The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-24-2021, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
When I first started down this road it was a time-consuming chore to get clean sounding comp tracks in Pro Tools. Just about every edit resulted in clicks or pops that you had to zoom all the way in on and correct with the drawing tool which didn't always do what you wanted it to do. When crossfades came along, it really cut down on the time it took to comp tracks. And now there's auto crossfades and it's even quicker.

But that *@&# drawing tool... the only way I got it to work was if I made a quick, smooth, sweep, and even then it was very hit or miss. It wasn't unusual to have to attempt the edit 4 or 5 times before you got a smooth line that wouldn't introduce another click or pop.
Yes, there's an art to how to paste in an edit or part of a different take without hearing a click. There may be some YouTube tutorial that tells a person how to do this, but I just figured out what to do through trial and error. I learned a few tricks from watching my son manipulate Cubase when we have done some projects together. These days I think I could do an edit without introducing any noise 100% of the time, though maybe I'm kidding myself!

When I worked with a team of 14 men and women running an engineering group, we learned so many different things from each other, especially when it comes to manipulating software. I really miss that kind of thing. Working in isolation has some disadvantages, although not getting interrupted constantly is one of the pluses.

- Glenn
Old 02-24-2021, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Yes, there's an art to how to paste in an edit or part of a different take without hearing a click.
I was referencing Pro Tools of the early 2000s. These days it's very rare that I hear a pop or click that needs addressing because of the improvements I mentioned. I don't know how they're handled in Cubase but in PT it's very easy to get a nice crossfade these days.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 02-26-2021, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I was referencing Pro Tools of the early 2000s. These days it's very rare that I hear a pop or click that needs addressing because of the improvements I mentioned. I don't know how they're handled in Cubase but in PT it's very easy to get a nice crossfade these days.
I agree It hardly gets any easier or faster than swipe/highlight the entire track hit Command F and choose X fade

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 02-26-2021, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I agree It hardly gets any easier or faster than swipe/highlight the entire track hit Command F and choose X fade
Do you go back as far as when we had to use the drawing tool to get rid of the pops and clicks that happened when we put segments up against each other?

YouTube
Old 02-26-2021, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Yes, there's an art to how to paste in an edit or part of a different take without hearing a click.
I never used Pro Tools, but remember zooming way in with CoolEdit 2000 to find the nearest zero crossing to make my cuts.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Do you go back as far as when we had to use the drawing tool to get rid of the pops and clicks that happened when we put segments up against each other?
Honestly I don't remember, what the fade situation was.
In either March or April , of 2003 I got a Digi 002, 8 mic pre console with faders and a firewire connection , which was Digi Designs top of line Pro Tools LE interface at the time . I believe it shipped with PTLE 6 (so whatever fade workflow that version was is what I started with )

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 02-26-2021 at 09:55 AM.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Honestly I don't remember, what the fade situation was.
In either March or April , of 2003 I got a Digi 002, 8 mic pre console with faders, which was Digi Designs top of line Pro Tools LE interface at the time . I believe it shipped with PTLE 6 (so whatever fade workflow that version was is what I started with )
Then you must have been using the drawing tool.

I got started about a year or so before you. My first interface was a Digi 001. I think the PTLE version was 5.something. Some years later I got the 003. I sent the 003 to Black Lion Audio for the mod they were offering. It opened up the sound a fair bit. I think I used the 003 up until the UA Apollo Firewire came out.

YouTube
Old 02-26-2021, 10:56 AM

Coming from razorblades, I honestly thought anything with "Undo" was miraculous. Taking three tries to get it right was just fine after the "only one try" paradigm.

Couch Standards
Old 02-26-2021, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Coming from razorblades, I honestly thought anything with "Undo" was miraculous. Taking three tries to get it right was just fine after the "only one try" paradigm.
Tape is great for hostages in the basement but I want no part of it in my studio. I can understand the joy that accompanied the conversion to digital.

YouTube
Old 02-26-2021, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Tape is great for hostages in the basement but I want no part of it in my studio. I can understand the joy that accompanied the conversion to digital.
Hey great song hook...." Dig-it-tal,,,, Conversion",,,,, think "Chrystal Blue Persuasion"

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 03-08-2021, 11:17 AM

Default Then, edited together in 8 parts

Just last week I recorded my own extended version of Page's "Bron Yr Aur" acoustic solo, His original track is a little over 2 minutes, but I wrote in/improvised a 4:38 minute version of it (alot of people wished the song was longer, so I tried to do something about that.
Heres the link if you are curious.

https://soundcloud.com/philip-donova.../bron-yr-aur-2

Pretty much most of the main parts of the song as I did it were recorded until I felt there were a few takes that contained minimal finger slips, bad squeaks, ghosted notes, rushed/dragged time, etc....

Then, in Reaper, (which provides wonderful editing tools)
I carefully edited the song together in about 8 different sections after listing to all the takes of each section, writing time location and notes, and then choose what I thought was the best one of the section.
If you look for it, you can hear subtle variations in EQ due to small differences in the angle and distance of the guitar from the microphones (used both a Line audio CM4 and one Little Blondie omni spread about 7-8 inches apart.

I can hear the edits, slightly, because "I" know exactly where they are and what the concerns were but, worked on them until I convinced myself no one but obsessive editing critiques who were searching for them would notice - but then again, my hearing ain't all it used to be.

For me, I proved to myself that this can be an approach to a long song if you are striving for near perfect performance but, are way too self critical to do a full real time performance without little hiccups in the performance that will drive you crazy for all eternity.

Best,
Phil Donovan

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD