The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-16-2011, 05:43 PM

Default Best/cheapest way to play and record video/vocals/guitar live for youtube/facebook?

I'm learning guitar and I would like to be good enough at some point to play some George Strait and sing at the same time. What is the best way to record it live WITH video so I can post it on youtube/facebook?

Is there a way you can download a specific song with guitar/vocals removed so you can lay down your own guitar/vocals live while the drums, keyboard and other instrumentals are playing in the background? I've seen this done with people doing drum covers before. The vocals/guitar/bass are all there but the drums are absent from the track so the drummer can try and fill them in.

I know I need a good webcam but do I need a mic as well or do the really good webcams have sufficient mics built in?

This guy is doing exactly what I would like to accomplish one day. It would be nice if he could have the other instrumentals playing too though... any insights would be greatly appreciated!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXZW-...eature=related
Old 12-16-2011, 09:32 PM

[QUOTE=xstalkrx;2865119]

I know I need a good webcam but do I need a mic as well or do the really good webcams have sufficient mics built in?

QUOTE]

Not much from me, but I just hope it will trigger someone that knows much better than me to chime in and help you out

I don't know much about GOOD webcam, I don't think GOOD webcam with built in mic exists!!

But if you REALLY don't want to invest much then webcam may be the only device you need. be aware that in most cases "You will get what you pay for". When I started this hobby 2 years ago I started with very cheap webcam because I just wanted to learn the rope first. Now I gradually upgraded to decent camcorder that has the external mic socket and I invested in Good mic to compliment it.

Since you are about to begin, I'd say get any cheap webcam (they all have built in mic, for that matter) and learn by trial and error. At the worst you can always set your clips at "Private" or "Unlisted" in stead of "Public" and learn from your mistakes like I did
Just go for it (even while waiting for someone else's advices that may never come!), and good luck
Old 12-17-2011, 10:07 AM

Hi,

George Strait is great, but with all due respect, and recognizing that others are doing this anyway, performing George Strait or anyone else's music in your living room is OK, but publishing it on YouTube is a violation of the copyright of the person who wrote the song.

Remember those folks who got tossed out of school for plagiarizing their term papers? That's sort of the principal here

YouTube prefers to err on the side of fair play and after presenting a window that asks you if you own the piece or if you have secured the proper rights to the music.

I am hearing from an increasing number of people who are having their "covers" removed from YouTube because of this.

As to what you're looking for, maybe Music Minus One (http://www.musicminusone.com/) may have something for you, but you'd also have have to be sure that your use of the material can be put on YouTube.

About web cams; It depends on how good you want to sound. Web cam mics are too far away to sound good. The gear you use and the space in which you record also make a difference. So you're entering an area where technical details make a big difference. If you're not too picky, you get what you get.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 12-20-2011, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

There are lots of older songs in public domain that are yours to cover anywhere as much as you want.

I'd say the webcam with built in stereo mic is a great way to start out. Don't cheap out and get the best you can find.

If you really get into the YT thing, you will probably start wanting to upgrade both your video and audio components - but the webcam is the easiest way to start out.

Steve

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD