-2022, 09:51 AM
Guest 33123

To overly simplify things:

Steel string acoustics = $3000-$6000
Electrics = $2000-$3000
National resos = whatever they are asking
Old 05-23-2022, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

I think I’m done buying new guitars though I have said that before.

First over the top guitar was a PRS Artist II new in ‘94, 3k

2017 es 175, found a steal at 2.6k

Then in 2020 an 814ce Dlx + GS Min hog on that BOGO with tax about 4.5k

Last year a GT K21e 5k with tax

So my sweet spot seems to be 5k.

All the Taylors are the result of those government Covid checks. Doubt, hope, those don’t come around again.

If they do or some other windfall comes my way I’ll investigate small batch lutheries. Used most likely.
Old 05-23-2022, 12:30 PM

I guess I could say that my sweet spot has gotten pretty high just because I primarily play fingerstyle and have discovered that some really pricey builders really do build guitars that are top of the heap. I don't collect or own a lot of guitars. I'm pretty much a three guitar guy...one really nice one for fingerstyle, another nice but not as expensive guitar for fingerstyle as well (different tuning than the other), and one for strumming that's really good quality but sub $1k. After having a Taran built a couple of years from now, I will own two Taran guitars and will have to see how I feel about owning two guitars of that value as that is a bit uncomfortable for me to think about...but I love the one I have and it will be hard to let go.
Searching for the right Esteban...
Old 05-23-2022, 03:02 PM

For me, the sweet spot is 700-1200 dollars depending on what you are looking for (these are Asian made usually). That said, if you are looking for an exotic sound like Koa or you want a USA made, expect to pay a heck of a lot more.

For USA made, you are probably spending 2-4k or more.
2022 Guild F512E - Maple

Last edited by Stonehauler; 05-24-2022 at 05:37 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion