The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-31-2019, 11:53 AM

Default Homemade Tonerite

I have no idea if Tonerites are myth or fact but I didn't want to spend $100 to find out so I decided to make my own. Spend $10 on a aquarium air pump (it's designed to run dry) and tied it with some yarn. It's not secure enough to put on a stand so I'll have to keep the guitar flat (in a safe place) while it's running. Probably just run it while I'm awake and turn it off at night.

Seems to vibrate pretty good so we'll see what happens in a couple of weeks. I figure the worst that can happen is I wasted $10 and maybe wore out some strings. Using it on my new Martin OMC-16e Ovangkol top.

tonerite.jpg
Old 08-31-2019, 11:59 AM

Nice experiment, let us know how it works out. I too have contemplated about getting a tonerite but so far have resisted. Also, that's the first I heard of Ovangkol being used as a guitar top. Maybe I need to get out more.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

I put a Bose wireless speaker next to the bridge. It “felt” like the guitar opened up a bit, but who knows...
Old 08-31-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Liv View Post
I put a Bose wireless speaker next to the bridge. It “felt” like the guitar opened up a bit, but who knows...
How long? Tonerite recommends 144 hours. that's what I'm shooting for.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:26 PM

Good idea.

Thing is, even results from the real TR reported here are not unanimous.
So if yours has no effect keep that in mind.
I'm not poopooing TR.
I'm one of the owners who have reported good results.

If your pump turns out to have no effect perhaps try again with some kind of home-made rubber thing that's glued to the bottom of the pump and fits snugly gripping all 6 strings.
That's what the TR has.
I assume the rubber would do a better job of transferring vibrations from the pump to the guitar than the curved hard plastic bottom of that pump - which is not going to touch more than 2 or 3 strings.
(I have the same pump, but use it for my aquarium.)

It's possible the vibrating part IS similar to a $10 aquarium pump, but maybe the custom made rubber part is key to the results.

TK1.jpg

TK2.jpg

TK3.jpg

Last edited by Tico; 08-31-2019 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
Good idea.

Thing is, even results from the real TR reported here are not unanimous.
So if yours has no effect keep that in mind.
I'm not poopooing TR.
I'm one of the owners who have reported good results.

If your pump turns out to have no effect perhaps try again with some kind of home-made rubber thing that's glued to the bottom of the pump and fits snugly gripping all 6 strings.
That's what the TR has.
I assume the rubber would do a better job of transferring vibrations from the pump to the guitar than the curved hard plastic bottom of that pump - which is not going to touch more than 2 or 3 strings.
(I have the same pump, but use it for my aquarium.)

Attachment 26600

Attachment 26599

Attachment 26598
Great Idea. I will look into that.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
Great Idea. I will look into that.
If it works you owe me $150.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:33 PM

just put a sanding block underneath the pump and I can feel more vibrations. And that will now touch all the strings. Your check is in the mail.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
just put a sanding block underneath the pump and I can feel more vibrations. And that will now touch all the strings. Your check is in the mail.
Here is my modification.

tonerite2.jpg
Old 08-31-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Clever.
I couldn't think of anything of rubber around the house with similar quality, but those sanding blocks sound perfect.

I love these kind of challenging projects.

I'd try cutting a square of that rubber wide enough to just covers the strings, then cut 6 grooves in it for the strings.

FWIW the length of TR's rubber hugging the strings is 1.4".

For max vibration transfer I'd also cut a curve in the rubber that matches the bottom of the pump.
Then I'd glue it to the pump.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:56 PM

When using the Tonerite or this new fangled "Pumprite" does the guitar make any sound?

Just curious,
PJ
Old 08-31-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Here is my modification.

Attachment 26601
Opps, my last post went up before I saw your latest pic.

I was thinking of the other kind of rubber sanding block of much harder rubber.
See pic below.
The soft foam one you're using seems like it would absorb much of the vibration you want to transfer to the strings.

0001.jpg
Old 08-31-2019, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

I recently purchased a tonerite and yes it does make sound.

I put my sound analyzer on it and it was reading 60db at the soundhole on the max setting.

What was interesting is there are multiple frequency peaks as well. The primary was at 60 and 120hz but then a secondary set focused around 1khz. The first guitar i used it on (a Breedlove Journey Sitka / Brazilian) really responded well to it.

The other interesting bit, which I believe is why they recommend uninterrupted time, is that the resonance seems to build as the device stays on. The amount of vibrations I can feel in the neck and back and peghead has been increasing as the treatment goes on.

With the Journey I can also feel more vibrations throughout the instrument while playing vs before treatment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post
When using the Tonerite or this new fangled "Pumprite" does the guitar make any sound?

Just curious,
PJ
Old 08-31-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
Opps, my last post went up before I saw your latest pic.

I was thinking of the other kind of rubber sanding block of much harder rubber.
See pic below.
The soft foam one you're using seems like it would absorb much of the vibration you want to transfer to the strings.

Attachment 26602
I'm feeling a good bit of vibration with the foam block but I may look into the rubber one and see if it will improve it. Hopefully the way I have it now just means I have to leave it on longer. I wonder it it's really necesarry to have grooves on the strings. I would think it will vibrate the wood either way.
Old 08-31-2019, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Paul, I'll be curious to read about your results and maybe you'll unintentionally design an improved version, ha! BTW, my used TR was $55 inc. shipping, which I spent for the same reason (to see if it was truth or hype). I've had good success, esp. on my Adi tops, so I've kept it around and rotate it on my different guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion