The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 01-28-2022, 04:46 PM

Default Sierra Ferrell

Sierra Ferrell. Is this girl good or what. "Long time coming" check her out. The back up Musicians on her debut album are outstanding.

Last edited by baw3; 01-28-2022 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-28-2022, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

Yep, nice to hear a young woman building on the music of decades past.
Old 01-28-2022, 04:58 PM
Musical minimalist

I put a thread up about her back in the fall when I stumbled upon her - this short show was pretty cool....

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=627667

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl5mdG_IvGE&t=1s

Last edited by Kerbie; 03-09-2022 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Embedded YT link
Old 01-31-2022, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Love Sierra, and yes, the album is fantastic. Going to see her live next month 👍
Old 01-31-2022, 06:32 PM

I saw her supporting Pokey LaFarge in Adelaide, a couple of years ago now. I'd never heard of her at the time - it was just her and a guitar, no band (I think she was playing a Bacon and Day, from memory. Or similar) Pretty impressed. Needless to say it send me down a pretty deep youtube rabbit hole.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 01-31-2022, 09:21 PM

I think she's a great singer, good guitar player, and very good songwriter. I agree that Long Time Coming is a great album. I've been listening to it a lot lately. If omicron looks like it's going to fade out fast in February, I'll go see her in March. Fingers are crossed.
Old 02-02-2022, 06:17 PM

Old 02-10-2022, 09:24 AM

This truly gave me a s hiver when they went back to the slower tempo at the end.

D.H.

Last edited by Dave Hicks; 02-10-2022 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-10-2022, 10:45 AM

Thanks for posting that one. That was excellent. What a voice.
Old 03-01-2022, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Caught Sierra live on Sunday. Show was awesome—her voice was spot-on—she packs so much punch! Her band is top-notch, and the time they’ve spent together really showed in their tightness! I believe she did everything from her latest album, as well as some songs from an upcoming album, and some older stuff too. Unexpectedly she did a solo tune with an Ear Trumpet labs large condenser mic, and then picked up her fiddle and started playing. The band then joined her and gathered around the mic and did a mini set “bluegrass” style! After returning to the main stage setup she brought out the opener Nick Shoulders (that’s a body part) for a duet of Hank’s “I Can’t Help It”. Speaking of Nick Shoulders (that’s a body part), he was the perfect opening act. His Slim Whitman falsetto yodel (on almost every song) and artistic whistling works well with his Mullet wearing, hillbilly Arkansas “scthick”—very entertaining “quirky” songs. He had an upright bass player with him, who also provided perfect harmonies—check him out! Snapped a few photos—not the greatest with the zoom on my iPhone and stage lighting—but it’s what I got (neglected getting pics of Nick).

Last edited by Stringmaster; 03-01-2022 at 12:52 PM.
Old 03-05-2022, 08:44 PM

Count me in as a big fan. Love her guitar lines between verses....nice and effective.
Old 03-05-2022, 08:57 PM

Big fan! Great performer.
Old 03-08-2022, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

One of my favorite artists, and here's my favorite video of hers. 'Rosemary'

Old 03-09-2022, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringmaster View Post
Caught Sierra live on Sunday. Show was awesome—her voice was spot-on—she packs so much punch! Her band is top-notch, and the time they’ve spent together really showed in their tightness! I believe she did everything from her latest album, as well as some songs from an upcoming album, and some older stuff too. Unexpectedly she did a solo tune with an Ear Trumpet labs large condenser mic, and then picked up her fiddle and started playing. The band then joined her and gathered around the mic and did a mini set “bluegrass” style! After returning to the main stage setup she brought out the opener Nick Shoulders (that’s a body part) for a duet of Hank’s “I Can’t Help It”. Speaking of Nick Shoulders (that’s a body part), he was the perfect opening act. His Slim Whitman falsetto yodel (on almost every song) and artistic whistling works well with his Mullet wearing, hillbilly Arkansas “scthick”—very entertaining “quirky” songs. He had an upright bass player with him, who also provided perfect harmonies—check him out! Snapped a few photos—not the greatest with the zoom on my iPhone and stage lighting—but it’s what I got (neglected getting pics of Nick).

Some video of the aforementioned duet from the show I attended—
https://youtu.be/9YhQvH_ytlA
Old 03-10-2022, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hicks View Post

This truly gave me a s hiver when they went back to the slower tempo at the end.

D.H.
Same, I have always like that song but her treatment of it just blows me away. It’s so moving and made me hear the song in a different way. Frankly it chokes me up a little. It has it all, catchy, rhythmically fun, moving and haunting all in one. Lovely playing all around.

Her whole album “Long Time Coming” is just fantastic. Going to see her in Seattle on Friday night and I can’t wait.

Last edited by Newbflat; 03-10-2022 at 11:31 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN