The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-13-2022, 12:35 PM

Default Can you go wireless between pedals and mixer?

Gang,
can you tell me..is there any way to eliminate the wires from my board TO the mixer? I am going to be going wireless INTO my Play Acoustic both guitar and microphone. To keep is as clutter free as possible, I'd really like to have NO WIRES going from Play Acoustic to the Yamaha Mixer. Can it be done?
Thanks again for your time.
Tommy
Old 05-13-2022, 12:57 PM

Xvive u3. Xlr to xlr. Wireless. Rechargeable. Be mindful of bandwidth interference and line of sight setup for best results.
Old 05-13-2022, 01:08 PM

Yes.

I did that (and described it in a couple of threads) a couple of years ago.

I played open mics and getting on and off stage with as little fol-de-rol as possible was attractive to me. So I designed this system to eliminate all cabling.

Wireless from (headworn) microphone to pedalboard
Wireless from guitar to pedalboard
Pedals and Vocal harmonizer on pedalboard all self-contained
Wireless for the voice signal from pedalboard to house PA mixer
Wireless for guitar from pedalboard to house PA mixer

Kind of neat in concept. Go up on stage, plop down my pedalboard, hand two receivers to the House PA and do the sound check and start playing. No wires at all.

Drawbacks. I have to turn on nine (or eleven) power switches (battery power on the pedal board for the pedals and 4 transmitter-receiver pairs) and depend on each transceiver pair to link up. Then there is also the potential for interference with each other or cell phones, WIFI signals and such, plus bluetooth delays.

2 switches each (transmitter and receiver) for each wireless connection (That's eight so far)
1&2) guitar to board
3&4) microphone to board
5&6) board to guitar input on the PA
7&8) board to microphone input on the PA
and
9) The main power supply to the board (which powers the harmonizer

10) Then there is my computer which has my lead sheets
11) and the wireless page turner I put on the floor to page through the lead sheets on the computer.

That is a lot of switches.

It does work, but CoVid and hand surgery has prevented me from actually using it in public performance. But it worked fine at home.

See this thread:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=607422

Last edited by Lost Sheep; 05-13-2022 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-14-2022, 08:17 AM

Most wireless systems will introduce a little latency (delay) while they do their thing, usually the a/d-d/a conversion process. This is not really a problem when using lots of systems in parallel, even your worst latency won't usually interfere with performance, however, when you connect them in series they add up and it can quickly become a distraction and spoil coordination between players and between a player and their instrument.

I've used a wireless guitar connection and an Xvive IEM system to connect to a Bose S1 pro with no noticeable issues.
Old 05-14-2022, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

When you start getting too many wireless transmitters and receivers in one place (especially inexpensive ones), and add in a bunch of other wireless devices like cell phones, tablets, routers and the like, you can suddenly discover an odd array of annoying glitches and connection problems that may not show up when you’re testing, alone, in your home. Consider using a simple snake cable or similar, so you still have trouble-free wired connections, but only 1 cable to deal with. Wireless is very nice, but best used minimally, and where it offers you the most convenience. And always carry back-up cables -
Old 05-14-2022, 04:12 PM

A slightly different approach - the Wi Digital wireless system here or something similar would happily take your headphone signal and send it across short distances between units, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
...always carry back-up cables -
...is also wise.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification