The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-08-2022, 04:37 PM

Default Acoustic preamp

When using an acoustic preamp into an AER compact 60/4 what should you set the amps eqs at.
Old 05-08-2022, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Dave View Post
When using an acoustic preamp into an AER compact 60/4 what should you set the amps eqs at.
Hi CCD
Whatever tone settings you love when you are listening to it!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-08-2022, 05:37 PM
Eric Skye

Buffering aside, your stand-alone preamp likely has eq too. So if for example you were using a Bagg’s Para DI into and an AER, I think the bass and treble frequencies are about the same, so start with deciding on which device you’d like to boost or cut those frequencies on. If you go too far down the rabbit hole of boosting and cutting redundant frequencies on two different devices things could get weird quick -hope that made sense.

On the other hand I believe the mid pot of the AER is 1.2K, but perhaps your standalone preamp has a mid pot at 500hz, now you can hit two very common problem spots for acoustic pickups, between the two devices. And again, using the Bagg’s as an example, I believe you’d also have a presence control (5K) which I think the amp does not.

In short, chose one or the other for duplicate frequencies, and that take advantage of whatever differing bands you have between the two devices.

When I’ve used the K&K pickup into an AER I had the most luck with just using an eq pedal... I’d really love to see one of the manufacturers make a small stand-alone acoustic guitar preamp with a dozen bands of graphic eq, but I digress.
Old 05-10-2022, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

You could use a pickup that needs little to no EQ, and be done with it. My stereo rig starts with a cartridge that has the basic sound I'm looking for, then if I want brighter or warmer, in goes the proper pre amp tube. No treble or bass control needed.

For acoustic guitar, it is Dazzo into SunAudio. The SunAudio pre is usually set flat. Using the best electronic parts with a good design with few components, is the best tone for me.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 05-10-2022, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Start it flat and adjust it to suit your desired tone.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 05-10-2022, 04:18 PM

I take out all the mids,slightly boost the bass,and sometimes when the colour button is on I slightly cut the trebles.At the same time on the parametric eq of my Lr Baggs venue I completely cut the 200hz,I sweep the mids and depending on the pick up I cut almost every thing between 800 and 1200 hz and I slightly boost the bass.Also the strings freshness make me give or take high frequencies.and some small adjustments are made for the style I am playing .I get constantly positive feedback for what comes out.
Gibson SJ200,Martin OM28V,D18GE custom,000-18 2015,J12-15,Yamaha L25A,L20A,FG350W,FG441S-12,SLG200S,Taylor GSMini mahogany,National M1 tricone,Eastman E10ss/v,Gretch Honey Dipper,Harp Guitar,FenderStratocaster,Line 6 300/600/700 acoustic,W Rees Aberdeen meadows Harp,Fullsicle Harp,2 sitars,more instruments and guitars

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification