The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-12-2022, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_In_Tampa View Post
No no no!! I didn't take it that way at all. Believe me, I am incredibly frustrated that I can't pick up my new strat and start shredding it like SRV. I am the original "instant gratification" kid.
Do you know who didn't shred like Stevie Ray Vaughn when he was starting out? Stevie Ray Vaughn.

It is a journey to enjoy. The worst day of playing that you will ever have is the day that you picked up the guitar. Every day after that you will be better. If it does not seem so, that is because you are challenging your limits, which is how you do get better as a player.
Old 04-12-2022, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Do you know who didn't shred like Stevie Ray Vaughn when he was starting out? Stevie Ray Vaughn.

It is a journey to enjoy. The worst day of playing that you will ever have is the day that you picked up the guitar. Every day after that you will be better. If it does not seem so, that is because you are challenging your limits, which is how you do get better as a player.
Excellent point. The good Lord blessed me with a few gifts. Unfortunately, patience wasn't one of them. But you are 100% right. I've been trying to practice for at least an hour every day. I *think* I'm doing okay so far. Hard to tell with only 1 lesson under my belt. Hoping to get a "good job" from the teacher on Thursday. Today I had an amusing moment with the guitar repair guy. He asked me when I needed the Martin back. I told him my guitar playing career is exactly a week and a half old. So there's really no rush. Haven't booked any concert dates just yet.

I did find out that a guy I work with and my boss play guitar. My boss joked that we should start a band and play at the Christmas party for our company this year. I know he was joking, but it's an intriguing thought I must admit.
Old 04-25-2022, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Very nice. I've also followed the thread. What a great story. A recommendation: write up the story and keep it in the case pocket. That way if anything every happens to you, there will be a record of the guitar's "provenience."

I have a 1957 00-18, obtained from the original owner. He was in his mid-80s, and didn't play it any more. None of his kids nor grandkids played, so his ukeule buddies convinced him the right thing to do was to release it into the wild so someone who appericated it would get it. I happened to walk into my friends guitar store where the owner was selling it. I love 00-18s, asked to play it. Really dug it. Asked the year. When he tol me I noted that I am also a 1957 vintage. Afer I played it a bit more I asked my friend not to put it on the wall just. yet. He turned to the former owner and said " meet the new owner of your guitar.

And yes, that story is in the case pocket...

Don't be afraid of having to replace the saddle or nut. That will only detract value to someone who wants to buy a 1949 Chevy with the original tires and spark plugs.

What you are trying to do is restore the guitar's playability to as near-new as you can, so you can play the thing for the next few decades. The work that I had done on my '57 (Reset, frets, saddle) will probably outlive me. Neck resets, saddle and nuts are like putting on new tires or getting a tune up. The crack is structural: easy enough to glue or cleat from the inside. Most old guitars have a few small repairs.

Does your neck reset include new frets? If they are worn, now is the time, so the geometry can all be properly adjusted at once.

You will probably want to use light strings on it. They will feel heavy enough coming from your Strat. I like John Pearse Phosphor Bronze, although you might like something like coated Elixer Nanowen PBs down there in the Florida mugginess.

Let us know how you get along with it. And congratulations.

TW
My apologies. I was reading through the thread to make sure I didn't miss anything, and I noticed that I forgot to respond to your post!

The idea of writing down the history of the guitar is an AWESOME idea!! I will absolutely do that. I have 2 grandkids and 3 more on the way, and I'm hoping one (or more!) of them picks up learning guitar so they can have the Martin when I'm gone. A written history of the guitar will be an awesome thing to pass along.

I love the story of the 1957 you picked up! That kind of story is just priceless.

Still waiting to get mine back from the repair shop. No news on it yet. They didn't tell me it needed any fret work. But I told him to call me if he finds anything else that needs fixed, so... So far, so good.

Thanks again for the suggestions!!

Last edited by Rick_In_Tampa; 04-26-2022 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Just heard it's triplets and not twins!
Old 04-26-2022, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Congrats! My 1950 00-18 shows significantly more wear than yours from years of hard play, has a couple of repaired cracks, and had a neck reset. It came with the same tuners, Brazilian Rosewood fret board and bridge, and the top and mahogany neck, sides, and back look like identical wood to yours. It sounds incredible, is very comfortable to play, and could easily be the one year younger brother of yours that had a rougher life. 😊
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 04-26-2022, 06:51 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
Congrats! My 1950 00-18 shows significantly more wear than yours from years of hard play, has a couple of repaired cracks, and had a neck reset. It came with the same tuners, Brazilian Rosewood fret board and bridge, and the top and mahogany neck, sides, and back look like identical wood to yours. It sounds incredible, is very comfortable to play, and could easily be the one year younger brother of yours that had a rougher life. 😊
After reading all of the comments in here about my guitar I am even more pleased to have inherited such a wonderful instrument. It needed some love and attention so it's still in the shop, but I hope to bring her home in a few weeks. Hopefully it plays as well as your little treasure does too.

Hope to share some pictures when it finally comes home. Would love to see your baby too.

Thanks for your post!
Old 05-21-2022, 06:06 PM

So I was finally able to get the Martin back today. From what I can tell they did a really good job. The man who did the work (Hunter) had me stop in last Saturday to show me how the bridge nut was low on the one end, and to do a perfect setup, the bridge would need to be replaced. However, it wasn't bad enough that it absolutely *had* to be replaced; and since it is nearly impossible to get the same wood; we decided that less than perfect was perfect enough. So we kept the original equipment. So it has a newly aligned neck, new strings, and the pick guard cracks are fixed. Hunter told me the guitar would last another 70 years easily, and once again he offered to take it off my hands. Lol.. Even the cashier said they all played it and really enjoyed it. I used what little guitar knowledge I've learned in the past 6 weeks to pluck a few strings, and the guitar sounds amazing. I couldn't be any happier and I know my dad is smiling down on me and his guitar. Now I need to show them my appreciation by learning how to play it properly. This I will do!!

As a side note, I also dropped off my new Fender Strat last Saturday for a setup, and it plays really well now too! I think I found my "go-to" guitar shop!

Thanks to everyone for all your tips and advice! It really payed off for me and I'm forever greatfull to you all.
Old 05-22-2022, 12:30 AM

Yay, a happy ending!
Fantastic news, that sounds like one very special guitar.
Old 05-22-2022, 03:13 AM

Thought you might enjoy seeing another vintage 00-18 in action. David is a great musician and teacher, he has alot of great material online. If you want to skip to the 7:00 mark he talks about his guitar. Enjoy yours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g18V4pQBeU
Old 05-22-2022, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_In_Tampa View Post
So I was finally able to get the Martin back today. From what I can tell they did a really good job. The man who did the work (Hunter) had me stop in last Saturday to show me how the bridge nut was low on the one end, and to do a perfect setup, the bridge would need to be replaced. However, it wasn't bad enough that it absolutely *had* to be replaced; and since it is nearly impossible to get the same wood; we decided that less than perfect was perfect enough. So we kept the original equipment. So it has a newly aligned neck, new strings, and the pick guard cracks are fixed. Hunter told me the guitar would last another 70 years easily, and once again he offered to take it off my hands. Lol.. Even the cashier said they all played it and really enjoyed it. I used what little guitar knowledge I've learned in the past 6 weeks to pluck a few strings, and the guitar sounds amazing. I couldn't be any happier and I know my dad is smiling down on me and his guitar. Now I need to show them my appreciation by learning how to play it properly. This I will do!!

As a side note, I also dropped off my new Fender Strat last Saturday for a setup, and it plays really well now too! I think I found my "go-to" guitar shop!

Thanks to everyone for all your tips and advice! It really payed off for me and I'm forever greatfull to you all.
Rick, so glad to hear it worked out how you envisioned, and they did your Dad's guitar proud! Hunter does "Vintage" as good as any out there, which is why I did not hesitate to recommend them. The whole crew @ Seven C Music is great and will treat you right, as you have discovered. Enjoy your new Heirloom instrument!
Old 05-22-2022, 08:15 AM

I just discovered this thread and read the whole thing. What a great story! Congratulations.... sounds like the guitar has a very worthy home.
Un branded Chinese guitar with lotsa bling
Old 05-22-2022, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatfingers12 View Post
I just discovered this thread and read the whole thing. What a great story! Congratulations.... sounds like the guitar has a very worthy home.
Thank you Sir! I certainly hope I'm worthy. I plan to play it until I get to go see dad again.
Old 05-22-2022, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak2525 View Post
Rick, so glad to hear it worked out how you envisioned, and they did your Dad's guitar proud! Hunter does "Vintage" as good as any out there, which is why I did not hesitate to recommend them. The whole crew @ Seven C Music is great and will treat you right, as you have discovered. Enjoy your new Heirloom instrument!
They are a great group of people. Everyone there seems to just love what they do. They are very welcoming and take the time to talk to you like a musician and not just another guy with a debit card. Like I said, I think I found my go-to guitar store! Thanks for pointing me in their direction.
Old 05-22-2022, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
Thought you might enjoy seeing another vintage 00-18 in action. David is a great musician and teacher, he has alot of great material online. If you want to skip to the 7:00 mark he talks about his guitar. Enjoy yours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g18V4pQBeU
Wow! What an awesome video! That guy is like my brother from another mother. He and I share the same attitude. Very refreshing to hear someone else say to not get caught up in the details of things that really don't matter. I've been an IT guy for many decades now. People always ask me what the best computer is to buy or the best monitor, etc. and so on. I used to tell them, the "best" of anything is the thing that will do what you need it to do to your satisfaction.

Thanks for sharing the video!
Old 05-22-2022, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontewright View Post
Yay, a happy ending!
Fantastic news, that sounds like one very special guitar.
It is more than just special to me.
Old 05-23-2022, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuestionMark View Post
My suggestion is to contact Gruhn’s Guitars in Nashville. They are the gurus and experts in vintage guitars. For a not unreasonable fee they will give you an appraisal of your guitar from photographs. They also on the phone are usually very willing to talk for free about vintage guitars, specific models, what to look for, and repair suggestions if any.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff
Just to follow up with your suggestion... After I picked up the guitar Saturday, I took a mess of pictures hopped on Gruhn's website and paid for their online appraisal. I got their reply yesterday and according to them, it's valued at $6K. Seems a bit low to me based on all of the various inputs I've received, but that's what they said. Since I'm not selling it, it really doesn't matter. But now I have something to base an insurance policy on.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion