The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-23-2021, 11:34 PM
Charter Member

Default Watched all of Star Trek:Voyager

I knew the ending was fairly abrupt, but the series did lead into it a little with Neelix leaving the ship.

At least it wasn't as bad as the ending of Enterprise.

Onward to Star Trek:The Next Generation. A little sappy for the first couple of seasons if I remember correctly. I never was a fan of Riker. I guess I can watch a few of the movies too.

The only thing I don't like about the Star Trek universe is The Borg. I'll probably skip over those episodes.

On the movies - I really liked the first reboot with Chris Pine. I wasn't too happy with the redesigned ST universe where Vulcan was destroyed in the later movie. Oh well, maybe they will reboot the reboots, lol.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 02-24-2021, 01:49 AM

Default Watched all of Star Trek:Voyager

We’re long time ST fans in our household! We’ve recently finished the whole of Voyager for the second time. I liked the ending but as you say, it came suddenly, and I feel they could have made it a double episode and spent more time on their arrival in the solar system and their feelings connected to it.

We really like the new series too - we’ve watched Picard as well as Discovery seasons 1 & 2 twice each and will get around to watching Discovery 3 again at some point.

Last night we watched Star Trek from 2009 again. Great film - and Pine does a great job of reinterpreting Kirk without totally reinventing the role. And it is in this film that Vulcan gets destroyed.

We really enjoyed Star Trek Into Darkness though I don’t feel Benedict Cumberbatch was the best casting - he’s an excellent actor, I just don’t think he made an excellent Kahn...

Of all series Next Generation is my favourite. Here the producers have got more right than wrong than any other series in the canon. I like the character of Riker though I wish the producers and directors had told the actor to walk straight...
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 02-24-2021, 03:27 AM

The good thing about changing history in the new movies is that they don't have to worry about continuity and we don't have to watch remakes of the same stories. It's like having a new series with old friends.

YouTube
Old 02-24-2021, 05:22 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

I am a long time trekkie. I love the characters in Voyager and their interplay. The writing, for the most part, is creative and enjoyable. And I appreciate that they bring in music and musicians...Harry playing the clarinet, the doctor singing opera, ( and it was determined in one episode in a legal exploration, that though the doctor isn't a person, he is a musician. As a musician myself, I can truly appreciate that distinction!) in one episode, Mahler is played when the ship is being taken over. Even 7 of 9 sings in some episodes.

I also appreciate how the characters aren't stereotypically defined by their gender.

I wish there had been a movie made after the end of the voyager series, but alas, it didn't happen.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 02-24-2021, 05:48 AM
Charter Member

Watched every episode of every offshoot, and every movie. Enterprise was my least favorite but still, I enjoyed it. Now waiting for the next season of Picard and Discovery. The Star Trek universe lives on.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 02-24-2021, 06:19 AM
Charter Member

We watched and enjoyed Picard a whole lot more than
I expected.

According to the never-wrong Innernet, the "changes"
and "differences" to canon in the Pine movies and in
the dreadful Discovery are all about lawyers and
the split between CBS and Paramount. Now CBS
and Paramount are the same company again...

-Mike
Old 02-24-2021, 07:17 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Science fiction writers have, from the beginning, felt entitled to put a wrench on your head and twist it for philosophical reasons. I get it. You just have to be strong enough to twist your head back to center-of-range when they get through with you. However, when they start cranking your head around 180 degrees and telling you that you are still facing forward? Nah. Jump the shark.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-24-2021, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Science fiction writers have, from the beginning, felt entitled to put a wrench on your head and twist it for philosophical reasons. I get it. You just have to be strong enough to twist your head back to center-of-range when they get through with you. However, when they start cranking your head around 180 degrees and telling you that you are still facing forward? Nah. Jump the shark.

Bob
If what you're saying is that Sci-Fi is a great way to keep a person from becoming stiff-necked, offers readers/viewers a chance to suspend disbelief and embrace alternate realities then I agree.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 02-24-2021, 08:55 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
If what you're saying is that Sci-Fi is a great way to keep a person from becoming stiff-necked, offers readers/viewers a chance to suspend disbelief and embrace alternate realities then I agree.
To an extent... What I meant is that, best I can tell, SciFi writers have always used their platform in an attempt to move the cultural philosophical needle. I can handle this practice when it is tacitly acknowledged by the writer and no attempt is made to claim that the alternate reality is anything other than a hypothetical world, food for thought. My line is crossed when the writer constructs an alternate philosophical reality and then attempts to convince me that it is actual reality or what reality should be. At that point the attempt is too close to gaslighting for me. IMHO that is the point that has been reached by the Star Trek franchise. This from a long-term trekker.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-24-2021, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
To an extent... What I meant is that, best I can tell, SciFi writers have always used their platform in an attempt to move the cultural philosophical needle. I can handle this practice when it is tacitly acknowledged by the writer and no attempt is made to claim that the alternate reality is anything other than a hypothetical world, food for thought. My line is crossed when the writer constructs an alternate philosophical reality and then attempts to convince me that it is actual reality or what reality should be. At that point the attempt is too close to gaslighting for me. IMHO that is the point that has been reached by the Star Trek franchise. This from a long-term trekker.

Bob
Interesting. I've also been a long-term trekker (O.S., Next Generation, DS9 and Voyager) but haven't seen any of the most recent offerings (Discovery, Picard, etc). I'm curious to know at what point you found the franchise to have gone off the rails.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 02-24-2021, 09:20 AM

I think Discovery is the best of all of them. Acting, story lines, time travel...it has it all.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:07 AM
AGF Sponsor

I haven’t seen the new subscription series yet. I watched all the rest, and I think I may be in the minority that I thought DS9 was the best overall series. I’m stuck about two seasons into a Voyager rewatch.

TNG is definitely the most “preachy” of the series, though Enterprise would try as well. But, I still love them all and watch them unlike The Orville which was simply heavy handed propaganda between gags.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 02-24-2021, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

We are a house divided. My wife loves Sci-Fi and I don't. I watched Discovery with her and tried to get into it. I think that I put up a good front. Before retirement she was VP of a software company and one of their interview questions when hiring was Star Trek or Star Wars. I asked her if she could even do that, hire someone based on what Sci-fi they liked. She told me that that it had to do with fitting into the culture anf who they were going to work with. I guess they segregated the Trekkies and The Star Wars people.. Anyway, I have a ukulele group that I do a zoom get together with once a week and she starts watching Star Trek re-runs before I get out of the room to go to them.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 02-24-2021, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

I might try Picard. I had no interest in Discovery. I had watched most of season one and didn't care for it. Too much "other" stuff was going on that I had no inclination to watch.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 02-24-2021, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

I have a toy web page. I just added an old cartoon with
some Star Trek in it...

https://hubcapsc.com/comics/blammo.html

-Mike

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic