The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-03-2022, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Thumbs up Barndoor electronics, really work well!!

For people that spend quite a bit of time on stage playing guitar and singing I personally find Barndoor electronics to be far superior to other more simple pickup systems.

Don't get me wrong I love a K&K Pure Mini on my best (ultra responsive, lightly buil) acoustic instrument. But when it comes to performing on stage having a built in tuner, images that sound incredible, a super rock solid pickup system with multiple sources that is easy to operate quickly while you are busy worried about singing or doing other things is by far better than trying to reach inside a sound hole or reach down to the floor to adjust an outboard preamp.

I personally have found the Fishman Aura series pickups to be the best of the best for stage use. I have a couple Martin Retro series guitars that sounds just incredible plugged in. I also have an older JC-16RE aura that also functions so well for this purpose. The plugged in sound from these guitars just can't be beat to my ears at least!! I crack up a bit that both the Aura and Retro series guitars are no longer produced by Martin now in favor of what I would consider inferior systems.

I know folks don't like cutting into wood but dang they are tough to beat for working musicians!!

Anyway I just wanted to share quickly.
Old 05-03-2022, 04:12 PM

Yup, the ol' "barndoor" system can work just fine!

Like many here I am sure, I have been around enough different acoustics and pickup systems over decades to know they vary; in many cases vary wildly. But for anyone who has spent any time learning sound reinforcement (or just gigging, playing, and learning by doing), you know that you can make most any system usable. And with some, even pretty darned good. And with a few others, even excellent sounding.

Pickup systems are just that, a "system" of components --and practices-- that yield your sound. And we all have our own sonic preferences. But ultimately, it is the end user who bears the final responsibility to sound good. Kudos to you, sir, for sounding good!

Edward
Old 05-03-2022, 04:16 PM

I switched gigging guitars from an Eastman to a Yamaha A3CM with a barn door system just for the simplicity of it. Easy accessible controls and exterior access to battery are a must for gigging IMO.
Old 05-03-2022, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Agree 100% in gig situations. I use an LR Baggs M80 in my Gibson G-00 and really prefer the sound of it. But the LR Baggs Element Stage Pro system in my Rainsong CH-OM is super convenient and gives a good, useable sound.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 05-03-2022, 08:41 PM

100%. The anti-barndoor crowd here can be so annoying.
Old 05-03-2022, 09:17 PM

I'll pile on the "Yay for barn doors" sentiment. I have an Aura on my Composite Acoustics. Sounds awesome, easy battery access, volume & simple EQ at hand, and the built-in tuner is awesome.
Old 05-04-2022, 03:29 AM

Tak.

'nuff said.
Old 05-04-2022, 03:57 AM
Guitar Gourmet

That's the problem, isn't it? When all is said and done.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-04-2022, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

While I'd never 'cut into' a high-end guitar (like my Froggy Bottom) to install a barn door system, I definitely agree that I much prefer guitars with barn door pickups for my gigging. The ability to tweak output volumes and make EQ adjustments when shifting between playing with a pick or fingerstyle is very helpful for best sound. And the ability to tweak out an offending feedback frequency on-the-fly with an onboard notch is a must when dealing with an unknown sound system (PA or amp).
Old 05-04-2022, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
100%. The anti-barndoor crowd here can be so annoying.
I don't think it's people being anti-barndoor just to be difficult. It's a lot of musicians with high end guitars, not wanting to cut into the side of the instrument to install a system that will soon be outdated. That's my take. I cringe when I see high end acoustics getting a huge hole cut out of the side. If the guitar comes with it then that's one thing, but aftermarket is another.

I really like the simplicity and ease of use of barndoor, controls but I tend to look for instruments that have it already installed. I also tend to not spend a ton on those guitars. I mean, I really love my Godin A8 mandolin for the external controls, but it also wasn't super expensive.
Old 05-04-2022, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperB23 View Post
For people that spend quite a bit of time on stage playing guitar and singing I personally find Barndoor electronics to be far superior to other more simple pickup systems.
Hi SuperB
I sure DO NOT find that to be true of cheaper barn-door systems (or guitars with cheap barn door systems).

As a sometimes sound-tech, they are a pain, and impossible to make sound decent.

Also as a sound tech I hate (strongly) people who try to adjust their own sound from the stage during performances. I spent the time to balance your system during sound checks and do not enjoy trying to outguess what you are attempting to accomplish when you 'tweak' your settings I spent time making sound decent before we started the performance!

If you were only affecting your monitor, or amp, it would fine if you adjust volumes, but if you are messing with the house (which you cannot hear properly while on-stage) it is upsetting to sound personnel.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-04-2022, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post

Also as a sound tech I hate (strongly) people who try to adjust their own sound from the stage during performances. I spent the time to balance your system during sound checks and do not enjoy trying to outguess what you are attempting to accomplish when you 'tweak' your settings I spent time making sound decent before we started the performance!

If you were only affecting your monitor, or amp, it would fine if you adjust volumes, but if you are messing with the house (which you cannot hear properly while on-stage) it is upsetting to sound personnel.

This is an interesting point. I completely get the tweaking on stage. I do sound for my band and spend quite a bit of time before the show getting levels correct. I always ask the band to try and play as they would during a show, but my guitar and fiddle player always find soundcheck weird so they play lightly. Once we get going, they start tweaking and it's annoying.

On the other hand, I do sometimes hate being at the mercy of a sound tech. A lot will eq my acoustic to sound bright and thin so that it will cut through the mix. I get it, but it's one of the reasons why I am never happy with my sound.
Old 05-04-2022, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Once we get going, they start tweaking and it's annoying.
This might be an appropriate situation to apply some gaffer tape.

Warn them once, if they ignore you, tape their hands to the side of their head.
Old 05-04-2022, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
…On the other hand, I do sometimes hate being at the mercy of a sound tech.
Hi Petty…
As do we all if it's an amateur on the board. On the other hand, when a seasoned veteran of mixing who knows the house, the audience, and the sound system is out front, I'll trust him/her.

I've learned that sound techs are like Ceasar…if they get upset with you, it's off with your head/voice/mix/volume! Some are like the Hulk - "Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry…"

I play often enough in the same venue and the techs are part of my casual-friend mix. I ALWAYS make friends with them.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-04-2022, 01:29 PM

Quote:
I don't think it's people being anti-barndoor just to be difficult. It's a lot of musicians with high end guitars, not wanting to cut into the side of the instrument to install a system that will soon be outdated. That's my take. I cringe when I see high end acoustics getting a huge hole cut out of the side. If the guitar comes with it then that's one thing, but aftermarket is another.

I really like the simplicity and ease of use of barndoor, controls but I tend to look for instruments that have it already installed. I also tend to not spend a ton on those guitars. I mean, I really love my Godin A8 mandolin for the external controls, but it also wasn't super expensive.
Except that it IS people bagging on barn door pickups that were installed by the factory. I saw, and heard, it here when I put up my 90s Taylor 714BLE that came with a factory barn door Fishman system. GASP! Brazilian rosewood violated by that hunk of plastic! It's worth 1/2 of what it would be without the pickup.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification