The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-22-2022, 09:12 PM
Charter Member

Default Is the used market primarily the rejects ?

No, not in my opinion. People are often trading and selling in order to try new guitars, to thin the herd, and because it’s time for other hobbies. Also, I may be in a smaller guitar phase, and don’t need so many of the larger ones, regardless of quality. Or maybe I’m moving up the price ladder of better guitars, and selling the more modestly priced ones. Those are now excellent value for someone in that price range.
Many times here I read someone say ‘I should never have sold that (fill in the blank), I wish I could get it back.’ So those aren’t rejects either.
Of course you’ll see some rejects, but I think it’s rare among quality sellers.
Old 05-22-2022, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurth View Post
Looking at the used guitar market, one wonders if these instruments were the ones players didn't want to keep ?
Obviously.

Same as with used cars. used houses, used books . . .
Old 05-23-2022, 12:05 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

There are lots of reasons that folks sell guitars that have nothing to do with the guitar itself. People’s musical styles change, folks want to upgrade, hand/shoulder/wrist injuries require different neck specs, etc. Some guitars might need work but many reputable dealers will deal with any issues regarding the guitar before they put it up for sale.
Best,
Jayne
Old 05-23-2022, 12:09 AM

I do not think so. In my case, I would have liked to keep all my guitars, but I always had to sacrifice some to get another supposedly better one.

2023 Loef 00 13 fret
2018 Loef Dread SS 12 fret
1972 Yamaha FG-75 Red Label
2017 Kremona Romida rd-c
Old 05-23-2022, 07:32 AM

I have purchased used guitars and they were terrific guitars regardless that someone else didn't want them. I have also sold really nice guitars for various reasons and a few of those I really miss.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 05-23-2022, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellHawaii View Post
No, not in my opinion. People are often trading and selling in order to try new guitars, to thin the herd, and because it’s time for other hobbies. ...
Of course you’ll see some rejects, but I think it’s rare among quality sellers.
I think the 'trying new guitars' and 'thinning the herd' explanations work for guitars in the $500-2,000 range and maybe a little beyond it. However, the 'special' guitar that cost the buyer an arm and a leg first time round, I cannot help but feel is being sold because it was a disappointment. Few people would shell out the big bucks required for such as Goodall, Collings, and the higher-ticket models of the 'the big three' if they did not intend the guitar to be a life guitar, I think. This has been so in my own experience. There have been a few instruments which cost me in the ballpark of $3,500-4,000 and did not live up to my expectations of them.
Old 05-23-2022, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

Absolutely not! Or at least, very unlikely!!

I've owned probably 40 guitars in 10 years as I just like trying new things and I don't like keeping more than 3 guitars at a time. So when something new peaks me interest, something old must make way.

That said, I do get a little 'concerned' when I see a guitar show up several times in short order in the classifieds. But even then it might just be a case of a player not bonding with a guitar.

I owned at least one guitar that showed up in the classifieds several times in a row that ended up being a great guitar. Then after I sold it, it again was bought and sold several more times. I almost re-bought it myself!
Old 05-23-2022, 08:18 AM

In some cases maybe yes. Having said that, one person's reject is another's sought after instrument. One thing this forum has taught me is that my personal tastes and preferences are not everybody else's and vise versa.

I say play what you like regardless of price, or what's on the headstock.
Old 05-23-2022, 08:36 AM

I traded for 4 guitars, through this forum and all 4 were FANTASTIC guitars! I was in the "searching" mode for quite a while and it took me some time to find guitars, that I could be satisfied with. I've only bought 3 guitars, new, out of the 12 I've owned and not a single ones of the used ones, were rejects, or bad guitars. EVERY guitar I've traded for, from forum members, was EXACTLY as they were listed and every transaction was super easy to do. My first Bourgeois , I traded for, was listed as mint and I went over that guitar, multiple times and it looked like it'd never even been played. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to buy used!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 05-23-2022, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Let's face it, the word reject is a loaded pejorative. I buy and sell a bunch of guitars, but I can't remember any one that failed to meet certain standards. I've sold guitars that I liked, didn't like, needed money to buy another, wanted to thin the herd, and currently am transitioning to owning three carbon fiber Emerald guitars. But that's on me, not the guitars I've sold...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-23-2022, 08:54 AM

I bought a few used rejects and its my fault for buying without trying.

1. Santa Cruz D-pre war---was just terrible, harsh trebles, no bass, unbelievably overly responsive, I hated it for weeks trying different strings and saddles so gave up and sold her.

2. Larrive D-09--pretty much the same story with a crappy low grade ebony rough fret board. That crap is gone--

3. Martin 000 slotted glossy top--hated the Micarta fret board after awhile, not much volume too--

1933 Gibson L-00
2007 Taylor 110
2013 Taylor GS Mini
2018 Eastman E10M
1977 Sigma DR-9
2012 Republic Miniolian
2016 Recording King ROS-G9M
Old 05-23-2022, 09:01 AM

A sound guy whom I respect was on the board one evening and I was planning on playing both my Gibson J45 and Goodall CJ. All it took was his off-the-cuff comment that the Gibson fit my voice better than the Goodall and the Goodall was sold within two months.
Old 05-23-2022, 09:29 AM

I’m quite happy with my stable of rejects!
Old 05-23-2022, 09:45 AM

Two things:

Potential reason (even a probable reason) for it being on the market is not definitive. "But you're taking a chance, aren't you, that it is a reject?" one might say. Well, every new guitar still unsold has possibly been rejected by more than one potential buyer. Some potential buyers rejected this example new guitar so completely they never even looked at it, perhaps because of what they "know" about the brand, design, or some feature that are deal killers to them.

Every guitar ever made will have two eventual fates: it will be destroyed (intentionally or unintentionally) or it will be sold (once or more times). This would include some notional "greatest guitar every made" as well as the next how many million made each year.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 05-23-2022, 09:47 AM

Sometimes a good guitar only needs a decent setup to become a great or fantastic guitar. A lot of great guitars get sold because somebody is ready for something different or something new.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion