The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-20-2022, 10:39 PM

Default N.P.D. EAE Stompmix 4 content

New pedal day. OK. A couple of weeks ago I posted a thread asking questions about the Stompmix 4. So I ordered it and finally installed it on my board. My set-up formally was the guitar > Tonedexter > QSC CP-8 powered speaker. I used a Source Audio EQ-2 and a TC Electronics HOF-2 reverb pedal in the effects loop of the Tonedexter. I really liked the sound I got out of my five different guitars with different pickups. The EQ-2 is great. I have different EQ settings programmed for all my different guitars that I can switch to very easy. The Tonedexter makes everything sound much more natural. Yet I was still missing something. I have had a DPA 4099g clip-on condenser mic for a long time, but I had no way to use it with my portable set-up. I purchased the Stompmix because it provides 48 volts phantom power for condenser microphones, it has reverb and delay, it has a small footprint, it is powered with 9 volts. Everything that I needed. Pedal board friendly. I wanted to be able to use the DPA mic with the "Tonedexterized" pickup signal and blend the two signals together. So I have changed my pedal board setup. I now can run a guitar pickup into the Tonedexter into the Stompmix. Use the DPA 4099G into the Stompmix. I took the HOF-2 and the EQ-2 off the board. I put my old Tech 21 Q-Strip EQ pedal back on the board. I am going out of the Stompmix 4 into the Q-Strip. Out of the Q-Strip into the CP-8 speaker. I have a dedicated 12 volt rechargeable battery pack just for the Tonedexter. I have a Mission Engineering 529i 9 volt rechargeable battery pack that powers the Stompmix and the Q-Strip. This setup is giving me a studio quality acoustic guitar sound amplified. It is truly stellar. I have to say that I am thoroughly impressed with the EAE Stompmix 4. The effects are minimal, but exactly designed to be just what an acoustic guitar needs. The reverb and delay are not over the top, but very subtle and "organic" sounding. I really like the built-in reverb more than the Hall Of Fame, for what I do. The EQ is decent, but not as powerful as a dedicated EQ pedal, thus the Q-Strip. I can even add a vocal mic to the Stompmix if I choose to. I can't say how this setup would fare in a real live gig situation, because I don't gig out. I am sure I will use it in my church soon. I can say that this dual-source set-up definitely sounds better than either the DPA mic or the Tonedexterized signal by themselves. Now I am thinking about making myself a break out cable that has a 1/4" TS jack and an XLR jack on each end just to simply my dual source rig a little. Oh this rabbit hole never ends.
Old 02-21-2022, 01:15 AM

That looks amazing, can you please post demo (soundcloud) and pictures?
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 02-21-2022, 04:48 AM

I am sorry Cuki, but I don't know how to post pics on AGF. I will try to record something next weekend and see if I can post it on sound cloud. I've never tried it. I listen to other AGFer clips sometime, but it may be a learning curve thing for me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification