The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 03-26-2022, 04:30 PM

Default Locals Bands Done Good

We've quite the boom in locals bands in these parts. Here's a few:
The Tillers-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpeq853HlAQ
Buffalo Wabs & The Price Hill Hustle-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6BOLlG7pDA
Rumpke Mountain Boys-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMrF3Q4RI9U
Old 03-26-2022, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

It's been a while since any locals bands where I live got national attention. That last one was Nirvana.

- Glenn
Old 03-28-2022, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
It's been a while since any locals bands where I live got national attention. That last one was Nirvana.

- Glenn
What about The Melvins?
Old 03-28-2022, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

I worked with a surgeon who was quite an accomplished guy - he went to West Point, went to med school, became a top surgeon. A lot of guys in his neighborhood followed a similar path. Except for two brothers who seemed to have no ambition in life except to sit around all day and play guitar. They even started themselves a little band. He said he often wondered what became of Dean and Robert DeLeo.
Old 03-28-2022, 04:04 PM

It's been a few years back, but our band played a double bill with local girl Alison Krauss at the Homer fireworks July 4th celebration. I listened to her perform and remember saying "Not too shabby for a 16 year old!".

There must be something in the water here because there have been several nationally successful bands that got their start here. I used to go to our local watering hole to hear Noam Pikelny. Since so many of these folks came to school here it was natural for them to start bands as college friends.
Old 03-29-2022, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

A few I really liked, but their impact was more regional than national. NRBQ is from just up the road, and Max Creek was one of the first jam bands (both are still around in some form). Duke Robillard grew up not too far away, and I got to see him a lot.

Michael Bolton and Javier Colon are from nearby. My mom is a fan, and I have to admit they are both great singers.
Old 03-29-2022, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
I worked with a surgeon who was quite an accomplished guy - he went to West Point, went to med school, became a top surgeon. A lot of guys in his neighborhood followed a similar path. Except for two brothers who seemed to have no ambition in life except to sit around all day and play guitar. They even started themselves a little band. He said he often wondered what became of Dean and Robert DeLeo.
STP!

Jay and the Americans, Run DMC and LL Cool J, all from my home town of Queens NY baby!
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 03-29-2022, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
What about The Melvins?
Yes, the Melvins were from the Grays Harbor area. Did they get any kind of national exposure? I didn't pay any attention to either the Melvins or Nirvana.

- Glenn
Old 03-29-2022, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

I lived just West of London, so there weer quite a few.
Yardbirds, Jeff Beck, the Artwoods (Ronnies bro), Downliners Sect (still playing!) Rod Stewart, John Baldry, The Faces, The Who, Pink Floyd, The Kinks, and some blokes called the Rolling Stones played around there quite a bit.
I only found out relatively recently that Freddie Mercury (Farrokh Bulsara) lived less than two miles from me when I was a drummer, back in the day.
Old 03-29-2022, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Oh, I forgot a pianist called Reggie Dwight (Elton John) lived about 15 miles away as did a guitarist known locally as "Earache Clappedout" - can't remember his real name now.
Old 03-30-2022, 07:17 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
It's been a few years back, but our band played a double bill with local girl Alison Krauss at the Homer fireworks July 4th celebration. I listened to her perform and remember saying "Not too shabby for a 16 year old!".

I saw her at The Ark in Ann Arbor at that same time (a few years back - LOL) They were opening for Tony Rice. If memory serves she only sang 3 songs during her set, the rest was instrumental. It wasn't too long after someone from N-ville heard that voice and the rest is history.

My hometown had Stevie Wonder, Sonny Stitt, Question Mark and the Mysterians, and more recently (and a few miles down the road) Greta Van Fleet.

Old 04-01-2022, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
What about The Melvins?
MxPx was out of Bremerton and did pretty well through the mid 90's and early 2000's. I dont know the actual figures but I think they might have got more recognition than the Melvins. Here in Alberta we had a band called Belvedere in about that same time frame, I dont think they ever caught on in the USA but they still tour Europe pretty regularly.

Last edited by Bushleague; 04-01-2022 at 06:17 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN