The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-26-2022, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Default Pro Tools 2022.4 Released

Avid just released the latest Pro Tools (v 2022.4). It seems to be a minor application release with a major change to its subscription model. No Apple Silicon native operation yet. A three tier packaging - Pro Tools Artist, Pro Tools Studio and Pro Tools Ultimate (also called Pro Tools Flex for subscription holders).

Theres not too much on the Avid website yet. Here's one page about the new three-tiered model:

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...ro-Tools-Tiers
Old 04-26-2022, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

This article goes into detail. People best not let their perpetual licenses lapse.

Pro Tools 2022.4 Released - Everything You Need To Know
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 04-26-2022, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

More info here...

Pro Tools 2022.4 - Costs, Customer Migration And Off Plan Reinstatements

Customer Migration

These are significant changes and the question uppermost in the minds of current users is understandably going to be “How does this affect me?”. Here’s a breakdown:
  • Pro Tools Ultimate user with perpetual licence and current support plan - You will be automatically migrated to the current version of Pro Tools Ultimate the cost is unchanged at $399
  • Pro Tools Ultimate user with perpetual licence and expired support plan - You have the option to get to a current version with a 12 month support plan for $749 or to buy an annual subscription for $999.
  • Pro Tools Ultimate user with active subscription - You will be automatically migrated to Pro Tools Flex for the new reduced cost of $999 annually or $99 monthly.
  • Pro Tools user with perpetual licence and current support plan - You will be automatically migrated to the current version of Pro Tools Studio the cost is unchanged at $199
  • Pro Tools user with perpetual licence and expired support plan - You have the option to get to a current version with a 12 month support plan for the new reduced price of $349 or to buy an annual subscription for $299.
  • Pro Tools user with active subscription - You will be automatically migrated to Pro Tools Studio at a cost of $299 annually, $31.99 monthly as part of an annual commitment or $39.99 monthly.
  • Pro Tools First User - Pro Tools First has been discontinued.

YouTube
Old 04-26-2022, 02:05 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
This article goes into detail. People best not let their perpetual licenses lapse.
Man, that's for sure. A grand a year for the deluxe level..
When $200 still gets you Logic for life. Just wow.
Old 04-26-2022, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
Man, that's for sure. A grand a year for the deluxe level..
When $200 still gets you Logic for life. Just wow.
If you already have a perpetual license, the update fee per year is still $400 for the top level and $200 for the next one down. Clearly PT isn't for everyone but I've been using it for 20+ years and the only real complaint I've had is a lack of contrast in the midi editor but that's been improved. At 62, I'm not guaranteed another 20 years to learn a new daw so I'll stick with PT and pay the vig.

YouTube

Last edited by jim1960; 04-27-2022 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-27-2022, 11:04 AM

I certainly can't see Avid ever losing its stronghold on the Video/Audio Production industry. It's just locked up. In so I'd have to assume their business model indicates that it would be, in and of itself, profitable enough to stay the course marketing to that singular segment. With that in mind this new structure, for everyone else, is really kinda crazy bad. An expensive, subscription-based model with virtually zero updates.

Other than the tried and true and superior audio editing feature set of Pro Tools, the rest of the software capabilities are obviously and woefully behind every other DAW solution currently on the market. The improvements to the current version appear to be a really horrible sounding softsynth, Aux return channels now instantiate with solo safe on, and the ability to assign custom quick keys. The ability to assign quick keys? Really? This is an update? Jeez Louise. Without a doubt much ado about absolutely nothing.

I'm a fanboy. I'm a former Avid/Digidesign employee and I've used Pro Tools to create a relatively successful career and in so the direction this company has taken has been pretty tough to swallow. At least coming from the perspective of a home music production environment. I'll of course continue to use Pro Tools at work but I'm also gonna' double down on using Studio One for my music production as it's just a much more capable solution.
Old 04-27-2022, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

I like the 2022.4 release. Being a perpetual owner of PT Standard, I was just upgraded to PT Studio with a fair number of new features (most originating from PT Ultimate), many bug fixes and a few more plugins, without any increase in the annual upgrade and support fee of $199.

Surprisingly, I installed PT Studio 2022.4 on my recording studio 2011 iMac (an older i5 CPU locked in OS 10.13.6 - High Sierra) and it runs just fine. No issues. For what I do, I might reach 40-50% CPU usage on playback with a load of alternate plugins. This machine should hold me for a time.

I am, however, disappointed that an Apple Silicon native version was not included in this release. Since many of the programmers for Avid software are in the Ukraine that is completely understandable. Still, I will await release of the native version before deciding on which Apple Silicon computer I will get. That being said, I'm having some second thoughts about jumping on the Apple Silicon bandwagon, at least for a studio computer. I have another iMac, a 2019, a 6-core i5 with current OS, etc. I could simply replace the fusion drive in it with an internal SSD and use that as my studio computer. That will only cost about $500.

Like Joseph, I to am a bit concerned about Avid's direction and service. I've had this concern for some time and so three years ago I purchased Presonus Studio One Professional, which I have now learned rather well (at least for my uses). It is a sophisticated and well designed DAW. It may turn out that I will sell my PT perp license and just use S1. Now that Avid has ceased selling perpetual licenses for PT, I suspect used PT perp licenses will be in high demand. We'll see.

Last edited by sdelsolray; 04-27-2022 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-27-2022, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

The only thing I care about was the bug in 2021.12 for Avid Carbon(interface) on Catalina ..where it would loose the I/O settings if you launched a new Session with a different Sample rate

I says it fixed an issue with "loosing communication with the Carbon" but that is fairly ambiguous given the issue I was having was it still was communicating with the Carbon but would revert to the default I/O settings and would not change them back until quitting PT and rebooting ...
I know

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-03-2022, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Quick update. So this new version does indeed FIX the Carbon interface sample rate issue So that is great news.

And as for the the new subscription plans .... This may be one of the best moves Avid has made in long time
Yes I know many (myself included ) are adverse to subscription vs a perpetual license ( the myth of software ownership not withstanding)

But for a pretty nominal fee this new Artist version for many of us here could be a fairly reasonable solution At $10 bucks a month or $100 a year it is not outrageous to have access to a continuously current version ....
AND it occurred to me that one could also work on getting your recordings organized and worked out on any free or currently owned DAW. And then purchase Artist for a month, or two, or three to record -mix- publish-- then lay off for some period to work on new projects etc. Just musing possibilities

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 05-03-2022, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Quick update. So this new version does indeed FIX the Carbon interface sample rate issue So that is great news.

And as for the the new subscription plans .... This may be one of the best moves Avid has made in long time
Yes I know many (myself included ) are adverse to subscription vs a perpetual license ( the myth of software ownership not withstanding)

But for a pretty nominal fee this new Artist version for many of us here could be a fairly reasonable solution At $10 bucks a month or $100 a year it is not outrageous to have access to a continuously current version ....
AND it occurred to me that one could also work on getting your recordings organized and worked out on any free or currently owned DAW. And then purchase Artist for a month, or two, or three to record -mix- publish-- then lay off for some period to work on new projects etc. Just musing possibilities
I'll definitely invest in the Artist solution as long as nothing other than the 32 track limitation is pulled back. That appears to be a genuine bargain. 16 Stereo tracks (or some combination there-in) would be enough for me. My current subscription is up in June and I'm sure I'll get the Artist subscription from there on. So says the guy facing the somewhat scary proposition of retirement
Old 05-03-2022, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
I'll definitely invest in the Artist solution as long as nothing other than the 32 track limitation is pulled back. That appears to be a genuine bargain. 16 Stereo tracks (or some combination there-in) would be enough for me. My current subscription is up in June and I'm sure I'll get the Artist subscription from there on. So says the guy facing the somewhat scary proposition of retirement
Well there are a few more "limitations' but they may not matter to most.
I would think ,,32 audio, 32 Instrument, and 64 Midi tracks is likely way more than sufficient for most AGF 'ers (for me the Routing Folder tracks is a big deal) but again Artist has 32 and is way more than I use

Unfortunately for me Carbon is not supported on Artist or I would seriously consider it. So I would have to go to the Studio version but that is still $100 less than renewing my Ultimate perpetual Or if I did the limited monthly I described even less money so its a real consideration when my license comes up for renewal Jan 30 23.

Trust me Grasshopper I have been at retirement for 16 years and it is a blast..
The only thing I stress over now is if I am using the right fly for what the fish are biting on

Here is an interesting Pro tools Expert blog article about why a working pro is considering the new Artist version

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...%20-%208100520

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 05-03-2022 at 10:29 AM.
Old 05-03-2022, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Well there are a few more "limitations' but they may not matter to most.
I would think ,,32 audio, 32 Instrument, and 64 Midi tracks is likely way more than sufficient for most AGF 'ers (for me the Routing Folder tracks is a big deal) but again Artist has 32 and is way more than I use

Unfortunately for me Carbon is not supported on Artist or I would seriously consider it. So I would have to go to the Studio version but that is still $100 less than renewing my Ultimate perpetual Or if I did the limited monthly I described even less money so its a real consideration when my license comes up for renewal Jan 30 23.

Trust me Grasshopper I have been at retirement for 16 years and it is a blast..
The only thing I stress over now is if I am using the right fly for what the fish are biting on

Here is an interesting Pro tools Expert blog article about why a working pro is considering the new Artist version

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...%20-%208100520
Ha! Thanks for the retirement sentiments. I work in what may be one of the worlds most stressful environments and it's only recently I've come to grips with the enormity of that world. I was just so emerged in the work I didn't fully realize how tough things were (are). That said however my doctor and wife both heartedly agree it's long past time. It's gonna be a weird Thanksgiving/Holidays but I'll deal

The ProTools Artist solution really looks good. If I'm using more than 32 tracks I'm doin' something wrong. I feel good about that scenario moving ahead
Old 05-03-2022, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Yes, the new Pro Tools Artist version/subscription is quite interesting, and yet it is not discussed nearly as much as PT Studio or PT Ultimate. It somewhat reminds me of the 1998-2008 Pro Tools LE era.
Old 05-04-2022, 06:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Yes, the new Pro Tools Artist version/subscription is quite interesting, and yet it is not discussed nearly as much as PT Studio or PT Ultimate. It somewhat reminds me of the 1998-2008 Pro Tools LE era.
Yes PT LE is what I started with in 2003 and frankly it was a great platform an all I needed. And honestly I could use it or Artist today (Except as mentioned Artist it will not run on my Carbon interface which is the best interface I have ever owned ). Now many Pro's who do video might not be interested in Artist but again with video editing platforms like Final Cut Pro or Davinci Resolve, that is not really an issue either IMO.

The only reason I switched from LE to HD(now Ultimate/ Flex) was to run HD Native which I no longer have....
So Studio is now serious a very consideration when my Ultimate perpetual renewal will be up in Jan. Which I may just revert to a perpetual now,,, that the Carbon issue is fixed, and and just use it until such time that things change enough to consider getting current with Studio ..........

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 05-04-2022, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
So Studio is now serious a very consideration when my Ultimate perpetual renewal will be up in Jan. Which I may just revert to a perpetual now,,, that the Carbon issue is fixed, and and just use it until such time that things change enough to consider getting current with Studio ..........
If you're going to do that, I think you'd be better off selling your perpetual license sooner than later so the next owner has the option of continuing with the upgrade plans. As I'm sure you know, once the upgrade plan is skipped, the perpetual can no longer move beyond its current level since Avid is no longer allowing lapsed licenses to reinstate their upgradable status. I would think it's a lot more valuable while that option exists.

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD