The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-06-2022, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Same here but my hearing aids came when I was in my late 30s. Some of mine was genetics, but loud stages are potentially part of it. Young people don’t listen to this advice on hearing protection however. Everyone’s ears are invincible until they’re not.
Yep, my best and long lasting musical purchases are purely utilitarian, and spending ca. 100 USD/EUR for a custom molded - 15db ear plugs those 5-6 years ago was definitely one of those.

Issue only is... I began singing in the meantime, and it feels weird when I wear them, like the voice in my head is WAY louder than the rest. Might have to get a - 10db set now.....
Old 05-06-2022, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Same here but my hearing aids came when I was in my late 30s. Some of mine was genetics, but loud stages are potentially part of it. Young people don’t listen to this advice on hearing protection however. Everyone’s ears are invincible until they’re not.
I needed them in my early 30's but ignored that advice. Fortunately my hearing did not seriously deteriorate in the decades I put off getting hearing aids. Some of mine was from pneumatic tools (eg air chisel for exhaust systems) and tire mounting early in life at a family owned service station as well as lots of shooting, but stage volume was also a contributor in early adulthood.
Old 05-07-2022, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
I recently got a used "scratched up" Artist... Sounds fantastic !
I used it the other day as a stage monitor for both guitar and vocals. Feed out to a Bose L1 Pro PA.

Nice amp and very versatile. Hope the one you see tomo is a keeper!
Don't let the scratches through you off..
The covering on the older models was not great and very brittle.
Duck tape is your friend!
Got it! It was less scratched up than advertised, mostly under the handle where no one would notice anyway, and got the dedicated cover too. It supposedly had a master volume pot replaced... Anyway took it, we'll see how it fares. I think I did fine for slightly above half of what a new one would cost (it's the non-BT version, which is fine by me, I prefer cables anyway).

What would be a good solution to angle it up further? Markbass makes some velcro'ey stiff foldable card, of which Thomann makes a knock-off. Or maybe just get the pricey Fender tiltback sticks?
Old 05-07-2022, 05:11 AM
Charter Member

To add some additional 'tilt' I use a piece of dense foam packing material. Cheap, functional and readily at hand.
Old 05-08-2022, 09:34 PM
Charter Member

I've used my Artist as a stage monitor and it worked great. I connected the monitor output from the mixer to the efx loop return Jack, bypassing the preamp section altogether.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification