The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-19-2021, 12:07 PM

That's a bummer to hear about your experience. As you can see by my signature I own a few Taylors, which I love and stand proudly alongside any of my other guitars. That said, I am definitely not in their target demographic for their GS/GT/mini body sizes. As someone said, it's a matter of the laws of physics: the size of the enclosure and the surface area of the top.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 01-19-2021, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

To OP,
Sorry youre not happier, but I must respectfully point out that I had a different assessment with my GTe-urban ash. While its not on par with its full size counterparts, I think its a clean break from the typical mini-sized bodies’ tone.

I compare it to my Dred-jr. Not full tone, but pretty darn close, and a happy trade for the comfort of the smaller size. It took me a little longer than usual, but I think im finally bonding with this GT. If it falters anywhere, Id say its the electronics. I MUCH prefer its acoustic voice to its amplified one. ToneDexter takes care of that nicely, though.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 01-19-2021, 12:28 PM

Default Taylor GT very short review

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphH View Post
It may have been a really good one. We might just like completely different things. It's all subjective. You might play my hummingbird and say it's the worst sounding guitar you've ever heard. If everyone liked the same thing there'd only be one guitar company making one model of guitar.

It's no bass boomer machine, but (that one) was surprisingly powerful for a factory flat top of the size. I think it does well for its constraints, namely a short scale (low tension, low input energy), smaller body size. If you put bluegrass guage strings on one it would probably lend a bit more power to the lower register. But, still not a dreadnought by any means. Those who buy it, probably buy it for very good playing comfort with 'enough' tone, vs strictly the tone.
Old 01-19-2021, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
To OP,
Sorry youre not happier, but I must respectfully point out that I had a different assessment with my GTe-urban ash. While its not on par with its full size counterparts, I think its a clean break from the typical mini-sized bodies’ tone.

I compare it to my Dred-jr. Not full tone, but pretty darn close, and a happy trade for the comfort of the smaller size. It took me a little longer than usual, but I think im finally bonding with this GT. If it falters anywhere, Id say its the electronics. I MUCH prefer its acoustic voice to its amplified one. ToneDexter takes care of that nicely, though.
That's cool. Yes it's probably comparable to the Dred-jr or something similar.

Like i said at the bottom on P1, I think I was just expecting far too much from it after all the fan-fair and fuss. I was expecting something that sounded like an OM-sized guitar after all the (and I quote) "combining the inviting feel of a compact instrument with the rich voice of a full-size, all-solid-wood guitar". My fault I guess. You probably went into it with much more realistic expectations.
Old 01-19-2021, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's cool. Yes it's probably comparable to the Dred-jr or something similar.

Like i said at the bottom on P1, I think I was just expecting far too much from it after all the fan-fair and fuss. I was expecting something that sounded like an OM-sized guitar after all the (and I quote) "combining the inviting feel of a compact instrument with the rich voice of a full-size, all-solid-wood guitar". My fault I guess. You probably went into it with much more realistic expectations.
With all due respect...the Martin DJr. sounds much more like a full-size guitar than the GT does. It has the same scooped tone that is classic "Martin" in a smaller package. Does it sound like a D-18 Dreadnought...no, but it's so close. Lighter build, different bracing...
Old 01-19-2021, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarkpicker View Post
With all due respect...the Martin DJr. sounds much more like a full-size guitar than the GT does. It has the same scooped tone that is classic "Martin" in a smaller package. Does it sound like a D-18 Dreadnought...no, but it's so close. Lighter build, different bracing...
That's the one I ended up with for those same reasons. I had a Koa and a spruce GS Mini that I wanted to love, but the narrower nut and 'smaller' sound caused me to gravitate toward the D Jr. I honestly never really play it though because it turns out I don't really travel with my guitar much. When I fly I don't tend to bring a guitar with me as I'm towing 3 kids. When I drive for vacation I just bring a full sized guitar and I really doesn't take up THAT much more space.

I did pick up a Koa GS Mini at Sam Ash a few weeks ago that sounded quite good when played fingerstyle though.
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |
Old 01-19-2021, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarkpicker View Post
Im a huge fan of Martin’s Jr series, but acknowledge that Im more forgiving and understanding of a $600 guitar than a $1600 one. I think the GT may fall short of expectations that a full-sized price tag carry.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 01-19-2021, 08:38 PM

Quote:
I like Taylor as a brand. I like that they're still innovating and using as many sustainable materials as possible. I think I got more or less the first one available in Europe. The biggest online shop in the UK got just one in and I got it. No-one else seems to have it in stock.

I desperately, desperately wanted to like this GT; I have a GS mini koa that I love, but find it bit cramped sometimes, esp capo'd, and a bit small sounding sometimes, and I have a Gibson hummingbird that I love but that can feel a bit big to play on the sofa.

I was hoping that Taylors new 'goldilocks' guitar would be perfect for me -- small and comfortable but sound more like the hummingbird than the GS mini. Not that I expected it to sound as 'big' as a hummingbird, but if it could split the difference between it and GS mini and it I'd be happy...

But sadly no. It sounds very small and boxy, bright, and with no real warmth to the resonance. Even my GS mini sounds warmer (possibly because it's a well played-in 5-year old koa one) - though not really rich and resonant like a full-sized guitar.

I remember trying a Sitka GS mini in the shop and strongly disliking it (sorry sikta GS mini fans). Well, this sounds very similar to me. Maybe a little less mid-focused, but not much 'bigger' or 'better'.

I think Taylor have been drinking far too much of their own marketing Koolaid if they really believe this sounds significant 'bigger' than a GS mini; it just doesn't. Extremely nice to play though; very comfortable. Maybe the most comfortable to play acoustic I've ever held, but that's not enough without the tone.

Like I said, I really, really wanted to like this guitar, but it's going straight back Maybe the koa version sounds way better, but at $4700, that's more koolaid than I'd be willing to drink.

EDIT: for those defending the GT. I don't doubt you like it. It is not a bad guitar. It's a great guitar for what it is. I just had unrealistic expectations from it after all the fan-fair and fuss around C-Class bracing. I was expecting something that sounded like an OM-sized guitar after all the "combining the inviting feel of a compact instrument with the rich voice of a full-size, all-solid-wood guitar". My fault I guess. You probably went into it with much more realistic expectations. If you buy expecting and wanting it to sound a little bigger than a GS mini with a classier build then I'm sure you'll love it - and for good reason. I still love my GS mini and that sounds exactly like a GS mini(!). It's not that the GS mini or the GT are bad sounding. It's just they don't sound like a full-sized guitar and if you buy one specifically because Taylor says it sounds like a full-sized guitar... then disappointment (and a refund) may follow.
This is a "very short" review?
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 01-19-2021, 10:06 PM

I love both Martin and Taylor. I have Dread Jr's and GS Minis in all the "good flavors".

I have not been that impressed with the GT. And one must consider that you can have two Dread Jr's for the price of one GT. Then there's that.
Old 01-20-2021, 03:20 PM

Quote:
The marketing hype around the GT has had quite a bashing on here. I was really looking forward to coming on here and telling all the nay-sayers they were wrong... but it just didn't pan out that way.

Same. I wanted to like it, as it was all I ever wanted but it was not great at all all. Especially for the money.
Old 01-20-2021, 05:37 PM

There's no replacement for displacement!
This time honored FAST car mantra certainly applies to guitars. A small bodied guitar CANNOT sound like a full size instrument...it just can't and I don't care who made it. Certainly luthier built "parlors" can be musical and lovely (I have one!), but it's a fool's errand to expect that from a big company.
The best you can hope for is that it doesn't sound like a "box with strings".
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 01-21-2021, 04:51 AM

Try a Martin dreadnought junior.
Old 01-21-2021, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy bookout View Post
There's no replacement for displacement!
This time honored FAST car mantra certainly applies to guitars. A small bodied guitar CANNOT sound like a full size instrument...it just can't and I don't care who made it. Certainly luthier built "parlors" can be musical and lovely (I have one!), but it's a fool's errand to expect that from a big company.
The best you can hope for is that it doesn't sound like a "box with strings".
I hate it when conventional wisdom turns out to be right
Old 01-21-2021, 03:17 PM

Review is spot on. And it's not just a "displacement" issue (but I do like the analogy!). Just like the OP, I find that the GT does not compare well with the GS mini, which is considerably small in volume.
Old 03-05-2022, 09:35 AM

Quote:
I like Taylor as a brand. I like that they're still innovating and using as many sustainable materials as possible. I think I got more or less the first one available in Europe. The biggest online shop in the UK got just one in and I got it. No-one else seems to have it in stock.

I desperately, desperately wanted to like this GT; I have a GS mini koa that I love, but find it bit cramped sometimes, esp capo'd, and a bit small sounding sometimes, and I have a Gibson hummingbird that I love but that can feel a bit big to play on the sofa.

I was hoping that Taylors new 'goldilocks' guitar would be perfect for me -- small and comfortable but sound more like the hummingbird than the GS mini. Not that I expected it to sound as 'big' as a hummingbird, but if it could split the difference between it and GS mini and it I'd be happy...

But sadly no. It sounds very small and boxy, bright, and with no real warmth to the resonance. Even my GS mini sounds warmer (possibly because it's a well played-in 5-year old koa one) - though not really rich and resonant like a full-sized guitar.

I remember trying a Sitka GS mini in the shop and strongly disliking it (sorry sikta GS mini fans). Well, this sounds very similar to me. Maybe a little less mid-focused, but not much 'bigger' or 'better'.

I think Taylor have been drinking far too much of their own marketing Koolaid if they really believe this sounds significant 'bigger' than a GS mini; it just doesn't. Extremely nice to play though; very comfortable. Maybe the most comfortable to play acoustic I've ever held, but that's not enough without the tone.

Like I said, I really, really wanted to like this guitar, but it's going straight back Maybe the koa version sounds way better, but at $4700, that's more koolaid than I'd be willing to drink.

EDIT: for those defending the GT. I don't doubt you like it. It is not a bad guitar. It's a great guitar for what it is. I just had unrealistic expectations from it after all the fan-fair and fuss around C-Class bracing. I was expecting something that sounded like an OM-sized guitar after all the "combining the inviting feel of a compact instrument with the rich voice of a full-size, all-solid-wood guitar". My fault I guess. You probably went into it with much more realistic expectations. If you buy expecting and wanting it to sound a little bigger than a GS mini with a classier build then I'm sure you'll love it - and for good reason. I still love my GS mini and that sounds exactly like a GS mini(!). It's not that the GS mini or the GT are bad sounding. It's just they don't sound like a full-sized guitar and if you buy one specifically because Taylor says it sounds like a full-sized guitar... then disappointment (and a refund) may follow.

Thanks for the thorough review. I’ve been going back and forth and between the GT Urban Ash and Academy 12e. Everything always leads me back to the A 12e to fill the soon to be vacant DJr-10e Sapele.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion