The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-20-2022, 12:52 PM

Default Help with Fire-eye Red-eye preamp

Hi everyone,

I just purchased a Red-eye preamp and I'm going to put together a small pedalboard running to an acoustic amp. Pedals will include Polytune 3 mini, EQ of some sort, Boss DD-7, Boss RV-6, Ditto looper.

Through some online research (a dangerous thing...), I'm learning I run my guitar cable into the instrument jack of the Red-eye, then run out and back to my pedal sequence using the Effects out/in jacks, and finally a male xls to 1/4 inch cable through the Red-eye balanced jack to my amp.

What say you? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Dogsnax; 02-20-2022 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-20-2022, 01:22 PM

Sounds good to me.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-20-2022, 01:23 PM

Instrument > Red Eye (FX loop) > Boss Tuner > LR Baggs Align EQ > LR Baggs Align Session > Boss Chorus (infrequent use) > Yamaha Mixer (use reverb on mixer)

Use tuner as mute and Red Eye Boost for finger picking. Treble boost on Red Eye provides quick and easy high end boost.

2 guitars – 1 with JJB, 1 with Journey Tek. (6 db gain boost on JJB.)

rb
Old 02-20-2022, 03:43 PM

Thanks RB....after reading your post I did a bit more research and I think your approach is what I'm looking for. I can use the Red-eye as a pre-amp only by running it first on the pedalboard, out the Effects out jack to my pedal sequence:

Red-eye (Effects out) > Polytune > EQ > DD-7 > RV-6 > Ditto > amp

My original strategy would work if I wanted to use the Red-eye as a pre-amp and a DI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb1591 View Post
Instrument > Red Eye (FX loop) > Boss Tuner > LR Baggs Align EQ > LR Baggs Align Session > Boss Chorus (infrequent use) > Yamaha Mixer (use reverb on mixer)

Use tuner as mute and Red Eye Boost for finger picking. Treble boost on Red Eye provides quick and easy high end boost.

2 guitars – 1 with JJB, 1 with Journey Tek. (6 db gain boost on JJB.)

rb
Old 02-20-2022, 07:08 PM

I use minimal effects. Into RedEye 1/4" input, then daisy chain pedals through the effects send and receive, then out the balanced XLR output to my amp or house PA. This also allows it to run on phantom power. I have an older redeye that doesn't have the separate 9 - 18 volt input like the newer ones do.
Old 02-20-2022, 07:41 PM

Thanks Mandobart! I'm going to give both methods a try. XRL out or just through the Effects output.

I have the newer version with the 9V neg pole input, which will be nice on a pedal board. This one also had a Ground / Lift switch which allows you to eliminate 60 cycle hum if you're connected to both the board via the XLR and a stage amp via the Effects out jack - interesting feature and useful if one uses an amp on stage as a monitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
I use minimal effects. Into RedEye 1/4" input, then daisy chain pedals through the effects send and receive, then out the balanced XLR output to my amp or house PA. This also allows it to run on phantom power. I have an older redeye that doesn't have the separate 9 - 18 volt input like the newer ones do.
Old 02-21-2022, 06:25 PM

I use Mandobart’s method and I’m happy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification