The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-26-2022, 08:28 AM

Default Bose S1 pro died…..

As in….nothing. No light, sound, nothing. Have not used this one (I have 2) for 10 months. Plugged it in and there was nothing happening. Yes, I tried different wall socket, power cord, removed the Battery.
Just wondering if anyone has had this happen…

Yes, I did call Bose. It is being shipped back, but they had no clue.
It could be 8 weeks for repair, but the let me know that for $150 (including shipping both ways) they will refurbish the entire unit, regardless of what the issue might be. Not bad.
Well, when the Bose person asked if there was anything else, I did mention that I was willing to pay the $150 but was miffed that all I did was turn it off and put it in the case and somehow in the ensuing 10 months it broke. The spokesperson mentioned that she had not heard much about this happening but reduced the fee to $75 and it still included the shipping both ways….
I like many of their products, but the service has been top level…..
Old 04-26-2022, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Sorry to hear this jj. I was going to say maybe the battery just fully discharged, but when you said you plugged it in and didn't work...well that just sucks...
Let us know if they give you an explanation when you get it back.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 04-26-2022, 11:43 AM

Had a similar experience with Xvive uc3. Sorry it happened to you. Another reason I'm not sold on battery power for *stuff. Gonna stop before the rant goes too far. But in case it's OK to throw this out there...what happens when a $60k car just stops working? [Mods remove if inappropriate]
Old 04-26-2022, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Very odd. Do you know if it was fully charged before you stopped playing it for 10 months? Also, how much had you used it before the storage? No real reason for these questions, just trying to figure it out, which you obviously have already worked through.

Since getting the EAE D6-58, my two Bose S1's are not getting nearly as much use but I do try to pull them out and force them out of hibernation mode and charge them and play them with a few guitars and mics just to ensure that they are still working.

I'll be needing both for an upcoming gig where we'll be playing to two rooms directly opposite each other so I'll need both up on the pole and facing 180 degrees out from each other. Keep us posted how it all shakes out. This is a first that I've heard, at least here.
Old 04-26-2022, 12:05 PM

Wow! That’s why I have spares of everything I need to gig. At least they are fixing for a reasonable price. Yeah, Bose service is top notch.
Old 04-26-2022, 12:29 PM

Did they have you take it out of sleep mode? Did the battery charge when you plugged in the power? Did you try taking the battery out and running it plugged in only?
Old 04-26-2022, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Did they have you take it out of sleep mode?
That was my first thought but I'd be surprised if Bose hadn't gone through this possibility and save everyone the hassle.
Old 04-26-2022, 09:36 PM

Whatever the cause was, it passed away in it’s sleep. It was charged when it was stored. Plugged it in and nothing happened. My second S-1 that I use a little now and then is fine.
I DID add to the instrument list (a couple of guitars) so perhaps it is a jealous thing and it is refusing to cooperate in protest. Not that I need another issue…but one never knows…
Old 04-27-2022, 05:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbigfly View Post
Whatever the cause was, it passed away in it’s sleep. It was charged when it was stored. Plugged it in and nothing happened. My second S-1 that I use a little now and then is fine.
I DID add to the instrument list (a couple of guitars) so perhaps it is a jealous thing and it is refusing to cooperate in protest. Not that I need another issue…but one never knows…
Oh No! I just bought a Voiceprint DI and hope that my S1 doesn't resist in protest
Old 04-27-2022, 05:41 AM
Charter Member

I thought my S1 had died but I just had to take the battery out and put it back in again and charge it a few times and it’s been fine ever since.
Old 04-27-2022, 12:13 PM

Product does not power on with battery power

If you are unable to turn on your product while it is unplugged and using only battery power, try the following:

The battery enters protection mode if unused for 30 days.

If the battery is not used for 30 consecutive days, it enters a Sleep mode to preserve battery health.

To exit Sleep mode, connect your system (with the battery attached) to an AC (mains) outlet and power it on. Set the Power switch to Quick Charge position for a few seconds, and then back to the On position.
Push the Power switch to the down/Quick Charge position, wait 10 seconds, then push the Power switch to the up/On position.
Reset your product.
Much like rebooting a smartphone, your product might need to be reset on occasion to correct minor issues. For more info, see Resetting your product.
Old 04-27-2022, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Product does not power on with battery power

If you are unable to turn on your product while it is unplugged and using only battery power, try the following:

The battery enters protection mode if unused for 30 days.

If the battery is not used for 30 consecutive days, it enters a Sleep mode to preserve battery health.

To exit Sleep mode, connect your system (with the battery attached) to an AC (mains) outlet and power it on. Set the Power switch to Quick Charge position for a few seconds, and then back to the On position.
Push the Power switch to the down/Quick Charge position, wait 10 seconds, then push the Power switch to the up/On position.
Reset your product.
Much like rebooting a smartphone, your product might need to be reset on occasion to correct minor issues. For more info, see Resetting your product.
Always someone spoiling the fun by reading the manual -
Old 04-29-2022, 07:06 AM

I leave mine plugged in all the time, unless it's in a location without power.

Never had this happen.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 04-29-2022, 07:07 AM

I wonder how long the battery will last if it's rarely used, but always charged?

I mean, I use the Bose S1-Pro every day or 2, but usually it's plugged in.

I only use it unplugged from time to time....

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

Last edited by Murphy Slaw; 04-29-2022 at 07:25 AM.
Old 05-03-2022, 06:01 AM

My S1 had been sitting for a while between uses, (A few months).

After reading this thread, I decided it was time to check if it was still working

Plugged it in, powered it up and everything was ok.

so curious to find out what the cause was for you jjbigfly

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification