The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-11-2022, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

Default No need to humidify

I just read a post about a 3 week old Collings developing a crack. I bought my first CF guitar 5 years ago, and I certainly don't miss all those issues. While I still believe you can't beat the sound of a nice wood guitar I really love my little Rainsong Smokey. I'm also waiting (somewhat impatiently) on my X20 to arrive.

In my world, humidity issues were by far the worst part of acoustic guitars. The past 5 years have been wonderful, and I'm anxious to finally hear and play an X20 in real life.

I totally understand that for many people it's not that big of a deal, but for me it was. Just my random thoughts...
Old 01-11-2022, 08:32 PM

Your in a good company. I don't think any will disagree with the superior sound of a fine wooden acoustic but this niche market is growing quickly and for good reason.
Old 01-11-2022, 08:35 PM

Humidity. Lol! Haven't thought about humidity in 20 years. Forgot that was even ever an issue.

That said, been dreaming about getting a 10k wood again. Then I roll over, pick up my carbon guitar, and forget I ever had the dream.
Old 01-12-2022, 09:49 AM

Considering our RH outside varies from 20% to 100%, and our indoor RH is ridiculous at 65-67% in summer, to 35% in winter - I'm thrilled to but need to worry about it!
Old 01-12-2022, 10:18 AM

well, there's also an ounce of prevention is worth a pound.

I have 6 acoustics, they are all taken care of properly year round.

I don't have issues with low RH..

the issues start with neglect.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 01-12-2022, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
well, there's also an ounce of prevention is worth a pound.

I have 6 acoustics, they are all taken care of properly year round.

I don't have issues with low RH..

the issues start with neglect.
Yep I've tried to analyze why I hate it so bad. I enjoy pretty much everything else about acoustics...carbon fiber seems to be the answer for me.
I was successful in keeping my previous guitars properly cared for I just didn't enjoy it.
Old 01-12-2022, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodg View Post
Yep I've tried to analyze why I hate it so bad. I enjoy pretty much everything else about acoustics...carbon fiber seems to be the answer for me.
I was successful in keeping my previous guitars properly cared for I just didn't enjoy it.
Rod If it's one more worry off your head, then you made the right move. I have two brother inlaws that play. Despite me suggesting they take better care of their 300 series Taylors it falls on deaf ears. I pickup their guitars and they are just kind of all over the place based on the time of year

They keep em on stands, sometimes, right next to their heat registers. (Yikes) They need CF guitars like no body's business. but ignorance is bliss. they are confused why my guitars sound and play so much better.. I gave up trying to explain

The CF guitars these days are stellar and impervious to climate. Not a bad thing at all really. If I didn't already have a closet full, I'd probably run down an Emerald X something or other.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 01-12-2022, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

My finding out about the need to humidify wasn't intentional neglect - ignorance, not apathy. I got my first nice acoustic back in the 70s, a Gibson. Moved to a significantly drier climate, and two years later - a crack in the top of that guitar! I took it to a guitar shop and they told me, "Not a big deal to fix - we see this all the time," and educated me on the need to humidify. Apparently, I wasn't the only one who found out the hard way.

I bought that first carbon fiber guitar, a RainSong Shorty, when we were going between living on our boat to spending time in the desert southwest where our daughter lives. I've said it before: bought carbon fiber for the climate impervious qualities, stayed with carbon fiber for the great sound.

Rodg, you are going to really enjoy that X20 - plays and sounds great, with incredible ergonomics. Looking forward to you NGD post when it arrives.
Old 01-12-2022, 03:56 PM

The Rainsong, and the other Rainsong are out on stands in my music room.

The wooden guitars are all in cases and got watered yesterday.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 01-12-2022, 11:54 PM
Charter Member

Where I live in CA (Sonoma County about a 20 minute drive from the coast), the humidity indoors rarely ever gets below 40%, and low humidity isn’t a concern. What’s more common is 55-65% RH, and at the upper range my Martin loses some clarity. That’s when I really appreciate my carbon fiber guitars.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 01-15-2022, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

A few short years ago I had three Emeralds on my walls and I was loving not having to 'worry' about RH. I put worry in quotation marks because I've never been one to overthink/worry about humidity. I'd use sound hole humidiers and small room humidifiers with no issues, ever.

A year later the three Emeralds were replaced by three Cole Clarks. Now I have on Cole Clark left, one RainSong and one Froggy Bottom. All three are on the walls and the humidifier is running full bore during a single digit day. I'm happy with all of my guitars and they fill their roles.

But as we have just begun retirement, we've gone crazy booking gigs for 2022 an for me it's all about playing live shows right now and I'm seriously considering another custom CF order to fill a void. To get what I want would mean saying goodbye to the Froggy Bottom which I do love.

Time will tell.
Old 01-15-2022, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
To get what I want would mean saying goodbye to the Froggy Bottom which I do love.

Time will tell.
Whoa....better sleep on that one a bit ! It always works out though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber