The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-29-2014, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Ok, I worked on all four pages tonight, I should be able to get it recorded on Sunday, if not sooner. My next tune might be Darcy's Guitar by Pete Huttlinger unless I can find something shorter.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:20 PM

That's a good tune
Dean EABC5
Gretsch 9121
Lag TN100 Nylon
Recording King RO-10
Recording King RP-06

https://soundcloud.com/search?q=Smokerblacker
Old 09-30-2014, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke_ View Post
Thanks! Not sure what you mean?
You don't explain how you managed to break your leg?

Police Dog is going ok and I've managed to get the singing to go in time (ish). I'm dreading recording this though as I've never listened to myself and only ever sing in private.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftArm View Post
You don't explain how you managed to break your leg?

Police Dog is going ok and I've managed to get the singing to go in time (ish). I'm dreading recording this though as I've never listened to myself and only ever sing in private.
Well I was really fibbing about breaking my leg... Sometimes I get to stomping my foot to the music to replicate a bass drum. Pretty hard to get it loud enough most of the time... So I bought a porchboard, that thing is a leg saver!

For the first 10 years I played I always screwed up when it came time to record. I could play the part perfect, hit the record button then butcher it. A friend of mine suggested recording my practice sessions. It's important to "hear" yourself as others would to see how you really sound. My advice is to never dread playing it's supposed to be fun remember? Just relax.... Nobody's watching you
Dean EABC5
Gretsch 9121
Lag TN100 Nylon
Recording King RO-10
Recording King RP-06

https://soundcloud.com/search?q=Smokerblacker
Old 09-30-2014, 08:45 AM

Do we declare what we'd like to learn - then perform it / film it?

Sorry if they are dumb questions

(i'd like to try and learn 'Seven Days' by Sting - as it's always eluded me with the relative technicality of the chords).
Old 09-30-2014, 08:58 AM

I don't think there's a rule that you have to record anything but I have it as one of my objectives.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:48 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by All bar one View Post
Do we declare what we'd like to learn - then perform it / film it?

Sorry if they are dumb questions

(i'd like to try and learn 'Seven Days' by Sting - as it's always eluded me with the relative technicality of the chords).
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftArm View Post
I don't think there's a rule that you have to record anything but I have it as one of my objectives.
No rules, nothing required. Just have fun and post your progress when you can.

Day 2: Ouch. This one looks tough. I watched the first section again to get the tune in my head (which it is now thankfully) and then grabbed the guitar to try it out. Yikes.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

Ok, Shenendoah is coming along (I will make the proper apologies to Doug Young when I post it, lol). I was rehearsing it and video recording it using my phone. A few mistakes, but a lot of them are related to not memorizing it, sight reading it and can't get comfortable while scanning across two of those tv tray tables for 4 pages, lol. I'll work it out though and get it posted at least in this thread by Sunday. If it comes out decent I'll post it in show and tell as well.

I also started working on Darcy's Guitar. Neat little tune. Preliminarily I'm using my Seagull folk with this. I tuned it down a full step and using a capo on II. It helps with that one pinky stretch to the 7th fret (and holding the other notes properly). Also there are 3 different ways I have to fret that G note played on the first page, lol. So precision first, then pick up the speed. For some reason I don't think this will take as long as Shenendoah, principally because I'm back to playing almost everyday now for the first time in over two years. It feels good to be back.

My SoundCloud page

Old 10-01-2014, 08:30 AM
Guest 33123

Day 3: forced night off so no progress.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:59 AM
Guest 33123

Day 4: spent a good hour last night focusing on the first 4 bars. Was able to play them without a mistake multiple times so that's good news. It was easier than I thought once I had some time to concentrate on it. Onto the next 4!
Old 10-02-2014, 08:33 AM

Default New Song Challenge

I just learned "Georgia On My Mind". I've found that listening to the original versions really helps. In June I attended a master class with Tommy Emmanuel in Newberry, South Carolina and when I played "Bridge Over Troubled Water" with him, he said that we should always return to the original songs and listen to them over and over.

Here's my arrangement of "Georgia On My Mind"

https://soundcloud.com/david-l-white...gia-on-my-mind
Old 10-02-2014, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWhitehurst View Post
I just learned "Georgia On My Mind". I've found that listening to the original versions really helps. In June I attended a master class with Tommy Emmanuel in Newberry, South Carolina and when I played "Bridge Over Troubled Water" with him, he said that we should always return to the original songs and listen to them over and over.

Here's my arrangement of "Georgia On My Mind"

https://soundcloud.com/david-l-white...gia-on-my-mind
Loved it! Sounds great with nylon. I really liked your arrangement.

My SoundCloud page

Last edited by TBman; 10-02-2014 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

Been a good night so far, I had 5 of my guitars lined up and I've played them all. Shenandoah is coming along well and so is Darcy's Guitar. I'm watching the Packers tonight too, doesn't get any better than this!

My SoundCloud page

Old 10-03-2014, 09:09 AM
Guest 33123

Day 5: had a good 1/2 hour last night just focused on the new song. It went really well. I now have the first 7 bars down without errors. Feeling really good about this tune now. Moving on to connecting lick number 1 tonight.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:36 AM

I've started on Procul Harum's Whiter Shade of Pale, as arranged by Martin Tallstrom. 6 pages of transcription, I'm only on page one and not likely to have much time with it this weekend.

Martin has a few of his tabs posted for free on http://www.tallstrom.com/ under the link "free tabs". This is one of 'em.

Probably about 2-3 weeks to learn, I reckon. I'm kinda slow with it. Ulli Boegershausen's arrangement of "Wonderful Tonight took me over a month, and I'm still trying to smooth out a couple of sections.
Yamaha FSX-5
Yamaha LS-TA
Yamaha CG-TA
Epiphone EJ-200SCE
Breedlove Wildwood Organic Concert
Hohner Essential Roots SOSB
Epiphone Houndog Roundneck
Dobro Model 29
Taylor 214ce-N
Cordoba C9 Spruce
1972 Pablo De La Cruz Classical
? Eusebio Huipe Cedar/PE Flamenco
Godin Multiac Duet Ambiance
Cordoba Stage

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write