The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-09-2022, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

Default Ovation pickup Replacement (6 string, 3/8")

Hello, curious if anyone has any guidance on where to procure a replacement pickup for an Ovation? I looked through older threads and hit dead ends. Thommen music is out of stock. Reverb has one but the seller does not have the exact part number.

Does anyone know another place to procure a replacement pickup?

thanks!
Old 05-09-2022, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlooz View Post
Hello, curious if anyone has any guidance on where to procure a replacement pickup for an Ovation? I looked through older threads and hit dead ends. Thommen music is out of stock. Reverb has one but the seller does not have the exact part number.

thanks!
You can buy directly from Ovation on their website, in the replacement parts section:

https://www.ovationguitars.com/replacementparts-pickups
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 05-09-2022, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

I spoke with Ovation and they dont sell of their site them per se. But thanks for the suggestion.
Old 05-09-2022, 03:38 PM

You're not, of course, obliged to replace like with like.

My experience with Ovations is very limited but I remember them as having wonderful necks and horrible pickups, and that awful shaped belly-bowl, which since then I have also developed myself.

The world of Ovation may be completely different these days so feel free to disregard the failing memory of a bitter old cynic.

On the other hand, if you're not playing crazy loud there's always K&K, etc.

I once had a guy turn up at a gig I was tech-ing with a dead Ovation Balladeer. After changing batteries and leads to no avail I stuck an AKG 411pp (or maybe 401) contact mic behind the bridge. When he hit it hard it bottomed out early but for fingerpicking it was maybe the best sound I've ever heard.
Old 05-09-2022, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlooz View Post

thanks!
Al Pepp at Lost Art Vintage will likely be able to take care of you. I'm not sure if his web-site ordering app has been fixed as it wouldn't work last time I tried ordering something from him. It's best to call his phone number as you can converse on exactly what you need for a replacement pickup.

856-933-0374 Lost Art Vintage
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 05-09-2022, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Thanks SpruceTop! I left a message. Really appreciate it!
Old 05-10-2022, 07:20 AM

Try Dusty at mydustyguitar.com

Very helpful. If he doesn't have what you are looking for, he can give recommendations. Seems the Ovation company has sold to a German Corporation. In correspondence from them, they tell me that the entire stock of Ovation parts has been lost in the last two transfers of the company.

As for me... I purchased an Adamas W597 which had an Optima Pro Preamp system. I got in touch with Dusty and was unable to find a replacement, so I went to a K&K Pure Classic system, which is working fine. I play out 4-5 nights a week and it has not let me down.

Best of luck with your Ovation. It appears these wonderful old guitars will continue to become more scarce in this country. They are still building new ones, but not in this country. The quality of some of the newer models leaves a lot to be desired. If what you have plays well and suits your taste, I would hold onto it. They are amazing instruments and do better than any other acoustic guitar when played through a PA system. Personally, I don't think any other acoustic cuts through a rowdy Friday bar crowd like one of these. Some folks grouse about their sound when played quietly at home, but I've always considered them something more than just an acoustic guitar.
Old 05-10-2022, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

@MarvinLee,

Thanks for the suggestion. I had left Dusty a message yesterday. He called me this morning and I ordered a new pickup from him - he was super cool.

My Ovation is an '83 1537 and I too consider it more than just an acoustic. Having played them out live for years (a ways back) and selling them off, I found this one locally and am the 2nd owner. I wont be letting this one go. It is a beast and has incredible mojo. Plugged or unplugged, it sounds incredible.

I considered putting a K&K in there and am stoked that is an option should this new one ever falter.

Cheers!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification