The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-19-2022, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringmaster View Post
I’ve found that in practice I’ve used only a couple of different presets on my 50m that are nearly the same. One is dialed in for an “average” setting for most gigs, and one for a bit softer and quieter presentation. I have only had to adjust the volume slightly on the gig, depending on how many folks are in the crowd, etc. I have pre-programmed a 3rd setting for an upcoming open mic that I’m hosting, which mimics my main preset, but expands it to two mics and two guitars. Honestly, I could probably get by with just one preset overall, but my needs are simple—just a guitar and mic, with minimal effects.
Quote surprised there are only 5. While I'm not a fan of hundreds of presets (as I tend to just keep making new ones and lose track of older ones) I would think a unit of this power would have at least ten. But I like your thought process of just having a few generic or average settings based on most venues. I could see having an outdoor, indoor small, and indoor large which would cover most of our needs anyway.
Old 05-19-2022, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Quote surprised there are only 5. While I'm not a fan of hundreds of presets (as I tend to just keep making new ones and lose track of older ones) I would think a unit of this power would have at least ten. But I like your thought process of just having a few generic or average settings based on most venues. I could see having an outdoor, indoor small, and indoor large which would cover most of our needs anyway.

That or five built in, and a larger set that you can send in from the app. That is probably more doable.

On the other hand, it isn’t like guitar DSP setups. Preset mixes are just starting points. For example, I have yet to make use of the multiple mix presets on my D6-58. I really only set it up one way.
Old 12-17-2022, 10:26 PM

All of a sudden, I’m having trouble with my Bluetooth. I play music and backing tracks from my iPhone to the EV30M and the last couple gigs it’s been cutting out every few seconds. Never had trouble before and now it’s all the time. Anyone got any ideas? It’s not my iPhone because the Bluetooth connection works great from my iPhone to everything else. I suspect my other wireless devices (guitar, mic, IEMs) are interfering with the bluetooth signal.

Last edited by JackB1; 12-19-2022 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-19-2022, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
All of a sudden, I’m having trouble with my Bluetooth. I play music and backing tracks from my iPhone to the EV30M and the last couple gigs it’s been cutting out every few seconds. Never had trouble before and now it’s all the time. Anyone got any ideas? It’s not my iPhone because the Bluetooth connection works great from my iPhone to everything else.
I've yet to stream music, I just use the (Android) app to control the mixer--is the streaming option just done by standard bluetooth pairing?

I ask because I hadn't used my app for a month or two (no gigs) and the Quicksmart app couldn't find my unit. I uninstalled/reinstalled the app and it found it and connected. But I guess that wouldn't be an option if you're "just" pairing bluetooth.

(and if this is a option for you, no doubt you already tried)
Old 12-19-2022, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
I've yet to stream music, I just use the (Android) app to control the mixer--is the streaming option just done by standard bluetooth pairing?

I ask because I hadn't used my app for a month or two (no gigs) and the Quicksmart app couldn't find my unit. I uninstalled/reinstalled the app and it found it and connected. But I guess that wouldn't be an option if you're "just" pairing bluetooth.

(and if this is a option for you, no doubt you already tried)
With the EV30M, there is an option to pair as "control" (for the app/mixer) or as "play" with would be to play tracks or music with another device. This is so if you like you can have one device for the mixer/app and a another different device for playing music or tracks.
Old 07-11-2023, 10:14 AM

Default Just ordered a 30m

Hope it is OK to revive this thread, but I just ordered a EV 30m from Proaudiostar yesterday. I called to inquire about a used one for $1100 they have listed and the sales associate Peter told me they had a sale happening to end of week on the new 30m for $1200, $300 off the retail price, free shipping. Then after a few more questions about the 30m he offered me another $50 off the new pricing, so I called back a few hours later and bought it. Email today says fed ex is delivering it on Saturday.

After a winery gig last Friday with a 30 minute set up and tear down time of (2) QSC K 10.2 mains and one K8.2 into my Mackie mixer and all the cables, speaker stands and power cords in 100 degree Moab heat, I decided to see what I might find with a nice lightweight easy to set up array system. I have not heard the 30m, just read a ton of reviews and you tube videos. The Bose systems I have used on before stage, but also know they are expensive and have some limitations. So hoping for the best on this EV 30m. There was no one bad review on Sweetwater, everyone raves about the 30M.

I am listing my (2) QSC 10.2 with both the tote and the rain covers and some tripods and cables on local craigslist to help fund the ev 30m. But I am keeping my pair of K8.2, my yamaha and mackie mixers and an older QSC Ksub to be able to expand this system if I end up in a larger venue or with some other musicians. But for me playing a few guitars and vocal as a solo performer, this made sense to make gigging more fun for an aging gal with arthritis. Just the various cords I need filled a milk crate!

No more worry about forgetting a cord or having the right back up cords. Looking forward to a quick easy set up the using their app to get my sound tweaked. Probably add a K8.2 as a monitor through the aux out to get started and put the 30m to my left and few ft forward to minimize stage DB levels and feedback. It is a shame there is not way to notch out feedback or parametric EQ options, but guessing that could be solved with firmware updates if EV really wanted to improve the 30m, not holding my breath. Probably use the baggs para EQ pre amps to set up my guitar(s) sound before I plug it into the 30m xlr inputs so I can notch out feedback, I play in drop D and altered tunings as well as standard tuning and know the low drop D in particular can really create a loud low humm feedback loop. Not sure on vocal effects and the complaints/comments on the mediocre reverb, maybe I will try some kind of pedal for a better vocal reverb, but my concern is those "boxes" sacrifice some other issues with noise or other signal problems?? I am picky about my vocals and don't want to add artifacts or distracting effects.

If anyone wants to get one or expand their mono 30m system to stereo, this might be a good time to talk with Peter at proaudiostar. No affiliation, but thought others here might be interested. I have ordered a few things from them before, mostly used guitars or accessories and have always had great experience before. This thread has been very educational on how to adapt to the EV app and I really appreciate all the great help here!
Old 07-11-2023, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmars View Post
Hope it is OK to revive this thread, but I just ordered a EV 30m from Proaudiostar yesterday. I called to inquire about a used one for $1100 they have listed and the sales associate Peter told me they had a sale happening to end of week on the new 30m for $1200, $300 off the retail price, free shipping. Then after a few more questions about the 30m he offered me another $50 off the new pricing, so I called back a few hours later and bought it. Email today says fed ex is delivering it on Saturday....
Congrats and as a 30m user would love to hear how it turns out for you. I love mine. It's so tempting to snag another one at that price, it's so much PA for that money!

Reverb comes down to individual taste and I'm happy enough with mine, it just depends. Interestingly, the smaller battery powered Everse 8 has Parametric as well as Graphic Equalization choices. I don't know if the Parametic is as tunable as you're used to, but perhaps at some point they can add that to the 30m/50m firmware.

Never hurts to have a fill so hanging on to some of your PA inventory makes sense. I was going to use my Everse to fill an odd space but ended up using it as a monitor which worked out great. Setup and teardown are so easy it's ridiculous. Check in if you need help with the app, it's crazy capable but not well documented.

Bose is great too, horses for courses.
Old 07-11-2023, 11:48 AM

Thanks for the help! Excited to see how it goes? I am wondering if some of the smaller venues I end up at with the stage that rises up 8" or so from the floor might have space problems with the 7' high tower array, not every old building has 8 ft ceilings??? I wish they would have made it so you could eliminate one section to lower the tower a 18". The $100 to buy the short tower option seems pricey and too short, imho

But like most things in life, nothing is perfect and how you really want things to be, just got to adapt, deal and be grateful! Maybe my next song!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
Congrats and as a 30m user would love to hear how it turns out for you. I love mine. It's so tempting to snag another one at that price, it's so much PA for that money!

Reverb comes down to individual taste and I'm happy enough with mine, it just depends. Interestingly, the smaller battery powered Everse 8 has Parametric as well as Graphic Equalization choices. I don't know if the Parametic is as tunable as you're used to, but perhaps at some point they can add that to the 30m/50m firmware.

Never hurts to have a fill so hanging on to some of your PA inventory makes sense. I was going to use my Everse to fill an odd space but ended up using it as a monitor which worked out great. Setup and teardown are so easy it's ridiculous. Check in if you need help with the app, it's crazy capable but not well documented.

Bose is great too, horses for courses.
Old 07-11-2023, 02:29 PM

I was in a similar boat, sold off my K-speakers, still have an A&H small mixer tucked in a drawer, bought the 30M. I did buy the short stack for the 30M but haven't used it on a gig (useful at home for testing/tweaking).

I don't miss my separates, but I've ended up going even more portable with a Henriksen Bud 10. I only need two channels (instrument and vocal mic) and for smaller spaces the Bud works great. If I need to fill a much larger space then I'd bring the 30M but I've been doing an outdoor wine garden area with just the Bud 10.

If you need 3 or more channels, then the EV wins. Nice to have options either way.

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 07-11-2023, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I wish they would have made it so you could eliminate one section to lower the tower a 18". The $100 to buy the short tower option seems pricey and too short, imho!
Oh yes, I think all users agree! And there's no technical reason it couldn't have been done. For example, that's how the three-piece stick on my old Bose L1 Compact works.

I gave in and bought the short stick just in case, but yikes all around. It's comical (excuse the mess). I do use it for home testing like nostatic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230711_160614~2.jpg (30.0 KB, 65 views)
Old 07-12-2023, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Hope it is OK to revive this thread, but I just ordered a EV 30m from Proaudiostar yesterday. I called to inquire about a used one for $1100 they have listed and the sales associate Peter told me they had a sale happening to end of week on the new 30m for $1200, $300 off the retail price, free shipping. ...
Funny, but just before seeing your post last night I'd received a response from my own query to ProAudioStar about the used 30M, saying to call them about a special deal. Then this morning I traveled 40 miles to take another look at the 30M and see how I felt about its weight as I'm used to the 27 lbs of a Fishman 330x. Well, I just got off the phone with ProAudio and shocked my spending-averse self by pulling the trigger on it.

The B-stock 330x (that Fishman replaced my malfunctioning SA220 with last year) had some issues and just got shipped off for repairs. If I like the 30M, when the 330x comes back I'll probably put it up for sale to help ease my conscience about spending what for me is an extravagance!
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley

Last edited by lpa53; 07-12-2023 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-12-2023, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpa53 View Post
Funny, but just before seeing your post last night I'd received a response from my own query to ProAudioStar about the used 30M, saying to call them about a special deal. Then this morning I traveled 40 miles to take another look at the 30M and see how I felt about its weight as I'm used to the 27 lbs of a Fishman 330x. Well, I just got off the phone with ProAudio and shocked my spending-averse self by pulling the trigger on it.

The B-stock 330x that Fishman replaced my malfunctioning SA220 with last year had some issues and just got shipped off for repairs. If I like the 30M, when the 330x comes back I'll probably put it up for sale to help ease my conscience about spending what for me is an extravagance!
You'll be shocked at just how great the EV30M sounds! Good call. Looking forward to your report!
Old 07-13-2023, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Anyone have a photo of the 30M system all packed up and ready to store or move?
Mule resonator
Takamine G335 12
Baby Taylor
Gretsch 5120T
Gibson ES335
Fender '52 AVRI
National ResoPhonic M1
Ibanez Roadstar II bass
Old 07-13-2023, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissoulaFlood View Post
Anyone have a photo of the 30M system all packed up and ready to store or move?
Here's a couple photos of my gear for the full-blown shows (we travel light!):

Old 07-13-2023, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Thanks, but I need a photo of just “the 30M system” packed up—no extra gear.
Thanks.
Mule resonator
Takamine G335 12
Baby Taylor
Gretsch 5120T
Gibson ES335
Fender '52 AVRI
National ResoPhonic M1
Ibanez Roadstar II bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification