The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-11-2022, 10:47 PM

Default Schatten HFN and pedals?

Long time reader, first time poster!

I’ve got a 1990 Washburn D-30, sloped shoulder solid cedar top, maple sides and back. I’m leaning heavily towards installing a passive Schatten HFN for coffee shop small gig stuff but I have no real world experience with pedals of any kind never mind what would work with the Schatten HFN. I know I will need a tuner but beyond that I’m lost. I’m not looking to spend a fortune, just be able to tone shape and kill some feedback.

Thoughts and Recommendations?

Thanks
Joe

Gibson J45 Studio Rosewood
Washburn D-30S
Yamaha G-250S
Old 05-12-2022, 10:43 AM

I have a passive Schatten HFN and it is a really low signal. I use either a K&K belt clip preamp or a Behringer ADI21. The K&K sounds a lot better but it's a bit more cumbersome if I want to raise and lower the volume for bare finger picking vs strumming with a pic. If I know I'm going to be switching multiple times, I'll set up the Behringer so I can switch between the two with my foot.

I use a clip on tuner so I can't help you with that.
Old 05-12-2022, 03:12 PM

Schatten HFN is a great sounding pickup which I use in several guitars (beside other soundboard transducers).
If you want to keep it simple you want to use a BOSS tuner pedal. It will do the impedance matching that passive pickups need. Use a BOSS, no other manufacturer !
If you want to use dedicated preamp and a clip on tuner, there are loads of options ranging from $50 up to $1300.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 05-13-2022, 03:10 PM

Not sure if this will help as I don’t use a tuner pedal. I have two guitars with Schatten HFN passive pick up and a 7 band EQ pedal with volume helps greatly. The Boss GE7 or the much cheaper Behringer EQ700 copy (which I own and works great) really enables you to EQ in what you want and EQ out what you don’t. Super simple to use.
Old 05-13-2022, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canada_rokzz View Post
Long time reader, first time poster!

I’ve got a 1990 Washburn D-30, sloped shoulder solid cedar top, maple sides and back. I’m leaning heavily towards installing a passive Schatten HFN for coffee shop small gig stuff but I have no real world experience with pedals of any kind never mind what would work with the Schatten HFN. I know I will need a tuner but beyond that I’m lost. I’m not looking to spend a fortune, just be able to tone shape and kill some feedback.

Thoughts and Recommendations?

Thanks
Joe
Joe, welcome to AGF.

It would be hard to beat the Baggs Venue for what you're after there - tuner, EQ, gain, and impedance matching (that last one is worth verifying.)
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 05-13-2022, 06:02 PM

I've been happy with the amped sound from my active Schattens. The batteries seem to last for months and months, if you're concerned. That goes into a Boss Acoustic Singer Live amp, which gives me reverb and "Acoustic Resonance" in three strengths. It can be fun to add a digital delay pedal, an equalizer or a compressor/sustainer. Each can give a different & subtle "embiggening" effect on the sound. The next day, I might skip all that and play straight and clean. That's my problem with sound tailoring- I'm too easy to please. All these effects work well, if not overdone. And when your hero plays their unplugged prewar Martin live, someone else is dialing in these effects in the background.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 05-14-2022, 03:50 AM

One affordable preamp with tuner, solo boost, EQ, comp that I can highly recommend is the Fishman Platinum Pro EQ. I tried it with HFNs in various guitars and it worked well.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 05-14-2022, 04:16 AM

I've used passive HFNs in my instruments for 12+ years and have never had a problem plugging into anything anywhere. In the past I've used a variety of preamps -- including Venue or Session DIs and now use a Tonedexter in my personal setup -- BUT all of them have been post-tuner. My tuner of choice has been, and still is, a Korg Pitchblack+ that is both a strobe tuner AND a A/B switch that lets me tune and select from two instruments (both with HFNs, of course).

I guess my end-message is you'll have no-worries based on my experience (and I continue to put passive HFNs in all of my instruments).

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 05-18-2022, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecuss View Post
...tuner, EQ, gain, and impedance matching (that last one is worth verifying.)
That would seem to be the case.

Quote:
1/4” INPUT
Input Impedance: 10 megohms
Preamp Gain: -12dB to +26dB
Input Level: -25dBv to +1.8dBv (.053Vrms to 1.23Vrms)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
hfn, sbt, schatten