The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-13-2022, 04:59 PM

Default Budget Alternative to EV30m

I have the EV30m which is incredible! I also recently purchased a Turbosound iP300 and A/B ed them side by side. EV was slightly louder by only 1dB. The EV bass was also slightly better because of the wooden enclosure. iP300 has an App but the EV is far superior. iP300 only has 2 inputs and a very basic reverb. Sound wise they are very similar. Both have clean highs that stay clean at volume. Both have a 120 degree throw. For $440 the iP300 is an incredible bargain for those who can't afford the $1,400 EV30.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXaNcpN2CMo&t=3s
Old 05-13-2022, 05:09 PM

It depends upon what you are looking for I suppose. For me, the built in mixer is a huge draw. As is having the subwoofer coupling to the floor. As is having the high frequency drivers separate and up high over peoples’ heads (which doesn’t matter at all in an empty room test, but makes all the difference in the world in a room full of people).

I paid about $1050 for my customer returned (but otherwise new) 30Ms.

My theory is that as good as the app is, it is confusing to a certain percentage of customers, and they get frustrated and return the 30M. That is why I believe the ProAudioStar customer returns are so readily available. The certainly are a good deal.

The TurboSound definitely looks like a cool speaker, but it isn’t that complete all in one solution for us singing guitarists like the 30M or 50M is.

Last edited by lkingston; 05-13-2022 at 07:51 PM.
Old 05-13-2022, 08:52 PM

Does it have to be placed on a pole to deliver good sound? I realize the controls would be hard to reach, but with the phone app or a mixer that wouldn't be an issue. I suppose stability could be a concern but it appears to be wider that most array speakers.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 05-14-2022, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wweiss View Post
I have the EV30m which is incredible! I also recently purchased a Turbosound iP300 and A/B ed them side by side. EV was slightly louder by only 1dB. The EV bass was also slightly better because of the wooden enclosure. iP300 has an App but the EV is far superior. iP300 only has 2 inputs and a very basic reverb. Sound wise they are very similar. Both have clean highs that stay clean at volume. Both have a 120 degree throw. For $440 the iP300 is an incredible bargain for those who can't afford the $1,400 EV30.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXaNcpN2CMo&t=3s
Thanks for the content as always!

At a pretty similar price to the QSC CP8 - why would you pick one over the other and is the CP8 worth the additional dollars?
Old 05-14-2022, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpino View Post
Thanks for the content as always!

At a pretty similar price to the QSC CP8 - why would you pick one over the other and is the CP8 worth the additional dollars?

The dispersion is different. The CP8 is 90 degrees on both the horizontal and vertical. You probably want two to cover the horizontal space you are in and it doesn’t have a particularly long throw as a lot of sound is being sent into the floor and ceiling.

The IP300 has column type dispersion of 40 degrees vertical and 120 degrees horizontal. Wider coverage from a single speaker and more throw to the back of the room since less sound is being wasted into the flood and ceiling.
Old 05-14-2022, 10:19 AM

What is missing is a subwoofer coupled the the floor for low frequencies. Some people will prefer this as they can pair it with a subwoofer with more low end for full range music. Personally, I think the amount of bass produced by the 30M subwoofer is about right for acoustic in a small to medium room.
Old 05-14-2022, 10:26 PM

jpino - Good comparison iP300 compared to QSC CP8. CP8 has a few advantages: smaller form factor and lighter, QSC's great 6 year warranty, 1/8" input for phone, old school controls for quick changes without menu diving, EQed for subwoofer out, max volume louder by 8db! Probably as loud as two iP300's!

iP300: More full range/Hifi sound with bass that goes down considerably lower, 120 degree dispersion which results in less stage volume and less volume for audience that is close to stage, longer throw, built in Bluetooth!, App control, Proper EQ with mid control, 3 band EQ on all channels, future firmware updates, $40 less

Yes, can be played on the floor with extra bass coupling. Down low will lose some high frequencies that should have HF driver at ear level. Has weight but still can be easily tipped over.

Both great deals for the money, comes down to personal preference.

Last edited by wweiss; 05-14-2022 at 10:37 PM.
Old 05-21-2022, 06:41 PM

I've used the ip2000. Pulled the trigger on the ip300. Gonna try it out for the campground gig. I need to pack small for it since we got rid of our crossover vehicle.
Old 05-23-2022, 07:13 PM

Another speaker to consider very similar to the iP300 is the new JBL710. $450 Same weight but bigger and bulkier without side handle. Bluetooth, good App with 8 band EQ. Very good sounding with a more mid emphasis than iP300. As loud as the EV30.
Old 05-24-2022, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wweiss View Post
Another speaker to consider very similar to the iP300 is the new JBL710. $450 Same weight but bigger and bulkier without side handle. Bluetooth, good App with 8 band EQ. Very good sounding with a more mid emphasis than iP300. As loud as the EV30.

The only thing the JBL710 is competitive with is the SPL. It has regular point source dispersion. Needs a stand to get high frequencies over peoples’ s heads, and has no floor bass coupling once you do that. There’s no mixer or reverb. I don’t see how anyone looking at an EV30M would look at this as being a contender.

What makes the 30M so cool is that it really is an all-in-one solution. You plug it into power, plug in a mic and guitar, and you are set. With a JBL710, you still need a second one (for dispersion), stands for them both, a monitor, a mixer with reverb (and a stand for the mixer), and a bunch of wires. It’s not even remotely competitive, at least not for a singing guitarist or duo looking for a simple PA solution.
Old 05-24-2022, 10:38 AM

You're right the EV30 is in another league but not everyone can afford $1,400. $950 difference is considerable for people starting out. I do agree the difference in $$ is well spent in the long run for those who can stretch their budget.
The JBL710 at that low price makes a great extension speaker especially for the JBL MK2 because it shares the same App, has equal the power, and excellent sound. Dispersion at 110 degrees is a little better than your typical 90 degree point source. It would also make a great Aux speaker for the EV30 instead of spending the $$ for a second EV30.

Last edited by wweiss; 05-24-2022 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-24-2022, 11:07 AM

Fair enough. With the second 30M, you are looking at using it in “Basic” mode, where it is functioning as a simple extension speaker. The value of a second subwoofer coupled to the floor is debatable.

In the ElectroVoice ecosystem, I suppose you could do the same thing with the ELX200p as the extension speaker and controlled through the same app.
Old 05-24-2022, 05:24 PM

EV ELX200-10 is $750. Still $300 more. You're right, would sync up with the EV30 App.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification