The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-25-2022, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
All, thanks so much for the feedback. It is really helpful to learn about what you’ve done to your gear.

Chickee, I’ll be sharing your component changes to your guitar and X2 with my son. His Super Champ is an XD. Actually, his younger brother is equipped with the same Strat and Amp. I have an XD as well, though I don’t play my American Strat ‘57 Reissue very much as I’ve long been much more of an acoustic guy.
Acousticado,
I just wanted you to be aware that the tube and speaker upgrades I did on my X2’s can also be done on the SuperChamp XD’s, just in case you were interested.
frank d.
Old 01-25-2022, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
The O.P. states his son is using a Super Champ and a MIM Strat. A terrific home combination.
thx! I read the first post a few times, somehow missed.. maybe not in the opening post?

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 01-25-2022, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
thx! I read the first post a few times, somehow missed.. maybe not in the opening post?
"We also bought him a Fender Super Champ amp at the same time."
Old 01-25-2022, 11:00 PM
Charter Member

Like the OP, I question the need to upgrade that particular guitar, it kinda sounds like his son is enjoying the possibilities of all that eye candy and ready to try other brands, etc.

I'm sure some folks can't hear upgrades in pots and switches and maybe wire, it's a small thing but it's also one of the factors that makes some guitars (of the same style) better than others.

I have a client, young guy (truly a monster jazz player with great ears, when he plays the tele it sounds like a big jazz box archtop) who had me put one of my necks on his American Standard Tele, he said the volume unplugged had increased and felt more "acoustic". He replaced the stock pickups w/ a set of dimarzio AREA T. A year later he wanted a new bridge/saddles to replace the OEM Gotoh bridge with the brand and style I use on my guitars,.. a cold rolled steel bridge plate and three brass saddles by Glendale. Oh, and his pots are scratchy and the knobs spin,.... so I replaced the silly S1 controls w/ American made pots and switch CTS and CRL,..

The bridge/saddles and the neck were a big deal in sound (sustain, fatness) but the upgrade to the controls and getting that tone sucking stock fender S1 system out was the gravy. So, IMO, yes, components matter.

Last edited by stephenT; 01-25-2022 at 11:09 PM.
Old 01-28-2022, 09:28 AM

Fighting someone else's GAS is a hard battle. Just think how hard it is to fight your own. Fatherly advice is a great thing - I have a guitarist son the same age as yours, and he listens to me because he understands that I've been through a lot of the same things. However, in the end he has to find out for himself what to do, and it's not always what I would do. I wouldn't have it any other way. There's no lesson learned like the one you learn yourself.
Old 01-28-2022, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

ghostnote. that's some Grade A wisdom...
Old 01-28-2022, 07:17 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostnote View Post
Fighting someone else's GAS is a hard battle. Just think how hard it is to fight your own. Fatherly advice is a great thing - I have a guitarist son the same age as yours, and he listens to me because he understands that I've been through a lot of the same things. However, in the end he has to find out for himself what to do, and it's not always what I would do. I wouldn't have it any other way. There's no lesson learned like the one you learn yourself.
Absolutely! I do reinforce this with my son. I’m just hoping to share as much info as I can to help him make HIS decision. Whatever he decides to do, we’ll share the benefit of learning from and playing with each other.

I briefly saw him yesterday. A friend of his has lent him his Les Paul which I had a short glimpse of...not sure which variety, but not an expensive one, so he’s enjoying comparing with his Strat. So, he’s also discussing this with a few playing friends. He’s taking his time, soaking in whatever advice he gets and generally seems to be going about it the right way. I’m just happy he’s including me in his journey.

Last edited by Acousticado; 01-29-2022 at 02:38 AM.
Old 01-28-2022, 10:09 PM
Charter Member

That Fender is fine. Seems to me if he's going down Electric Avenue, the next logical step, other than perhaps an amp upgrade, would be a pedal board.
This is mine...
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 01-31-2022, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
Personally, I think the improvement from component swaps would be real but marginal. It also doesn't sound like it addresses the issue, which is that he's young and really doesn't know what he wants. So, based on what I've read here, it doesn't sound like it'll scratch his itch.

I would also say that MIMs are very good as they are and often sound like Strats used to 50 years ago. Even the humble Squier Bullet can be left alone to get a legit classic tone.

Swapping out stuff is fun and some enjoy the experience. But a MIM holds its own nicely.
Old 02-03-2022, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
I would also say that MIMs are very good as they are and often sound like Strats used to 50 years ago. Even the humble Squier Bullet can be left alone to get a legit classic tone.

Swapping out stuff is fun and some enjoy the experience. But a MIM holds its own nicely.
I have a Fender MIM that I'll never trade or sell. It was a NOS 2010 when I bought it more a year and a half ago--the plastic was still on the pickguard. I swapped the pickups to Seymour Duncan SSL-1s. That guitar is one of the sweetest Strats I've ever played!
Old 02-03-2022, 09:33 PM

I think Seymour Duncan SSL-1 strat pickups are some of the best out there.
Old 02-03-2022, 10:01 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmore Fan View Post
I have a Fender MIM that I'll never trade or sell. It was a NOS 2010 when I bought it more a year and a half ago--the plastic was still on the pickguard. I swapped the pickups to Seymour Duncan SSL-1s. That guitar is one of the sweetest Strats I've ever played!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyGuitar View Post
I think Seymour Duncan SSL-1 strat pickups are some of the best out there.
Thanks for this. I was hoping for a solid pickup recommendation to share with my son. BF, your first-hand experience with essentially the same guitar and TG, your reinforcement is appreciated. I’ll be letting him know.
Old 02-19-2022, 06:18 AM
Charter Member

Only Strat I have left, is my son's 2001 MIM that he left with me before joinging the Air Force.

He has now been in the service for 16 years. During the lockdown of 2021 I decided to do some upgrades.

Guitar is black, virtually unplayed.

Took apart and polished the body. Absolutely pristine. lined cavities with shielding tape.

Installed Calaham bridge with short trem arm, Sperzel locking tuners, roller string trees.

Next ordered a B/W/B S,S,S, pickguard installed 3 Seymore Duncan Li'l 59 PU's, CRL switch, CTS pots Orange drop caps, Switchcraft jack.

Tall black knurled knobs. Has the look of Vintage G&L.

Wired with vintage pushback wire .

Filed and rolled fret ends.

Complete setup.

Sweetest playing Mexico Strat you're ever likely to pick up.

Can set down a Les Paul and plug this one in without having to change pedal settings.

Best sounding Strat I've ever heard.
Old 02-19-2022, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

I haven't read the whole thread. Have you considered just going up to a heavier gauge string? My strat came alive with .11 strings

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars