The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-13-2022, 10:52 AM

Default SBT connected to onboard Fishman Presys preamp

Hi!
I have a Cort MRF710F that has a Fishman Presys preamp with Sonicore UST.
I will add a SBT pickup (jorneytek) to the guitar.
First i was thinking on add another hole on guitar to keep both pickups working. But is it ok to connect the JorneyTek SBT to the fishman presys? Will I have sound benefits from it?

I will use it with a FLOW 8 mixer that have parametric eq. So I dont care about onboard eq. But a tunner, volume control and impedance matching is handy.

Thanks!
Old 05-17-2022, 02:46 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by danuco View Post
Hi!
First i was thinking on add another hole on guitar to keep both pickups working. But is it ok to connect the JorneyTek SBT to the fishman presys? Will I have sound benefits from it?

I will use it with a FLOW 8 mixer that have parametric eq. So I dont care about onboard eq. But a tunner, volume control and impedance matching is handy.

Thanks!
Dan,
Before drilling another hole, try substituting the SBT for the UST to make sure you like it. While they are more prone to woofy feedback, they also sound a lot better than most UST.

You may just be happy with the SBT alone.

I installed an LR Bags Anthem system, and substituted a Fishman SBT for the Baggs saddle transducer, and it works well.

Location, though, is everything when it comes to SBT's, so be patient.

Best,
Howard Emerson
Old 05-17-2022, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danuco View Post
Hi!

Thanks!
Hi,
I'm not familiar with JorneyTek SBT - is it like K&K Pure Mini clone?
It might work, but you may encounter to hot output from SBT for Presys preamp resulting in distorted sound.
You won't know unless you check it
My advice is to cut the wire from the Sonicore in UST somewhere in between pickup and preamp and solder 3.5mm female jack (good quality/gold plated connectors recommended) to the newly developed pickup input wire. Solder male 3.5mm plug to the end of SBT cable, mount SBT, connect plug/socket and try if and how it works for you.
In case of unsatisfying results, you can re-solder 3.5mm plug to Sonicore cable and continue using it.
Old 05-19-2022, 06:37 PM

Thanks for the reply! As soon as my new pickup arrive i will test it alone. I was just afraid to use it directly to my boss OC5 without a preamp (i have no external preamp), but i will try anyway!

I have also bought a chinese skysonic A910 that is a mag + SBT. I will do some tests with all of them and choose which to use. If i am not using the ust anymore, i will cut the wire to make some tests with onboard preamp!

I have already a SBT called Rango (chinese also). I like the sound of it, but the boss OC5 cannot track it very well. The octave down is much better when using the ust, so thats why i am thinking of keeping both in paralell. Lets see how oc5 works with Mag+SBT.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification