The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-17-2022, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward993 View Post
Awww, crud, late to this party!

I was immediately going to eliminate any piezo UST as there is zero quack (finally, yessss!!!). And I was going to dismiss the K&K, as well. I was thinking mag pup, too.

But fwiw, my computer speakers lack bass so that's not a fair assessment (sorry, too lazy to grab the good headphones), but I know on my DAW the ES2 straight in is fairly bassy but also has these dominant mids. It's a fair canvas on which to build on, IMO. And far and away better than piezo USTs to me!

Edward
What is DAW?

Martin D-28 Satin
Fender American Ultra Telecaster
Old 05-17-2022, 10:39 AM

Digital Audio Workstation - music software
Old 05-17-2022, 03:26 PM

Thanks to all who participated in my little guessing game.

I think the ES2 sounds good if you get a good one. I have had one or two that did not sound good at all, but this one sounds good.

Martin D-28 Satin
Old 05-17-2022, 05:42 PM

I certainly don't wanna hijack this thread but I wouldn't mind hearing others who have also been successful with direct acoustic recording. For me, and particularly for work, a great plug-and-play system would be really valuable. I'd just like to see what perhaps others have been able to manage.

If that's too much of a hijack Bob, I'll start another similar thread
Old 05-17-2022, 08:27 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
I certainly don't wanna hijack this thread but I wouldn't mind hearing others who have also been successful with direct acoustic recording. For me, and particularly for work, a great plug-and-play system would be really valuable. I'd just like to see what perhaps others have been able to manage.

Fine by me.

I would like to hear samples of other systems too.

Martin D-28 Satin
Old 05-17-2022, 08:27 PM

Quote:

not traditional, but cool...

Last edited by rockabilly69; 05-17-2022 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-17-2022, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvanesebob View Post

I think the ES2 sounds good if you get a good one. I have had one or two that did not sound good at all, but this one sounds good.
I thought it sounded great. I'd be happy to play with that sound live. Thanks for taking the time to post it.
Old 05-17-2022, 11:53 PM

Very nice!
I’m late and was wrong anyway. Would have guessed a mic/soundboard combo. I’m impressed!

Quote:
Can you guess what pickup system this is just by listening to it?

Use headphones or monitors so you can hear it clearly.

The recording is just a straight recording with everything set flat and no effects.

Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 05-18-2022, 01:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Yes, indeed, the ES2 Rocks When Right!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 05-18-2022, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post

Good sound. I used to have an M1 active years ago, and currently have an M80 around here somewhere.

Martin D-28 Satin
Old 05-18-2022, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I thought it sounded great. I'd be happy to play with that sound live. Thanks for taking the time to post it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Z View Post
Very nice!
I’m late and was wrong anyway. Would have guessed a mic/soundboard combo. I’m impressed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Yes, indeed, the ES2 Rocks When Right!
Thanks,

I ran it through my LRBaggs venue DI into my Bose S1 Pro with everything flat and no effects. Ran the output of the S1 into the input of my Focusrite 18i8.

I also have a line6 HX Stomp that I setup and acoustic channel with a little chorus/reverb/delay, and it sounds totally awesome through that.

Martin D-28 Satin
Old 05-18-2022, 07:00 AM

Quote:

Hi Joseph,
I'll just do a quick post to say I've done a majority of everything I post on my Youtube channel using a direct in K&K Pure Mini. I, like most other folks, prefer a microphone, but using the direct in has some advantages when doing overdub multi-track recording. If you're doing compositions where you're adding other instruments or vocals then the importance of pure acoustic guitar tone starts to be less important.

I've got some more guitar-centric videos using a pair of mics, but that's not generally my focus. My favorite method of fairly quickly flushing out songs is to go two acoustic guitars (capoed low and high) and adding bass / vocals.

Last edited by Rudy4; 05-18-2022 at 07:52 AM.
Old 05-18-2022, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Hi Joseph,
I'll just do a quick post to say I've done a majority of everything I post on my Youtube channel using a direct in K&K Pure Mini. I, like most other folks, prefer a microphone, but using the direct in has some advantages when doing overdub multi-track recording. If you're doing compositions where you're adding other instruments or vocals then the importance of pure acoustic guitar tone starts to be less important.

I've got some more guitar-centric videos using a pair of mics, but that's not generally my focus. My favorite method of fairly quickly flushing out songs is to go two acoustic guitars (capoed low and high) and adding bass / vocals.
Yea Rudy, I'm of the same mindset to be sure. Your setup and song sound great. I'm just more of a multi-track guy than I am chasing a single-mic'd acoustic. It's not that I don't marvel at the beauty of a solo acoustic guitar, I do, it's just not what I gravitate towards.

Like you, I also tend to capo to double parts but usually not so much low and high but more so relatively close (neck-wise) just for slightly different voicing and inversions. I also tend to add a touch of orchestral instrumentation. I find direct guitars in this scenario tend to sit a bit more upfront and mixing isn't as arduous.

When I get a chance I'll record a snippet of something and post it just for grins!
Old 05-18-2022, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post

This link isn’t working for me.

Edit: OK, it works from a browser, but not from Tapatalk. Weird.

Last edited by lkingston; 05-18-2022 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-19-2022, 06:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I do a live stream just about every Sunday afternoon. I don't have a dedicated music room so while I'm streaming I'll have kids running through the house, the doorbell ringing, the dog barking, etc. So I don't use a mic on my guitar. I've messed with all kinds of different setups including some IRs. I gave up on the IRs a while back though and so far this year I've tried the following all running through a Sunnaudio DI-2:

Takamine EF340S-TT (Pickup: Tak Palathetic w/TLD-2 preamp)
Maton Performer (Pickup: AP5 Pro)
Goodall Concert Jumbo (Sunrise)
Gibson J45 (LR Baggs Anthem)

My channel is: http://youtube.com/mattwahlmusic

I call each show "Sunny Song Sunday" and then give it a number starting over each year. Many of the thumbnails show me on piano but I always start on guitar. Unless the thumbnail shows the guitar, I'm not always sure which guitar is in what video but here are some I know for sure:

#17 is the Takamine, #14 is the Maton, #6 is the Goodall, #3 is the Gibson.

If you go back even further you can find a Furch and the same Goodall but with a K&K. Those were both run through an HX Stomp using an IR.

I'm not sure I would call any of them "successful." They all get the job done and have their own benefits and drawbacks.

Matt

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification